Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I'm not as primal as I thought I was page 5

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CLLark View Post
    Modern humans read facial expressions which our ancestors did not do. I wouldn't be able to cook the face or head of another animal either. I accidentally squished a lizard with a door once and spent the rest of the day in tears, and I'm a six foot 249 lb former infantryman. You're fine. If your life depended on it (which in our modern society it doesn't, thankfully) you wouldn't have any problems eating a hogs face.
    Pretty sure that reading facial expressions is common to apes and dogs as well. How far back do you think we need to go before our ancestors didn't read facial expressions?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i think you're projecting
    There is a scientifcally predictable and observable physiological reaction to being laughed at
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I think that people are misunderstanding my argument anyway- I am not saying that because something has a face, normal creatures feel too bad to do it harm. I'm just saying that seeing faces, in normal human life, triggers emotional responses to things like uh...emotions. Which are communicated by faces.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    May I present to you all, the appetizer in tonight's snout to tail meal:

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    definitely at least as children; theeeen they were probably shamed bitterly by the laughter of women, and beaten ignomoniously like the animals, and didn't express it ever again
    I'll share my experience;

By 10 years old, I had probably witnessed some where between 5-10 pig slaughters, 2-4 steer (bovine) slaughters, countless chicken slaughters and others.

By 10 I had seen my dad shoot the animal dead, seen him stick a knife in the jugular artery (to bleed the animal), seen the animal writhing with its last death throws. Seen it strung up and gutted. Seen it carved up.
    At 10 I was already participating in the chicken slaughters. Holding the head while the axe chopped its neck. Plucking it. Degutting (I knew quite well all of its internal organs).

I never cried once for these animals, all tho I would say that I was a bit stunned at times watching an animal die.

I did cry tho, when our dog, house cow, and house pig died. I had grown attached to these animals. I think there was a certain dis attachment to the ones I knew where destined for the dinner table. Although I am NEVER cruel to animals in my whole life. All the ones that where destined for the table we/I had respect/love for, even at ten I understood the unintentional sacrifice this animal was going to make to nourish me and my family and the animal was held in high regard.

Sorry if I have grossed any body out.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    There is a scientifcally predictable and observable physiological reaction to being laughed at
    yeah, by men, who make a living of laughing at each other

and women, who laugh at each other

but your saying that women laughed at male children to emasculate them is you projecting

tell me, what is your cigar in this instance?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    May I present to you all, the appetizer in tonight's snout to tail meal:

someone should biore that nose real quick
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Just to let everyone know the jowls were separated from the head when the pig was butchered.

Dilberryhoundog thanks for sharing your experience. We only raise/slaughter our own meat occasionally (mostly chickens); we treat them as you described, respectfully but we aren't emotionally attached to them.

JoanieL um thanks for the visual aid.

Kochin & Perfidy my brain is too tired to comprehend your discussion, but do carry on.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I cried the first time I (aged around 10) helped Dad kill a goose, even though I'd been plucking and gutting them for years. (The gutting fell to me as the person with the smallest hands.) But it got easier, even though we hand-reared them from the egg.

And the answer to the OP's problem is to roast the pig's head.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Orielwen I still have 2 more half heads in the freezer so I may have to try that next time.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast