Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Your Health is Your Responsibility" ? page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's my core belief and long has been.

Granted, it all only goes so far -- i mean, you do the best you can with what you know. But yes, I think it's ultimately our responsibility. Why would you give that up to someone else?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you do the best you can with what you know
    Totally agree. Doctors supplement this in case you're not sure, and you can move some of the liability to them. That is all.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmelazarus View Post
    understand that when you go to a grocery store or restaurant, 95% of the things available to you are unnatural and disease causing. That is the reality....you can choose to do what everyone else does, and be sick, or you can listen to me about which 5% won't hasten your appointment with a casket. I cannot do it for you even when you do decide to listen, so almost all of this is on you. I am just an advisor on keeping you alive. If that is something you're interested in, i will tell you how to the best of my knowledge. After that, my part is done.
    amen!
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree with your doctor. It's how I have been running my health for the last few years.
    The doctor has become a source of information for me but in the end I decide what's best for me.

Here in Holland many people still believe that the doctor is always right and that you should follow his advise to the teeth. However people seem to forget that the doctor is just an other human and can make mistakes. The doctor can't tell you how you feel, he can't see everything, so naturally his advise comes based on asumptions.

Yes, in some cases you need a doctor, most of the time it's because things are going on with your body that you can't fix yourself but it's still your choice.
    Every day you make choices, good or bad and you'll have to live with the consequences. Same goes for your health.

I visit the doctor regularly. They are my sounding-boards, they give me advise and sometimes they even give me tests or meds when I ask for them but it's me who decided which actions to take with all the info I can find...

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    ^ Yep. My parents take the word of the doctor like it's the law. In my entire life, I've always been far below the "You should drink 2 liters of water each day" line. I've never felt/been dehydrated. Our doctor recently told me that I should drink more (granted, I had diarrhea for a week or so, but still... It's over now, by the way ). At the time my parents kept pushing me to drink one more glass, and two glasses after I'd been to the toilet etc. etc.

... Which only causes me to have to pee every half an hour. Which is annoying as hell when you have diarrhea.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I've known too many people who ran their bodies into the ground with bad habits--habits they knew were bad!--
    Yes. I honestly do not think that most people think being horribly overweight, eating fast food, not exercising or smoking is somehow not going to hurt them. They just do it.

I mean, even if you eat grains, but keep a rein on the stuff you know is junk, you'll avoid a lot of problems. Most people know a diet should include lots of fruits and veggies, good proteins, unprocessed foods etc. Most people know they should exercise. But they choose not to.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Most people I know think that doctors are just around to fix people. It took some time, but I've learned that they're a resource and a tool, but not a bag of solutions. I can use a doctor to get testing I want done and they are certainly good for medical emergencies. But I learned on my own that I have to take my health into my own hands in order to manage it. It's only frustrating because I was lead to believe I would never have to spend so much time looking after my health.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    heh heh, namelesswonder said "tool"

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    heh heh, namelesswonder said "tool"
    I did consider re-wording that, but obviously decided to leave it
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Agreed, Laz. "Facts and science do not matter to a lot of people. Period, end of story. They are simply going to imagine whatever reality they desire is the truth".

We've helped to care for many of our older relatives on both sides of our family, all very intelligent and well educated. Overall they've done well and are reasonable until their 90's. Then they become no longer reasonable. Facts really don't matter. They believe what they believe. Generally they develop paranoid opinions in one or another area.

Then you have the problem of personal determination of control. We tend to follow a hands-off path. They're still sane (mostly)and can make their own decisions. Force is very disagreeable to us. But also, we're not doctors.

On the other hand I once had a very counter experience. I was in a 2-bed hospital room, with 1 empty bed. A young woman (35) was brought in in the mid-morning. She was not obese at all but definitely overweight. Soon a doctor came in and explained to her in detail the conditions and effects of her Lupus. And that her white platelets were ridiculously low; it certainly scared me. He told her another doctor would soon bring in equipment to do further testing. Then he left.

Shortly after that her husband and children came in. The children joined her in bed, all loving and cuddling, which she liked. They seemed a very reasonable and loving family. Until she said she was hungry and they all went to the cafeteria in search of food. After they left, 5 men, 2 doctors, pushing a huge apparatus came in and looked for her. I told them where she'd gone. They stood around for about 10 minutes. Then they left. They never came back. Later the family returned saying that nothing in the cafeteria looked any good, and the husband left for some KFC meals, which was about the worst thing he could do short of axing her. That afternoon another doctor came in and administered a variety of medicines. He told her they would try to get her white platelets up to some minimum number, then she could go home.

The following weeks I looked in the obituaries for notice of her death. I didn't see it, however she lived in a different town. Was the doctor's decision right?
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-26-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast