Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Health insurance discounts for normal BMI page 2

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I was obese and I don't have a problem with insurers discriminating against obesity. Obese people ARE more prone to having knee problems, back problems, asthma, heart problems, blocked arteries, and just early death period. A major wound or surgery is higher risk for people that are obese. Sorry, but obese people do present a higher risk to insurers. That's a simple fact. Now I know the OP said "BMI" and I agree BMI isn't the best measure but most people with a high BMI are genuinely fat, not body builders. I think there should be a secondary method- such as a full blown body fat test by being dunked in the pool- that people could demand to challenge BMI if they really are body builder types.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    It's totally idiotic, from a scientific perspective and prejudiced. I was at a conference of female health care professionals the other day and when the topic turned to punishing the obese these women in business suits (who had been doing nothing but bitching about how hard it was to control their weight before the speech, BTW) started wolf whistling and hollering like they were at a wrestling meet.

One third of kids have metabolic syndrome by the time they are 15. Diabetes is actually going up FASTER than obesity, suggesting there are a lot of environmental things going on like the insane amount of Round Up we all ingest every day. Treatment of adult obesity has a 99% failure rate at the five year mark. Weight loss after age 30 has almost zero effect on health outcomes and after age 40 about zero. Even the American Heart Association says that the number one thing that can be done to reduce heart disease is treat CHILDHOOD obesity.
    ... I was obese all through my childhood and I've only discovered primal/paleo at 35... you make it sound like I'm completely screwed. XD

stoney56 is offline Member
    I am 37 years old, and have a 27.5 BMI. Do I get penalized? I am running at 12-14% body fat, you can see my top two abs, and I just ran a 23:03 minute 5k.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I love how everyone's shouting 'prejudice'. Yes, there are exceptions and yes, BMI is a crappy measure of health. But your typical high-BMI person in today's world ISN'T carrying excess muscle tissue. Your typical high-BMI person in today's world is at greater risk of all sorts of illnesses. A company that wants to run efficiently needs a workforce that's very unlikely to collapse and go to hospital/die, that'll be in a fit state to work until retirement age and that'll take the least sick-days.

Of course, they could have gone about it a better way (body-fat%, fitness test, general-health-check-based), but the 'prejudice' isn't the issue. They have went with what is the generally accepted first-step measure of health. They could have chosen something more accurate, but it's not only their right to 'discriminate' against people who are larger, but their duty as a company which wants to be competitive.
    Are you in Horsham, PA or the UK? If the UK, don't you get the NHS? Just for breathing? Excuse those of us who have watched our old 80/20 coverage (which was free to affordable) go to HMOs which were supposed to save us money, but did nothing but bend us over and screw us without benefit of a good dinner first. We're due our bitching. The state of healthcare in this country is a travesty. When people can lose their homes and life savings by getting ill, something is wrong.

And then to add prejudice? Crap on top of crap.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

And my bp is good, but my cholesterol is good but total is 210. That would be bad by CW too. I hate this initative.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If they are going to charge more based on bmi they out to at least do it scientifically. Overweight have better overall mortality numbers than normal weight. What about underweight.
    They have actuaries that run these stats. If it was more expensive to provide care, on average, for a thin person, rates would reflect that. That's the way it should work...insurance is a business. And a risky one at that. LOL, my husband got $150,000 in care for like, $1500 plus another $4200 in premiums. Now he pays higher premiums as he is at risk for another occurance which makes sense. It costs a shit ton of money to keep unhealthy people alive, our system of insurance, at this time is for profit. It's reasonable that the unhealthy pay their share otherwise the healthy drop out of the system if you overly equalize rates to subsidize the people more likely to be unhealthy.

It's no more prejudice than charging a guy with 10 speeding tickets and a Hemi more than the lady with no tickets and a compact car for car insurance.

I am 37 years old, and have a 27.5 BMI. Do I get penalized? I am running at 12-14% body fat, you can see my top two abs, and I just ran a 23:03 minute 5k.
    No, you aren't obese.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

But I am "overweight". You could make the legal case that even though you are athletic, low body fat person, the insurance company has "data" that people with your BMI category still incur higher insurance costs. So tough cookies fatty.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Are you in Horsham, PA or the UK? If the UK, don't you get the NHS? Just for breathing? Excuse those of us who have watched our old 80/20 coverage (which was free to affordable) go to HMOs which were supposed to save us money, but did nothing but bend us over and screw us without benefit of a good dinner first. We're due our bitching. The state of healthcare in this country is a travesty. When people can lose their homes and life savings by getting ill, something is wrong.

Well said my dear!

Magnolia, I hope you know I adore you but please don't compare health insurance to car insurance they are 2 very different things.

When one's child is ill one shouldn't have to decide what care to give based on the cost, and in most cases there is no way of knowing how much that will be. Trust me I've been through this and you can not imagine the stress. 2 years ago DS had a respiratory infection, we took him to see his pulmonologist (3 hrs away) the doc said he'd like to admit him because his lung function was down. Our pain in the a$$ insurance only covered 50% and the secondary insurance provided by the state dropped us due to some bureaucratic glitch. So the doctor sends us home with more antibiotics and instructions which we follow very carefully. Meanwhile we are trying to figure out what to do about coverage. We come back 1 week later and the doc says regardless of insurance I can't let you go, he needs to be admitted immediately. Of course i wanted to do what was best for my son but in the back of my mind I was worrying that a hospital stay could bankrupt us. Long story short the state finally kicked in but in the meantime while we were in the hospital (we were there for 3 weeks) trying to take care of DS we were also stressing out about the cost!

On one of my outings from the hospital I ran into young couple visiting from Sweden, we got to talking about health care, they could not believe that my husband and I pay generous premiums and deductibles and could still have to pay more. When I told them that the hospital charged for parking they were beyond flabbergasted! Anything for a buck!
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 09-25-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Magnolia, I hope you know I adore you but please don't compare health insurance to car insurance they are 2 very different things.
    I don't believe access to health care is a right. I have sympathy for people who have huge expenses, but if it were not a profitable business, your treatment would not be available.

When my husband had a brain tumor, because we have a profitable system, he was treated immediately and in surgery with a top notch surgeon within 24 hours. We did have some extra expenses, but wow, the system works. Was it a bit of trouble to get everything approved, making sure MD's were in network, yup.

I'm not sure why I should subsidize care for other people or expect other people to subsidize my care. You do realize that if the "government" pays for care, that the government=taxpayers.

The heart of the problem is we can now do some amazing things to keep people alive, and simply can't afford to provide that for all citizens.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Just because I don't live there doesn't mean I can't know about how it works. And it's the company's prerogative as a business to encourage people to be 'healthy'. They may have got 'healthy' wrong, but the principle is good. If someone is healthy, then they're more likely to be an efficient worker for your company. If they are unhealthy, then they are more likely to cause a problem down the line.
    Any plan that encourages unhealthy people to become healthy and healthy people to work for them is simply good business sense.

Take the example someone else used earlier of AAs and high blood pressure. Yes, they have naturally higher blood pressure than other ethnicities. But they're also more likely to have (and die of) heart complications which often kill them young. The ethnicity isn't the issue. If you were to use a similar company policy based on a healthy blood-pressure range, it wouldn't be discrimination, it would be good business sense again. They aren't actively targeting the AA community any more than nature is by making them more heart-disease prone. They're just taking actions which benefit the company.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast