Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe I'm not as primal as I thought I was page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

Maybe I'm not as primal as I thought I was

Primal Fuel
    Here's what led to the revelation:

Last spring we had 2 hogs butchered that hubby raised (not at our house). I had the butcher save everything which included the heads split in half. So today I decided to make bone broth with one. I unwrapped it and started getting a little squeamish, it barely fit into my stock pot. I had to decide did I want the eyeball facing up or the teeth? I chose the teeth, the snout is pressing on the glass lid. I'm not sure I can go through with this. I put it to cook on my parabolic solar cooker figuring that it would cook down some before I had to bring it in for the night, at which time the bones may be soft enough to smash the snout down so it's not pressing against the lid.

I was a chef for years, I have no problem cutting up meat, but I never worked with an animal head, seeing the teeth and eye is disquieting.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Herbal Crunch seems to think that Primal is for sociopaths, so maybe you are right :/
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm with you as far as the "face" aspect goes. I figure if I mean what I say, I'll be able to stew a head when the opportunity arises. But it hasn't yet. And I have no idea what will happen when it does. I suspect I'll stew it, pour off the broth for use, and bury the beastly visage knowing I at least put it to use.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

If you were truly Primal, you'd turn the face into some kinda creepy ritual mask, and wear it seasonally, or to slaughter other pigs.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    UF, we all have our squeams.

Maybe you could spend some time at youtube watching old Andrew Zimmern episodes of Bizarre Foods. Maybe an afternoon of watching him eat bugs, goat eyeballs, testicles, and tripe will numb you to it. There's even one episode where he goes to a restaurant (maybe one of the Japan episodes?) that specializes in just penis dishes. LOL

Good luck (I've got my fingers crossed for you).

ETA: I think there's an Anthony Bourdain episode where he and a buddy have some kind of beast's head in a soup.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

You can always impale it upon a stake and leave it as an offering to the Beast

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    If you were truly Primal, you'd turn the face into some kinda creepy ritual mask, and wear it seasonally, or to slaughter other pigs.
    Yeah I could do that but then I wouldn't get any broth and besides the head is split in half so it wouldn't make a very good mask.

Maybe I should just bravely fish the head out of the pot and call the dogs into fight over it. But I think the bigger dog would get the whole thing. Perhaps I could enlist hubby (when he gets home) to chop it up with an axe and then call in the dogs to feast upon the carcass.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    You can always impale it upon a stake and leave it as an offering to the Beast
    I second this idea
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Zach is offline Banned
    Fucking barbaric.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Fucking barbaric.
    cooking the head or staking the head as a warning?

urban i don't blame you, i sat for a minute to imagine eyes looking up at me from the pot and i was ooged out
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast