Thread: Shin Splints page

maurapprimal is offline Member

Shin Splints

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if "shin split" is the correct terminology, but since last Thursday, and growing in intensity, I've had rather sharp splitting pains down my shins. I'm pretty sure what caused it, which involved heel-striking in my Vibrams in an attempt to keep up with my new walking partner, but I'm not sure what to do to fix them. I've heard ice, but also heat. Massages with a tennis ball, cold water baths, etc.
    Today was supposed to be my sprint day, which I do on the stationary bike due to bad knees and too much weight still. Am I better off resting it for a while? If so, how long is appropriate? The weather is finally decent, and I got my exercise/diet back in line to start the weight coming off again. I hate to have to put it on hold

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Where's the pain exactly? The front of your tibias?

maurapprimal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Where's the pain exactly? The front of your tibias?
    Yes, right on the fronts, from right under my knee cap and 3/4 down. Both legs, unfortunately, though it was worse in my right the other day.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like shin splints to me. I'm surprised it happened if you are wearing Vibrams. Especially while walking. I hate to suggest vitamin I, but several days of 200mg every 6 hours would likely help in your case. As would getting stronger legs in the future.

*Not a doctor. Not a medical advice. Just a suggestion to look into an idea. If you listen to some anonymous dude on the internet about this stuff, very bad things will probably happen to you.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Shin splints seem to come from underdeveloped shin muscles trying to slow the impact of the foot to the ground, after the heel has touched the ground. Something about the eccentric movement just tears up those muscles.
    Some strategies:
    1. Rest Ice Compression Elevation (RICE)
    2. Strengthen your shin muscles. Lean against a wall and slowly raise your toes up and slowly down. Hold at the top for a bit too.
    3. Walk more on the middle of your foot rather than your heel.
    4. Walk slower.
    5. Shorten your stride.
    6. Run (mid-foot or forefoot strike)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Typically, a postural/gait issue, you're not moving your ankle through it's range of motion when walking. Basically, you are stomping around (or march-running or whatever).

So, stretch the front (point the toe, etc), and try to move through the WHOLE range of motion with your foot.