Thread: Keto diet,dairy free for the long term? page

Bibliophile is offline Junior Member

Keto diet,dairy free for the long term?

Hi everyone,

I'm not exactly new to this forum mostly just been haunting it for information but decided to join and hopefully get some insight from you guys?

To make a very long complicated story shorter, I have been paleo/primal for about 3 years now on and off the off periods were usually when hubby and I were unemployed *or briefly homeless* and just couldn't stretch our budget far enough. On the whole we both do very well eating this way however it has been recommended to me recently to give the keto diet a go.

The reason for this is major hormone imbalances and hormones sensitivity, for these reasons I avoid all diary including fermented dairy this is also because it simply doesn't agree with me I can't seem to digest it at all, however after doing the elimination diet 3 times *so much fun* egg are not a problem though the yolks are even better on their own for some reason, I am not on any medication anymore after years of doctors trying to "regulate" my hormones with injections and pills which I had a very large notebook amount of symptoms from, I packed them in and altered my lifestyle instead.

Things have definitely improved; I now get a period 4-6 months out of the year though they sometimes last up to 30 days bleeding heavily, but still I didn't have one at all for almost 3 years previous so I will take it! My hair no longer falls out in clumps every time I brush it or shower but it does still shed quite a bit more then it used to, I still get awful headaches and migraines though thankfully not every other day and they don't last more then 24 where as I would sometimes be in bed for 2-3 days with them, there are so many other symptoms but I won't bore you guys with them!

I went to 4 doctors they all did tests and not one of them could say what the problem actually is, just a "hey we don't know but take these pills/injection and it should fix it" They said there is no known medical reason for whats happening we only know it isn't PCOS/early menopause etc...16 different medications and 2 types of injections later over a year long period and still nothing all that happened was I developed small but uncomfortable cysts on my right ovary which is now larger then my left but thankfully no longer feels like I'm being stabbed repeatedly with a knitting needle.

So my questions for you,

>Has anyone had any similar issues to me and tried the keto diet? has it improved your condition at all?

>Is it possible to do keto long term without consuming dairy or fish, I'm highly allergic to fish?

>Is this advise completely ill advised, is there something else I could be doing?

Thank you guys so much for any insight you can give me, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm not exactly new to this forum mostly just been haunting it for information but decided to join and hopefully get some insight from you guys?

To make a very long complicated story shorter, I have been paleo/primal for about 3 years now on and off the off periods were usually when hubby and I were unemployed *or briefly homeless* and just couldn't stretch our budget far enough. On the whole we both do very well eating this way however it has been recommended to me recently to give the keto diet a go.

The reason for this is major hormone imbalances and hormones sensitivity, for these reasons I avoid all diary including fermented dairy this is also because it simply doesn't agree with me I can't seem to digest it at all, however after doing the elimination diet 3 times *so much fun* egg are not a problem though the yolks are even better on their own for some reason, I am not on any medication anymore after years of doctors trying to "regulate" my hormones with injections and pills which I had a very large notebook amount of symptoms from, I packed them in and altered my lifestyle instead.

Things have definitely improved; I now get a period 4-6 months out of the year though they sometimes last up to 30 days bleeding heavily, but still I didn't have one at all for almost 3 years previous so I will take it! My hair no longer falls out in clumps every time I brush it or shower but it does still shed quite a bit more then it used to, I still get awful headaches and migraines though thankfully not every other day and they don't last more then 24 where as I would sometimes be in bed for 2-3 days with them, there are so many other symptoms but I won't bore you guys with them!

I went to 4 doctors they all did tests and not one of them could say what the problem actually is, just a "hey we don't know but take these pills/injection and it should fix it" They said there is no known medical reason for whats happening we only know it isn't PCOS/early menopause etc...16 different medications and 2 types of injections later over a year long period and still nothing all that happened was I developed small but uncomfortable cysts on my right ovary which is now larger then my left but thankfully no longer feels like I'm being stabbed repeatedly with a knitting needle.

So my questions for you,

>Has anyone had any similar issues to me and tried the keto diet? has it improved your condition at all?

>Is it possible to do keto long term without consuming dairy or fish, I'm highly allergic to fish?

>Is this advise completely ill advised, is there something else I could be doing?

Thank you guys so much for any insight you can give me, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.
    Ketosis is effective in healthy metabolisms, everything is in place for it to operate effectively, even then it can take a while to adapt to.

Another thing ketosis only reduces blood glucose needed, it doesn't eliminate the need for glucose. Your body still needs glycogen from somewhere and in slow/stressed metabolisms this is usually body protein.

In short if your struggling a bit with health then you need help from the outside, asking your inside systems to take more of a load is not usually a great idea.

My recommendation to you is to eat cyclically, cycle your carbs high and low, cycle in some large and small caloric loads to a normal calorie range. Do a little but of fasting but don't do it daily. Eat quality fresh foods. Don't over exercise (get plenty of rest). This should engage your metabolism while also allowing metabolic systems to rest.

Eating the one way consistently daily, wears out the systems used and leaves others dormant.

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 09-25-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Bibliophile is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your reply, I get what you're saying to be honest I wasn't really looking forward to the extra work of Ketosis anyway
    considering Hubby wouldn't be eating that way also so I would be varying meals quite a bit.
    I just thought it was worth asking about and hopefully finding someone else who might have had similar issues to give me some ideas.

Thanks again.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I personally found carb cycling really doesn't work for me (hormone issues) but I think it's all trial and error really.

I've found keto excellent for my hormone issues and don't notice the symptoms when I'm doing keto.

I think keto without dairy & fish is definitely possible, I have a lot of days dairy free, not purposely. If you want some food ideas, click my blog link in my signature and on there there's a tab for "food & exercise posts"
    I eat cheese mainly, which could easily be left out of most meals.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal