Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting standards page 6

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Can't get the video to play (probably because I'm at work), so can't comment on the snatch, but here are some tips for the kipping PU:

Keep your core engaged throughout, it's this that really gives you the spring at the bottom of the movement. When people get tired, they tend to lose this core tension and spring, so their kips fail

Push away from the bar at the top of the movement i.e. don't drop straight down. Again this tends to stop happening as you get tired and you lose the kip.

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your input! I'll try it today in the gym!

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Also, search for Chris Spealler efficiency tips. You'll come up with a bunch of videos which are quite handy. Spealler is renowned for some crazy bodyweight stuff e.g. 106 unbroken pull-ups.

The videos really helped me with my handstand push-ups and muscle ups, so hopefully will be useful to you too.

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    Chris Spealler is great. Never watched his instructional vids though, going to!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Nice lift! There are a few things that I would comment on. That being said I'm not an Oly instructor and I have not taken any full length seminars on the lifts but here's what I can tell you from my limited knowledge.

1. Stop jumping. That is a huge amount of energy that you're wasting by jumping in the 2nd pull. You should be pulling yourself under the bar. So as you explode through the hips on your second pull you should feel like you're squishing your feet into the ground and dropping under the bar.

2. Get the bar closer to your shins. When you address the bar your back should be flat, shins touching the bar in a vertical position and shoulders back. This leads into my third point.

3. Get your butt down lower. This will allow for a more vertical tibial angle and more glute/hip activation vs quad/lower back. Because the bar is so far from your shins your body weight is a little far forward in your feet so try getting your weight back a little further into your heal. This will also help with the initial pull foe the floor and with glute/hip activation.

4. Keep going! And I'm glad you're using ubersense it's a great app I use it all the time to show my clients how they move. It can really help.

I was really focused on your first lift so have a look at your movement during the first pull, where your shins are and you'll see what I mean.

Once you get more comfortable with these 3 things we can start talking about your lock out and thoracic mobility.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I can't watch the video because I'm at work, but how can you perform a clean or snatch without jumping during the second pull? Are you saying not to jump at all, or am I misunderstanding your advice?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I can't watch the video because I'm at work, but how can you perform a clean or snatch without jumping during the second pull? Are you saying not to jump at all, or am I misunderstanding your advice?
    Yes. No jump at all. Your feet shouldn't leave the ground. It's energy leakage. The key to any lift is efficiency. That energy kinetic created that is lifting you off the ground should be staying in the circuit between bar and body and earth not into lifting you off the ground. By the time you're in the air you should already have been pulling yourself down to the floor under the bar and transferring that kinetic energy back through the chain into your lower body for the catch.

Are we talking a power snatch or full snatch? I know there's some debate as to whether the feet should leave the floor in the power version, but I'm pretty sure everybody coaches a jump to achieve triple extension in the full version of the snatch. No?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Are we talking a power snatch or full snatch? I know there's some debate as to whether the feet should leave the floor in the power version, but I'm pretty sure everybody coaches a jump to achieve triple extension in the full version of the snatch. No?
    Here's where I start to have my little issues with crossfit. To me a snatch is a snatch a snatch. Personally and from how I've been taught, I follow the keep the feet on the floor school.

Yes there are two schools of thought on this but it just seems to make more sense to me to keep contact with the floor at all times. Should you go up on your toes? Sure because you're still connected increasing elasticity and completing extension but to get that snap drop back into the catch phase the activation in the upper/middle back has to be as high as possible. If you're pulling through your hip flexors to raise your feet off the ground your leaking energy by not using it in the pull under the bar. Essentially you're pulling yourself into a ball in the middle thus loosing a large percentage of elastic energy.

What happens when you let go of a rubber band on both ends? Now what happens if you always pull for one end or the other?

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Here's where I start to have my little issues with crossfit. To me a snatch is a snatch a snatch. Personally and from how I've been taught, I follow the keep the feet on the floor school.

Yes there are two schools of thought on this but it just seems to make more sense to me to keep contact with the floor at all times. Should you go up on your toes? Sure because you're still connected increasing elasticity and completing extension but to get that snap drop back into the catch phase the activation in the upper/middle back has to be as high as possible. If you're pulling through your hip flexors to raise your feet off the ground your leaking energy by not using it in the pull under the bar. Essentially you're pulling yourself into a ball in the middle thus loosing a large percentage of elastic energy.

What happens when you let go of a rubber band on both ends? Now what happens if you always pull for one end or the other?
    Wait, are you saying CrossFit invented power snatches?

I don't think anyone coaches jumping off the ground by hip flexion. The idea is jumping to achieve full, triple extension (extension of the hips, knees, and ankles), not some weird form of a tuck jump with a barbell. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

I'm not much of a snatcher, but if I don't jump and stomp on my power cleans, I end up with incomplete extension, an ugly arm pull and sometimes miss the rack completely due to inadequate upward momentum of the bar.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast