Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of “a broken metabolism”… page 2

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Wrong. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. It doesn't matter if you eat 1200 kCal of potatoes one day, 1200 kCal of steak the next, 1200 of orange juice the next, 1200 of buttercoffee the next. Routine has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    What if your routine is calories in calories out?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    What if your routine is calories in calories out?
    Then you will be really bored living in your metabolic chamber, but whatever floats your boat.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I agree many folks hastily self-diagnose this sort of thing. A true "slow metabolism" would also reduce appetite by the same margin so the real question is how appetite and expenditure become misaligned.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I just feel bad for us, womenfolk. Eating 800 cals a day, at age 50, and a height of 5'6", while on antibiotics for an infection and still working out 45 min a day. And still being overweight, while the 'coach' gloats over how eating more is not a good idea. Might as well sock him in the eye and go eat doughnuts.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Wrong. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. It doesn't matter if you eat 1200 kCal of potatoes one day, 1200 kCal of steak the next, 1200 of orange juice the next, 1200 of buttercoffee the next. Routine has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Did you even read my post?

It becomes impossible to accurately calculate CICO when you live a completely random, chaotic lifestyle. Your entire initial point was that it's difficult to accurately measure the 'CO' part of the equation. The only way to do it is to take in a large deficit, which isn't optimal. The best way to assure a deficit is to keep a stable TDEE, and you do that through ROUTINE.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I agree many folks hastily self-diagnose this sort of thing. A true "slow metabolism" would also reduce appetite by the same margin so the real question is how appetite and expenditure become misaligned.
    If a 5'6" woman eats 800 cals a day for more than 2 days in a row that means she has no appetite or she is locked up in a padded room and devours whatever given to her, then goes on her knees and begs for more and nobody cares. If that's what I am looking at in 12 years, shoot me now.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-25-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    So very yes. Whenever I talk about someone who's experiencing "broken metabolism," that's what I'm saying. Their appetite signaling doesn't match their energy needs. Due to what mechanism, nobody really knows (hint: food reward + inadequate micronutrition + other stuff). Just don't say "insulin" though or the internets will explode.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Did you even read my post?

It becomes impossible to accurately calculate CICO when you live a completely random, chaotic lifestyle. Your entire initial point was that it's difficult to accurately measure the 'CO' part of the equation. The only way to do it is to take in a large deficit, which isn't optimal. The best way to assure a deficit is to keep a stable TDEE, and you do that through ROUTINE.
    I was messing with you, bro. I don't personally believe that 1200 kCal of OJ will result in the same metabolic effects as 1200 kCal of steak. You've made similar claims many times. But I was going for teh funniez.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    So very yes. Whenever I talk about someone who's experiencing "broken metabolism," that's what I'm saying. Their appetite signaling doesn't match their energy needs. Due to what mechanism, nobody really knows (hint: food reward + inadequate micronutrition + other stuff). Just don't say "insulin" though or the internets will explode.
    Cortisol. Drives appetite, breaks down muscle, stores fat. Also causes bleeding gums
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    "Broken metabolism" sounds like a crock, but I could buy "hormonal imbalances".
    Yes. If you have to go severely low on calories and it is painstaking to do so, that to me says you're managing symptoms of a greater underlying problem that needs to be corrected. Much like using a hack like VLC. If you have hormonal imbalance or thyroid or any other metabolic function that's not optimal, you should focus on fixing this. Building muscle helps your overall metabolic rate, but hormonal balance is more important and seems to affect women at a greater rate than men.

It seems defeatist to me to just concede to having to abide by a low caloric intake just to get certain results. I think weight loss should be a side effect of a healthy and energetic body. if you feel your metabolism is not up to par, concentrate on getting it to where you feel it should be.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast