Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Full fat coconut milk (from a can)
    Heavy cream
    Nuts
    Butter
    Avocado
    Cooking oils- coconut etc.

That stuff adds up quick and for some people is easy to overeat. I can eat 2 avocados worth of guacamole with a spoon. I don't think those foods need to be cut out, rather they can't just be eaten in an unlimited fashion if you have weight to lose. People will claim you can't overeat that stuff, but some people can. It's as easy to eat 500 calories of almonds as a 500 calories of chips.
    Oh, nuts (cashews and almonds)... They are my sub for crunchy things. I miss non-gmo corn and potato chips, and potatoes period. Southern field peas and butterbeans (legumes) are next...

I am guessing coconut butter is also calorie dense? That stuff is too good...

Thanks very much.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peperomia View Post

Any ideas? Tips? I feel stuck and have been trying to not stress about it, but my body isn't responding the way the paleo lifestyle should ensue and that concerns me.
    Well you seem to really wanna see a particular number on the scale. But you have started free weights and pushups... is that right? How do you know that you are now 25% body fat and not your goal bf of 20%? How do you measure. The scale lies. It tells you nothing about your composition. Measure fat.

On to the next part. Paleo doesn't ensure anything beyond a healthy body and mind. So if 133lbs is a healthy maintainable weight for you given your current circumstances....thats where you are gonna migrate to. If you change the circumstances so the weight will change. Could be that you need a calorie refeed once a week where you go very high calorie just to let your body know that its okay to not be so stingy with the fat stores....

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    It happened to me some years back, used to run daily and eat a very very liberal LC, lots of calorie dense food, I used to make a meal out of cream... no effect on my weight at all... then life happened, changed jobs changed life and couldn't keep up the running, kept my food the same way and ended up gaining a lot of fat.

Do not forget also the time factor, our bodies/hormones etc changes every year... nothing is constant.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peperomia View Post
    I'm a 26 year old woman, 5'1" and in the past few months have gone from 125lbs to 133lbs.

I've been paleo for about 9months, probably 85-90% of the time. No dairy, no nuts/seeds.

Three months ago, I was 128lbs (about 22%-23% body fat). I was going to the gym (weight training) and jogging outside (usually 3miles, 5x a week), hoping to lower my body fat to around 19-20%. I felt great, but began to plateau.

I unfortunately no longer have a gym membership and have started using free weights and doing push-ups at home. In an attempt to "reset" and get to burning more fat again, I have been eating very low carb (all carbs are from vegetables) for about 5weeks and just completed the 21 day sugar detox (but basically still going). I also decreased the jogging, as I inferred it was too much and my body was just used to it. Each day, Mon-Fri, I do about 70mins of low-intensity movement (walk and bike ride) I thought this would help me lose weight, but I've been gaining body fat! I can see and feel a difference in my stomach, hips, thighs, and arms.

I'm very discouraged, as my initial goal was to be at 19-20% body fat and now I am at almost 25%. Regardless of body fat percentages, I'd love to look at the scale and see that I weight 120lbs. I want to be lean, strong, and energetic.

Usually, I eat about 2 meals per day with a snack in between (where lunch might be).

Example:
    Morning
    • Coffee with 3/4cup coconut milk
    • 4-5 slices of uncured bacon
    • 2 eggs fried in 1/2 the fat from bacon
    • 1cup spinach
    Midday
    • Dill pickles
    • Baby carrots
    • Slices of turkey or prosciutto
    • Tahini sauce
    Evening
    • Chicken breast
    • Chicken drumstick
    • Brussels sprouts
    • Tea

I should mention that I always feel really full after my evening meal. I take a probiotic and Omega3 supplement. I sleep about 8 hours per night. I don't feel excited to walk/bike ride or lift weights/body weight like I used to when I was jogging and going to the gym and using weight machines.

Any ideas? Tips? I feel stuck and have been trying to not stress about it, but my body isn't responding the way the paleo lifestyle should ensue and that concerns me.
    Too much fat at breakfast IMO

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, nuts (cashews and almonds)... They are my sub for crunchy things. I miss non-gmo corn and potato chips, and potatoes period.
    If you are not opposed to salty tastes, try toasted seaweed. Another option is cocoa nibs. They are on the bitter side, and are much harder to overindulge in than the sweeter tasting nuts.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sidewinder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you are not opposed to salty tastes, try toasted seaweed. Another option is cocoa nibs. They are on the bitter side, and are much harder to overindulge in than the sweeter tasting nuts.
    Where do you get cocoa nibs?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    IMO if you want to drop the vanity weight, you're going to have to cut your calories. As it is now, as others have noted, you look to be consuming a lot just in your breakfast. Normal primal works for those wanting to maintain a healthy weight. For those wanting to go that extra mile, you're going to have to tweak it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Cutting out cardio may be acceptable for men and really slim ladies, but most females just have to keep it in the program, chronic or not. Just can't create enough fat burning stimulus without it particular in pear-shaped . That's my opinion, and yea, I understand that there is a lot of 'you don't need no cardio' going on, just lift heavy, but I think it's the case of 'one size doesn't fit all'

Extreme fullness is also a sign of caloric excess. If you like your food, you might want to throw in a couple of days a week with one meal, not changing the others, if you are able to fast, to see if that caloric reduction will help.
    1000% agree and I'm not pear shaped!

OP: You are not excited about jogging/biking probably because you don't have much energy from eating LC. I don't have advice for how you should eat but you should be 120 or less with what you are doing right now. I don't think VLC is good unless you have a ton of weight to lose. I learned the hard way. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Where do you get cocoa nibs?
    I get mine in a grocery chain store in the organic/health geeks section. I can't off hand remember the company, sorry, but they have tons of organic products, most of which I have never heard off before, but the usual stuff too, coconut sugar, chia, etc.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

speednutsII is offline Member
    It's hard to know what is going on without having a complete picture of your diet. Having said that, I think you're over training. Results are not in the exercising but in the recovery. It does not appear as though you are giving yourself enough time to fully recover from rather intense workouts. Usually weight gain despite a reasonable exercise routine means that there is a particular nutrient that is lacking in your diet. I'd probably recommend more natural sources of Omega 3 from food like fish and GRASS FED red meat. In addition, I would have more substantial amounts of fibrous, organic vegetables on a more regular basis as they are a great source of a multitude of different micronutrients. A lot of people tend to focus on calories when there is weight gain, which is possible, but starvation of a nutrient or hyperinsulinemic states (i.e. large carbohydrate intake) can stimulate fat production.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast