Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shocking Statement From Paleo Colleague-Deciding to continue primal journey page

HerbalCrunch2013 is offline Junior Member

Shocking Statement From Paleo Colleague-Deciding to continue primal journey

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

New poster here to MDA.

I've been living primal for over 4 years and decided to hop on the internet to share a rather shocking conversation I had with a paleo colleague of mine which is making me re consider my role in this lifestyle. The reason I wanted to reach out is to get others take and see if this inappropriate and rather dark behavior is a trend among the grater primal community.

And without future a due....

While I was holding a conversation with a primal partner of mine, we were discussing certain high protein foods and ways to prepare them. When speaking, the conversation changed from very light and productive to extremely rude with one single comment from my partner...

That comment being..... "beans are proteins for the third world"

In so many words I was very shocked. As it took a second to digest the sheer evil that was coming out of their mouth, I thought about all the starving people out there and furthermore dying for the lack of food- let alone beans...

Long story short this sickened me to the point of dropping off this lifestyle. I told myself that I did not want to be associated with people who speak with such.... evil. It's making me mad as I am typing this out.

So with that said, I wanted to reach out to the greater community to share this short story as well as get feedback into your thoughts.

Can you relate to this person? Have you had similar experiences? Is there hope for an continuing primal lifestyle?

I am sorry to be frank but this is a statement fit for a douchebag.

What are your thoughts?

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Its been noted that people who go mainly protein have a change in their behaviour, I noticed this on many many forums, they become cold and a bit bitchy..
    Peggy from primal parenting wrote an article about it, she said that her BF at the time and his family found it really difficult to deal with her when she was on ZC (mainly meat) as she became quite un-emotional, never showed emotion she’d have straight forward to the point replies to people, and found it difficult to empathise or coddle other female friends when … to resolve this she had to add some carbs in her diet.

I have also discussed this with another lady who was well known as being the ice queen, she agreed that high protein diet made her a lot more emotionally stable, very calm and never felt like a breakdown. Also from my own personal experience, this happened to me too, I started to behave a bit like a man in emotional situations lol, its not like I didn’t feel, I just didn’t react in the usual emotional way I’d do when am on carbs !!
    Last edited by Hotmail; 09-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    good thing for him then that america is a 3rd world country
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    My thoughts are you shock easily.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I can't say I understand your objection to the statement at all.

Beans are cheap, inferior protein sources.

People in third world countries don't tend to have a lot of money, or open land of their own on which to graze cattle. Or money. Or supermarkets. Or money. So beans may be the best a lot of them can do. It's sad, but it's not offensive.

Am I missing something here? I must be missing something here.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Beans are a perfectly good food. Meat is the food for the affluent, has always been and always will be. I am not sure why this causes you to reconsider taking care of yourself; you eating processed food will not alleviate suffering in Africa or Asia.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    First and foremost I don't think you should apply the sentiments of one person to a group just based on eating habits. Not when there are so many other variables like upbringing and personality. I see jerks on both sides of the protein bandwagon. I mean, look at durian rider. He's probably the most vicious and just not nice person to be around and he eats mostly fruit if I remember right. But there's nothing wrong with fruit just because he eats it.

As far as beans, they may be an inferior protein source and have some issues, I am avoiding them currently due to gut healing, but I don't believe that makes them an inferior food. If they are taking the place of truly inferior foods or meat is simply too expensive, they are a perfectly good food source. Historically, America ate a lot more beans than we do now along with a bit less meat and a ton less grains, and we were pretty healthy. This is why I disagree with the all or nothing mindset of whole9, but again, that doesn't make it a bad program. I just feel like any diet built around restriction is prone to building almost a cult of superiority to those who are susceptible to it.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I can't say I understand your objection to the statement at all.

Beans are cheap, inferior protein sources.

People in third world countries don't tend to have a lot of money, or open land of their own on which to graze cattle. Or money. Or supermarkets. Or money. So beans may be the best a lot of them can do. It's sad, but it's not offensive.

Am I missing something here? I must be missing something here.
    No Rich, I think you got it. I was thinking the same.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Wait, are you upset that he insulted the beans?

I still don't get it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If one person's snarky comment can change your entire belief system, it was a fad for you.

Beans are cheap. Third World peoples are poor. Beans are protein for the poor. Because if I have two nickels to rub together, I'm not wasting them on beans if I can buy meat.

Now if the person had said something like, "poor people are inferior; beans are inferior; therefore poor people deserve beans as their primary source of protein," that would have been different.

What do we serve on holidays? Large birds. Not large beans. Where to we take a good friend on her birthday? A nice steak house or seafood restaurant. Not the 99c bean burrito truck.

If that makes me evil, so be it. If I called the $1000 ice cream sundae served at Serendipity in NYC a "dessert for the rich," would that make me evil? Or just realistic enough to know that the average person isn't going to indulge in that very often, if at all?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast