Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lifting standards page 7

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Wait, are you saying CrossFit invented power snatches?

I don't think anyone coaches jumping off the ground by hip flexion. The idea is jumping to achieve full, triple extension (extension of the hips, knees, and ankles), not some weird form of a tuck jump with a barbell. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

I'm not much of a snatcher, but if I don't jump and stomp on my power cleans, I end up with incomplete extension, an ugly arm pull and sometimes miss the rack completely due to inadequate upward momentum of the bar.
    No but here is another example of how crossfit has taken an accessory movement use to strengthen a "full" snatch and adapted it meet their own needs and by doing so has completely butchered the original purpose of the accessory movement being practiced. Sorry for the long sentence.

I've never seen your clean and although I know a little I am in no way qualified to make you the next good medal Olympian so to break down what might be happening in your lift currently is next to impossible. You could just need a little more cowbell though.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    No but here is another example of how crossfit has taken an accessory movement use to strengthen a "full" snatch and adapted it meet their own needs and by doing so has completely butchered the original purpose of the accessory movement being practiced. Sorry for the long sentence.
    I think the power snatch is more useful for people who compete in other sports than Weightlifting to train explosive power. Better in some ways than the full snatch.

I've never seen your clean and although I know a little I am in no way qualified to make you the next good medal Olympian so to break down what might be happening in your lift currently is next to impossible. You could just need a little more cowbell though.
    More cowbell for sure. I do the power clean (as closely as I can) the way Rip teaches it. He's got a pretty solid biomechanical analysis in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd ed. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you can get your hands on a copy.

I think the power snatch is more useful for people who compete in other sports than Weightlifting to train explosive power. Better in some ways than the full snatch.

Depends on the issue I say but yes very good for explosive power. So are hanging cleans. Other great movements for practicing hip activation are hip bridges, pull throughs, glute ham raise, heavy kettle swings the list goes on and on.

More cowbell for sure. I do the power clean (as closely as I can) the way Rip teaches it. He's got a pretty solid biomechanical analysis in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd ed. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you can get your hands on a copy.
    I was looking at kindle last night and saw it. I might just have to pick it up!

I was looking at kindle last night and saw it. I might just have to pick it up!
    I'll money-back-guarantee the Kindle version for you. If you buy it and think it sucks, I'll mail you a check for the $10.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    384 lbs deadlift @ 114 lbs bodyweight = 172 Wilk's score = advanced lifter
    610 lbs deadlift @ 319 lbs bodyweight = 154 Wilk's score = elite lifter

Something doesn't add up. The "elite" heavyweight lifter would have to lift 680ish pounds to beat the "advanced" lightweight lifter in a deadlift competition.

And now back to your very interesting discussion about power cleans and how powerlifting coach Mark Rippetoe teaches it...

I'll money-back-guarantee the Kindle version for you. If you buy it and think it sucks, I'll mail you a check for the $10.
    Thanks don't worry about the 10 bucks I'm sure it'll be good for fire starter if nothing else lol. J/K

I added another paragraph into your comment Rich but it came out shaded for some reason. It's in between the two paragraphs you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    384 lbs deadlift @ 114 lbs bodyweight = 172 Wilk's score = advanced lifter
    610 lbs deadlift @ 319 lbs bodyweight = 154 Wilk's score = elite lifter

Something doesn't add up. The "elite" heavyweight lifter would have to lift 680ish pounds to beat the "advanced" lightweight lifter in a deadlift competition.

And now back to your very interesting discussion about power cleans and how powerlifting coach Mark Rippetoe teaches it...
    Powerlifting Coach Mark Rippetoe's Weightlifting Coaching Credentials:
    Quote Originally Posted by startingstrength.com
    Rip obtained his USWF Level III certification in 1988 at the USOC’s Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs with Mike Stone, Harvey Newton, and Angel Spassov on faculty. His USAW Senior Coach certification was achieved in 1999 at the OTC with Lyn Jones, John Thrush, and Mike Conroy. He was invited, as an Olympic weightlifting coach, to the Olympic Solidarity course at the OTC in 2000. He taught both the USAW Club Coach course and the Sports Performance Coach course with Dr. Kilgore from 1999 through 2005. Rip served as the president of the North Texas Local Weightlifting Committee of USAW from 2004-2011. He coached and participated in the coaching of James Moser, Glenn Pendlay, Dr. Kilgore, Josh Wells (Junior World Team 2004) most of the national and international-level athletes on the Wichita Falls Weightlifting team, which was hosted and coached at WFAC from 1999 through 2006, as well as the collegiate weightlifting team from Midwestern State University through 2010. Rip still actively coaches the sport on a daily basis at WFAC, and the power clean and power snatch at our seminars around the country every month.
    but you probably know better...

I added another paragraph into your comment Rich but it came out shaded for some reason. It's in between the two paragraphs you wrote.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I was talking about explosive power for a CNS standpoint more than necessarily the hips, although a heavy power clean or snatch will definitely carry over and help the deadlift go up. Out of your list, only the kettlebell swing is really explosive, and only if you do it explosively, don't you agree?

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    I thought triple extension was a really debatable technique. Some lifters may perform better executing the snatch one way, some will the other way. Body composition plays an important role ofcourse. The sport of weightlifting seems to have changed a lot the past couple decades.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast