Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe I'm not as primal as I thought I was page 3

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Well that's what I was sayin.... it was my first time looking at teeth and an eye in a stock pot. I probably could get used to it if I were to do it a few more times, which I would only do if the broth came out exceptionally good or if society collapsed and that was the only thing I had to eat.

When Hubby came home he offered to hack off the offending bits (I have no idea what he did with them). Now the pot is on the stove and the skull is submerged in water so I can't see any OB so I'll just cook the heck out of it and then strain it and hopefully it won't taste nasty.
    Try making head-cheese or butchering a skull for cheeks and neck meat. Either of those will help you grow accustomed and are also amazingly tasty.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Try making head-cheese or butchering a skull for cheeks and neck meat. Either of those will help you grow accustomed and are also amazingly tasty.
    Hmmm, that's a thought. I've heard the cheek is the yummiest part. I just bought a half head of a pig a couple of weeks ago. Was saving the stock making til I needed something with hammy flavor. Should probably just cook it up and be done with it. I routinely put chicken feet in my stock and don't have much of a problem with fish heads and eyes staring at me when making fish stock. Might be more freaky with the half pig head though - here's to having a really tall stock pot!

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    If you read up about 'wild' children:
    -pre-teens in tribes frequently try and hunt on their own and participate in the butchering and cooking of animals
    -feral children always hunt or scavenge carcasses
    Rarely do they ever show signs of growing sad for the animal. The animal is food. Teenagers and young adults, being more philosophical, sometimes feel sorry that an animal's life is cut short and pay it tribute, but children see bodies as ordinary, death as necessary and hunting as as much a part of life and diet as gathering.

You forget: they eat eyeballs, brains and liver from the day they put solid food into their mouths. They see carcasses from the day they open their eyes. Being upset by death, meat and hunting is equal to being upset by uprooting tubers or eating berries. It is us who live in the unnatural environment, so protected from death and decay. A mere walk in the park will show you death all around you: foxes hunting and eating small animals, dead birds crawling with insect larvae, birds eating insects, small skeletons partially buried by decomposing plant matter. All of this is natural and normal. Yet it frightens and upsets us, because we lock ourselves away from it.
    I would believe you if I do not observe regularly that even animals know about eye-contact, and know that a face is the face, ie, the visible and tangible nucleus of sense-experience and interpretation.

I think that you are projecting.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

If you read up about 'wild' children:
    -pre-teens in tribes frequently try and hunt on their own and participate in the butchering and cooking of animals
    that just tells me that they are desperate for approval from their elders, and also afraid of the beatings and shaming that characterizes human social behavior

-feral children always hunt or scavenge carcasses
    obviously kids raised without other kids or adults have issues with the development of their empathy...
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Hmmm, that's a thought. I've heard the cheek is the yummiest part. I just bought a half head of a pig a couple of weeks ago. Was saving the stock making til I needed something with hammy flavor. Should probably just cook it up and be done with it. I routinely put chicken feet in my stock and don't have much of a problem with fish heads and eyes staring at me when making fish stock. Might be more freaky with the half pig head though - here's to having a really tall stock pot!
    Come to think about I've made stock from fish heads plenty of times and it never bothered me. For some reason I think it was the teeth that got to me. It doesn't much matter now as the rest of the skull is cooking away outside on my solar cooker. This morning I took the back and wings off a couple of game hens and threw them in the pot too.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    If you were truly Primal, you'd turn the face into some kinda creepy ritual mask, and wear it seasonally, or to slaughter other pigs.
    Totally.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

I would believe you if I do not observe regularly that even animals know about eye-contact, and know that a face is the face, ie, the visible and tangible nucleus of sense-experience and interpretation.

I think that you are projecting.
    And hunting animals frequently attack the face. Ravens, felines, hyenas, hell, even pandas and deer, which eat herbivorous diets, attack the face when they can. And the carni/omnivores eat it. Meat-eaters eat heads. You don't have to ignore that the face is an important part of expression to eat it.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I'd apologize, but...

that just tells me that they are desperate for approval from their elders, and also afraid of the beatings and shaming that characterizes human social behavior
    Or maybe they just don't think of animals the way we do. Maybe, the fact that animals are food overrides the cultural stigma of "but it's ALIVE!" we have developed in the West?

obviously kids raised without other kids or adults have issues with the development of their empathy...
    So... You first say that even wild animals can pick up on that the face is the centre of expression (implying trans-specie-empathy), but then say a human in a 'wild' state doesn't possess it as they haven't learned it?
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

See that's what I'm saying- "It's alive" is not a cultural thing- all of the systems of my body and all of my emotional development is dedicated to judging whether or not something is mobile, protecting its own interests, and capable of interacting with me.

So... You first say that even wild animals can pick up on that the face is the centre of expression (implying trans-specie-empathy), but then say a human in a 'wild' state doesn't possess it as they haven't learned it?
    correct- animals are also raised around other animals, and have a mother whose face is right up in their grill as they are developing eye-sight. They are nurtured as their genetics demand and thus realize whatever empathy or emotional attachments they are capable of. Nothing at all like a wild-raised human child.

I can't believe you are going to argue that feeling feelings when looking at faces is some kind of weird evidence of malformity. The opposite is true.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast