Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting standards page 5

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bench is just a bitch of a lift for some of us.
    I did 7x140kg in deadlift the other day, and my 1RM is 167.5kg, but bench my 1RM is 84kg. I saw a guy who is nowhere near my deadlifts do way more than me in bench today. It's kinda sad.

My bench is continually improving, just at a much lower rate. My military press is also low. So for some reason my upper body is just way behind my lower body lifts.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Bench is just a bitch of a lift for some of us.
    I did 7x140kg in deadlift the other day, and my 1RM is 167.5kg, but bench my 1RM is 84kg. I saw a guy who is nowhere near my deadlifts do way more than me in bench today. It's kinda sad.

My bench is continually improving, just at a much lower rate. My military press is also low. So for some reason my upper body is just way behind my lower body lifts.
    That's really not an abnormal deadlift:bench ratio. The other guy was just a bench-bro. Ladies have a much harder time with the upper body lifts, because they carry significantly less of their muscle mass up there.

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    I actually never even train bench. In crossfit we don't do it often and it doesn't help me in weightlifting either. Just pr'd it once to know where I stand in those lifting standards.

monkspeed is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Tosca, how do you train your bench?

My bench is lagging so badly and not a lot is helping. I'm mainly interested in other females advice since I feel that maybe there's something happening that's sex-related.
    I don't think it's sex orientated cos my bench sucks as well! What I did was forget about bench and concentrate on incline dumbbell bench and weighted dips and that seems to have helped my bench, and also my OHP has increased as well. Plus bench did not add much mass to my chest (for me) but incline is adding it slowly. I have my incline slightly less than 45 degrees to enable my chest more and shoulders less....

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Only way to know is to try something for a month or so, if it don't work then ditch it and try something else.

Military press is awful. It just is. You don't see progress as soon as with other lifts, at least I don't.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    With the military, I'm finding that using a slightly lower weight for more reps works pretty well. I'll often add some singles after my heaviest multiple-rep lift. It's fascinating how little weight alters when I can do it for multiple reps, and when I simply can't get the weight up once.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm too embarrassed to post my old lady numbers here. You rock, little lady.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    With the military, I'm finding that using a slightly lower weight for more reps works pretty well. I'll often add some singles after my heaviest multiple-rep lift. It's fascinating how little weight alters when I can do it for multiple reps, and when I simply can't get the weight up once.
    If I try to do 6reps, the first set I can do 4 straight presses and the rest is push press with as little leg effort as possible to still get the weight up. The second, third and forth set, the straight to push press ratio slowly moves to 1:5 (:
    Last edited by toscamulder; 09-29-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm too embarrassed to post my old lady numbers here. You rock, little lady.
    My thanks are many. You still beat the shit out of my mom's numbers, she thinks lifting isn't for her. Weird woman.

I recorded a lift yesterday, any experts here able to give me some tips/teach me what to improve on? I learned the movement from the interwebz so I have to be sure not to learn something completely wrong (:
    Thanks !
    Barbell Snatch with Unknown using Ubersense

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast