Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman gaining body fat page

peperomia is offline Junior Member

Woman gaining body fat

Primal Fuel
    I'm a 26 year old woman, 5'1" and in the past few months have gone from 125lbs to 133lbs.

I've been paleo for about 9months, probably 85-90% of the time. No dairy, no nuts/seeds.

Three months ago, I was 128lbs (about 22%-23% body fat). I was going to the gym (weight training) and jogging outside (usually 3miles, 5x a week), hoping to lower my body fat to around 19-20%. I felt great, but began to plateau.

I unfortunately no longer have a gym membership and have started using free weights and doing push-ups at home. In an attempt to "reset" and get to burning more fat again, I have been eating very low carb (all carbs are from vegetables) for about 5weeks and just completed the 21 day sugar detox (but basically still going). I also decreased the jogging, as I inferred it was too much and my body was just used to it. Each day, Mon-Fri, I do about 70mins of low-intensity movement (walk and bike ride) I thought this would help me lose weight, but I've been gaining body fat! I can see and feel a difference in my stomach, hips, thighs, and arms.

I'm very discouraged, as my initial goal was to be at 19-20% body fat and now I am at almost 25%. Regardless of body fat percentages, I'd love to look at the scale and see that I weight 120lbs. I want to be lean, strong, and energetic.

Usually, I eat about 2 meals per day with a snack in between (where lunch might be).

Example:
    Morning
    • Coffee with 3/4cup coconut milk
    • 4-5 slices of uncured bacon
    • 2 eggs fried in 1/2 the fat from bacon
    • 1cup spinach
    Midday
    • Dill pickles
    • Baby carrots
    • Slices of turkey or prosciutto
    • Tahini sauce
    Evening
    • Chicken breast
    • Chicken drumstick
    • Brussels sprouts
    • Tea

I should mention that I always feel really full after my evening meal. I take a probiotic and Omega3 supplement. I sleep about 8 hours per night. I don't feel excited to walk/bike ride or lift weights/body weight like I used to when I was jogging and going to the gym and using weight machines.

Any ideas? Tips? I feel stuck and have been trying to not stress about it, but my body isn't responding the way the paleo lifestyle should ensue and that concerns me.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Calories still count. Your coffee, in particular looks really high in calories if that is full fat coconut milk. It's close to 300 calories. I might take a look at what you eat in Calorie Counter software, (fit day) and go from there. For reference, I maintain at about 2000 calories a day, lose at 1600 and do Crossfit 5 days a week, plus am closer to 5'7, 175.

Also, some people do better with lots of protein, higher carbs, lower fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    And bacon (not trying to offend the Cult of Bacon members around here) is very calorie dense as well. If you're trying to lose weight then you might want to consider calorie dense food items like that to be more like treats and less like frequent dietary staples.

peperomia is offline Junior Member
    I use So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk beverage: So Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk Beverages | Unsweetened

Hmm, yeah, the coconut milk drink is a lot less calories.

I would think maybe some bloat from the salt in bacon and pickles.

My other thought is perhaps high fat, low carb isn't working for you. I mean, now that we eliminated a 300 calorie cup of coffee, your day doesn't look that outrageous unless you are eating a ton of tahini and eating the brussel sprouts cooked in a bunch of fat. Bacon calories are hard to guesstimate though.

I'd also go back to the exercise you enjoy doing.

sidewinder is offline Member
    After having been primal for a year and a half, I had a similar thing happen starting around the beginning of this year. I assumed it was due to stress-eating and cleaned up my diet - cut out the wheat and went back to my routine of coconut milk/coffee for breakfast with reasonably sized primal meals for lunch and dinner. Still wouldn't budge. Just didn't feel right. Wasn't sleeping well.

Then I bought a new light roast coffee that was delicious black but didn't go well with the coconut milk. Breakfast became black coffee with MAYBE 2 slices of bacon or (more often) 2 eggs fried in beef tallow. Suddenly the weight/fat started melting off. I don't know if I've cut back on calories significantly or if I've resolved a micronutrient deficiency, but I'm sleeping better and feeling much more energetic. I also cycle carbs based on what I'm craving for the day. I don't keep a set schedule.

I don't know if that helps, but I at least feel your pain!
    Last edited by sidewinder; 09-25-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: coconut milk drink is apparently lower calorie than regular coconut milk?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Cutting out cardio may be acceptable for men and really slim ladies, but most females just have to keep it in the program, chronic or not. Just can't create enough fat burning stimulus without it particular in pear-shaped . That's my opinion, and yea, I understand that there is a lot of 'you don't need no cardio' going on, just lift heavy, but I think it's the case of 'one size doesn't fit all'

Extreme fullness is also a sign of caloric excess. If you like your food, you might want to throw in a couple of days a week with one meal, not changing the others, if you are able to fast, to see if that caloric reduction will help.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    And bacon (not trying to offend the Cult of Bacon members around here) is very calorie dense as well. If you're trying to lose weight then you might want to consider calorie dense food items like that to be more like treats and less like frequent dietary staples.
    Could you list some other calorie dense food items? I try to limit bacon (Applegate Farms Sunday bacon) to 2-3 x a week. Thanks.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

sidewinder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Cutting out cardio may be acceptable for men and really slim ladies, but most females just have to keep it in the program, chronic or not.
    I do think part of my problem was that my running routine (2-3 miles, 2-3x/wk) got all shot to hell this year. BUT, I'm slimming back down and haven't brought it back except for the odd fun run once a month or so. Hmm. Why don't these bodies come with instruction manuals??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Could you list some other calorie dense food items?
    Full fat coconut milk (from a can)
    Heavy cream
    Nuts
    Butter
    Avocado
    Cooking oils- coconut etc.

That stuff adds up quick and for some people is easy to overeat. I can eat 2 avocados worth of guacamole with a spoon. I don't think those foods need to be cut out, rather they can't just be eaten in an unlimited fashion if you have weight to lose. People will claim you can't overeat that stuff, but some people can. It's as easy to eat 500 calories of almonds as a 500 calories of chips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast