Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Procrastination and Chocolate page 2

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I think you should stop trying to lose weight. You don't say how tall you are, but a size 12–14 is a perfectly healthy size. You may have been a 10 at one point, but as I said you're still filling out to your adult shape. Don't compare yourself to your friends. You're not them. (And for most people a 6 is underweight, unless you're particularly short.)

Apologies to U.S. folks, who use a different scale.

MJvanR is offline Junior Member
    Hi ebrady
    I think you are a sweet eloquent girl but you're thinking way too much about what you're eating, snack on some of the really tasty stuff like good quality chorizo and certainly don't do any elimination dieting like dairy free... Never go hungry, eat big portions and get plenty of sleep... Stop thinking about food and enjoy being such a bright and educated teenager! Carrots and dollops of hummus are also good... Make sure your food tastes of something and is really satisfying!

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrady98 View Post
    I'm trying to lose weight, and have been told that low-carb is the best. I could afford carbs?
    I agree with FrenchFry here: carbs should not be avoided, particularly at your age. Just concentrate on eating whole foods - be it eggs, steak, potatoes, fruit, chocolate or whatever - and remaining active, and things should work out great.

Carb and/or caloric restrictions can cause a lot of problems down the line. You need to think about what's more important: short term aesthetics, or feeling good, longterm health and fitness.

6 miles cycling (leisurely pace - to the gym and back)
    3x10 37kg Bench Press
    3x10 30kg Squat (yeah yeah, my bench is bigger than my squat.)
    3x10 8kg dumbbell reps
    3x10 35kg Back and shoulder press.
    Cannot deny that made me laugh aloud - I have the same problem, had to deload so many times due to poor form :P Your lifting stats are quite impressive, though, for someone who is I assume a beginner and obviously female... I know several guys at my gym bench/pressing less than that - and not squatting at all, of course.

I need a good pre-gym meal - I've just been having berries and yoghurt in the past, then my breakfast for afterwards. Anyone got any good suggestions? Also, has anyone got good recipes for lunch and dinner?
    Pre meal, hmm?

Well, mostly I just go for Butter and coconut oil in my coffee, or just plain coffee, or just nothing. Tomorrow I'm gonna try a protein coffee, see how that works.
    Berries and yoghurt seem good, and if they work, by all means keep at 'em. YMMV. Maybe a banana? Some eggs? Maybe try to invest in protein powder?-Surely your parents can't think that's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    Honestly, I think you should stop trying to lose weight. You don't say how tall you are, but a size 1214 is a perfectly healthy size. You may have been a 10 at one point, but as I said you're still filling out to your adult shape. Don't compare yourself to your friends. You're not them. (And for most people a 6 is underweight, unless you're particularly short.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJvanR View Post
    Hi ebrady
    I think you are a sweet eloquent girl but you're thinking way too much about what you're eating, snack on some of the really tasty stuff like good quality chorizo and certainly don't do any elimination dieting like dairy free... Never go hungry, eat big portions and get plenty of sleep... Stop thinking about food and enjoy being such a bright and educated teenager! Carrots and dollops of hummus are also good... Make sure your food tastes of something and is really satisfying!
    Bolded the most important.

Seriously, just enjoy life. Eat good food, do awesome things. Be awesome.
    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    Honestly, I think you should stop trying to lose weight. You don't say how tall you are, but a size 1214 is a perfectly healthy size. You may have been a 10 at one point, but as I said you're still filling out to your adult shape. Don't compare yourself to your friends. You're not them. (And for most people a 6 is underweight, unless you're particularly short.)

Apologies to U.S. folks, who use a different scale.
    I'm around 5'4" - 5'5". Not sure whether i'm gonna grow much taller.

Maybe I shouldn't regard sizes with such disdain - they're only sizes, after all - but I honestly am overfat. Particularly on my legs and stomach. I'm not too sure about how much bellyfat is acceptable (in the sense that I'm in the middle of puberty and my body is preparing itself for adulthood) but I think I overpass the mark...I am trying to be a little easier on myself, but it's difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by MJvanR View Post
    Hi ebrady
    Thank you very much :3 I'll try and come to some sort of agreement with my parents about my meals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight137 View Post
    I agree with FrenchFry here: carbs should not be avoided, particularly at your age. Just concentrate on eating whole foods - be it eggs, steak, potatoes, fruit, chocolate or whatever - and remaining active, and things should work out great.

Carb and/or caloric restrictions can cause a lot of problems down the line. You need to think about what's more important: short term aesthetics, or feeling good, longterm health and fitness.
    (Ack, I would've added this to the other post but hurrrrr editing skills)

I just keep reading about these people (women, in particular) who've had all these problems and for whom paleo hasn't worked as they expected...granted, these people are a lot older than me and have mostly had children, but I can relate when I see how difficult fat-loss is! Much harder than I expected it to be, taking into consideration my age.

Cannot deny that made me laugh aloud - I have the same problem, had to deload so many times due to poor form :P Your lifting stats are quite impressive, though, for someone who is I assume a beginner and obviously female... I know several guys at my gym bench/pressing less than that - and not squatting at all, of course.
    Haha, someone tweeted a while ago "if your bench is bigger than your squat then you need to sort yourself out" :P I remembered that and had to put it in.

Thanks! I have a build that enables weightlifting, actually: generally broad all over; big shoulders and hips, big legs. I guess I have potential in the weightlifting world - who knows? :P

Pre meal, hmm?

Well, mostly I just go for Butter and coconut oil in my coffee, or just plain coffee, or just nothing. Tomorrow I'm gonna try a protein coffee, see how that works.
    Berries and yoghurt seem good, and if they work, by all means keep at 'em. YMMV. Maybe a banana? Some eggs? Maybe try to invest in protein powder?-Surely your parents can't think that's bad.
    I may keep the berries and yoghurt, and maybe add a few nuts. I have a bloody banana allergy, so they're out :P eggs are normally post meal. I'm only allowed three per day.

I think the main problem with protein powder is that it's expensive. I could ask, but my parents already spend enough on food, considering my steak addiction and my Dad's chicken breast fetish.

Bolded the most important.

Seriously, just enjoy life. Eat good food, do awesome things. Be awesome.
    Thanks sometimes I guess we just need perspective...and better communication skills, in my case. :P

Adrian is offline Senior Member
    If it goes about pre-workout meals I don't like stuffing too much: maybe an apple or mango for energy and some proteins: cottage cheese or some dairy?
    Nice journal, good pics
    Keep it going on!
    Good luck & best wishes
    Hardgainer trying to gain - my primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91644.html

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    (Ack, I would've added this to the other post but hurrrrr editing skills)

I just keep reading about these people (women, in particular) who've had all these problems and for whom paleo hasn't worked as they expected...granted, these people are a lot older than me and have mostly had children, but I can relate when I see how difficult fat-loss is! Much harder than I expected it to be, taking into consideration my age.
    Mm, yea, I'm glad you get it. Most people on these forums are well past their twenties. They're done growingh, maybe now in the process of shrinking :P

It's like others said: this is probably your body getting ready to grow. Last thing you wanna do is mess with that. Seriously. Take it from me, a guy who unintentionally starved himself between ages 17-18. Result? 5'5 for life. :/

I may keep the berries and yoghurt, and maybe add a few nuts. I have a bloody banana allergy, so they're out :P eggs are normally post meal. I'm only allowed three per day.
    Banana allergy! Oh, that's a shame. Bananas are amazing.

I do like what Adrian said:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    If it goes about pre-workout meals I don't like stuffing too much: maybe an apple or mango for energy and some proteins: cottage cheese or some dairy?
    s
    Because cottage cheese is great ESPECIALLY with berries. No kidding here, Blender + frozen berries + cottage cheese equals amazing ice cream like substance. It also goes great with mixins, like berries, nuts, dark chocolate, etc.
    You could maybe try out savory and have some potatoes. Again, with cottage cheese,.. hnnng.

I think the main problem with protein powder is that it's expensive. I could ask, but my parents already spend enough on food, considering my steak addiction and my Dad's chicken breast fetish.
    Lol. I, personally, found I saved money buying protein powder. That's why I bought it - I'm running off a student's budget :P It's useful since 1 scoop = roughly 25g protein, so it more protein than 100g chicken.

So, in perspective, is a kilo (1000g) of chicken breast is 230.9g of protein for... however much that is. Whereas with protein powder in roughly ten scoops of 31g (mine, anyway) you get 250g protein; so more protein in 310 grams than a kilo of chicken.

Basically, depends on budget and nearby prices. In short term, the animal protein is cheaper, but in the long term, the powder coulkd be cheaper. Don't get me wrong - I prefer animal protein any day, the reason I use the powder is to hit my protein macros on a budget because it's fairly inexpensive, and thus allows me to spend more money on foods I enjoy, like salmon rather than tuna and steak rather than chicken.
    That and it makes nice rice pudding.

Thanks sometimes I guess we just need perspective...and better communication skills, in my case. :P
    Nah, like I said: you're awesome. :P Now keep being awesome.
    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

29/9/13

God, my mother pisses me off so much.

How can someone who loves and cares for you so much make you feel so shit? she'd do anything for me: she'd give me loads of money for new clothes that I don't even want; she'd drive me to a concert, or to a race; if I wanted something she'd get it for me. Yet she can't even bring herself to look at any of the information I've gave her. She always says she will, but she doesn't. And you know why? Because it's on the internet. And if it's on the internet, then it's obviously false.

Basically, it started at dinner. She got drunk so my dad ordered a curry - chicken vindaloo for him, with chips and bread; lamb kurma for me, with half a portion of rice. We ask my mum whether she wants anything, and she declines. Then, when the curry arrives, she decides to have half of mine. Bearing in mind I haven't eaten in 6 hours, and the last thing I ate was a bowl of berries. So yeah, I was a little miffed. After my dinner (she had the same amount as me, but she also had chips, bread, and popadoms) I eat more yoghurt and have a coconut cake. She asks why, I say I'm still hungry. The conversation is as follows...

Her: "You can't still be hungry."
    Me: "Well I am. I've had nowt to eat all day."
    Her: "Haven't you had your eggs and bacon?"
    Me: "Yeah, at like 9. Then I had a bowl of berries at noon, and a rice cake. That's not exactly a lot."
    Her *mutters*: "can't still be hungry..."
    Me: "Well, I am. And I'm a bit miffed that you nicked half of my dinner when it arrived. You could've just said you wanted a curry on the phone."
    Her: "Well, sorry I "nicked your dinner". I didn't expect you to eat a full bloody curry."
    Me: "Dad did."
    Her: "DAD is a grown man." (whom, by the way, is also overweight)
    Me: "And I'm a growING teenager. Who's been weightlifting today. I don't think you understand."
    her: "Can you go to bed on it? Just drink your cider." she then ran her eyes up and down my body, lingering her gaze on my stomach.

She does this all the time. Makes me feel like shit when i want to eat. When I eat more than she expects me to, she always comments "you had a lot tonight." It's gotten to the stage where I just don't want to eat around her. It's also gotten to the stage where I feel like I eat too much, and that's why I'm fat. But when I add up the calories, I don't even reach 2000.

Before all this I was in a great mood. I went for a bike ride because I wanted to, and I zoomed all over, sprinting up the hills. I had more energy then than I did when I was competitively racing, and it was wonderful. Then my old cycling friends came over, told me how much they were missing me, and how good I was at mountainbiking. There's a huge race on at the weekend, and they said I could've went if I had've been training and done quite well. We had a good chat, and my dad even offered me his bike "I can't really be bothered with mountain biking, and you could beast that 29er around canny." I was considering it until now. If I were to get back into it, I'd just be more hungry, and I'm not allowed to eat. Is it justified? I don't know, but I'm close to tears over the whole thing and it's just ridiculous.

Anyway, y'all can judge for yourselves. Here's what I ate today:

175.jpg Breakfast
    180.jpg Lunch
    192.jpg Dinner
    050.jpg Dessert.

And now I'm eating dark chocolate.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I'm around 5'4" - 5'5". Not sure whether i'm gonna grow much taller.

Maybe I shouldn't regard sizes with such disdain - they're only sizes, after all - but I honestly am overfat. Particularly on my legs and stomach. I'm not too sure about how much bellyfat is acceptable (in the sense that I'm in the middle of puberty and my body is preparing itself for adulthood) but I think I overpass the mark...I am trying to be a little easier on myself, but it's difficult.
    I didn't lose my podge until I was around 17. No dieting and no being hungry, nor even any loss of weight; I just finally developed a shape! I wasn't exactly fit by any means, but I wasn't overweight, even at a size 12–14, and I'm a few inches shorter than you.

Having said which, after six months on Primal I went down to a size 8 (now at size 10 after childbirth, but I'm expecting it to drop again in due course). But I see you saying you're built quite broad, which suggests to me you don't need to lose weight. Keep with the lifting and eating right and you'll find the weight you have will redistribute itself in a very attractive fashion.

Thank you very much :3 I'll try and come to some sort of agreement with my parents about my meals etc.
    This is the problem, isn't it? You're very much at the mercy of your parents. Can you get an appointment with your GP to get reassurance that you don't need to restrict calories? Blah blah BMI blah blah. If you can get them to approve a high-fat, whole food diet, so much the better (and you'd be surprised how many GPs are actually coming round to it now). You'll have important exams coming up this year and next, and I'm concerned that you shouldn't go into them with any constraints on your brain activity. Starving yourself will not do you any favours here!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mm, yea, I'm glad you get it. Most people on these forums are well past their twenties. They're done growingh, maybe now in the process of shrinking :P

It's like others said: this is probably your body getting ready to grow. Last thing you wanna do is mess with that. Seriously. Take it from me, a guy who unintentionally starved himself between ages 17-18. Result? 5'5 for life. :/
    Do you think you could've potentially grown more? It's a shame but I guess, you know how to eat now, if it's any consolation.

Banana allergy! Oh, that's a shame. Bananas are amazing.

I do like what Adrian said:

Because cottage cheese is great ESPECIALLY with berries. No kidding here, Blender + frozen berries + cottage cheese equals amazing ice cream like substance. It also goes great with mixins, like berries, nuts, dark chocolate, etc.
    You could maybe try out savory and have some potatoes. Again, with cottage cheese,.. hnnng.
    I love bananas! But they don't love me </3 tis a cryin' shame. But yeah, thanks guys, I'll make sure to try it :3 I never even considered cheese and berries, hmmm...

Lol. I, personally, found I saved money buying protein powder. That's why I bought it - I'm running off a student's budget :P It's useful since 1 scoop = roughly 25g protein, so it more protein than 100g chicken.

So, in perspective, is a kilo (1000g) of chicken breast is 230.9g of protein for... however much that is. Whereas with protein powder in roughly ten scoops of 31g (mine, anyway) you get 250g protein; so more protein in 310 grams than a kilo of chicken.

Basically, depends on budget and nearby prices. In short term, the animal protein is cheaper, but in the long term, the powder coulkd be cheaper. Don't get me wrong - I prefer animal protein any day, the reason I use the powder is to hit my protein macros on a budget because it's fairly inexpensive, and thus allows me to spend more money on foods I enjoy, like salmon rather than tuna and steak rather than chicken.
    That and it makes nice rice pudding.
    Huh, I guess you're right. But what can I say: my mother's fucked up in the ways of eatings. (see my below post - I didn't realise you posted here before I started to rant about my home life) but I'll try~

Nah, like I said: you're awesome. :P Now keep being awesome.
    Oh, you. Same to you, my friend. But you already know that. ;D

Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast