Thread: Chicken broth from drumsticks? page

miniGrokette is offline Member

Chicken broth from drumsticks?

Primal Fuel
    I have a dozen organic Trader Joe's chicken drumsticks and was wondering if these would be okay to make a broth out of? I've never done it before.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Not my favorite, but they will work. I would pull the legs out when the meat is tender and remove the meat for other uses and put the bones back in. For some reason, bone broth from legs doesn't become gelatinous like it does when I use chicken and turkey bones.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Chicken heads and feet make the gelliest broth but legs will do in a pinch.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    It will totally work. I have done it before.

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    Of course, although I would personally make paleo fried chicken from them and use a carcase for actual broth
    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating a lot of drumsticks recently (covered in salt, pepper, and garlic powder and baked in the oven). After I eat the meat, I put the tendons and bones into a "Tupperware" container in the freezer. After fill up the container, I throw them in my pressure cooker to turn into bone broth. It makes some nice broth, and I get more bang out of my $1.99/pound Trader Joe organic drumsticks .

Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    I've been eating a lot of drumsticks recently (covered in salt, pepper, and garlic powder and baked in the oven). After I eat the meat, I put the tendons and bones into a "Tupperware" container in the freezer. After fill up the container, I throw them in my pressure cooker to turn into bone broth. It makes some nice broth, and I get more bang out of my $1.99/pound Trader Joe organic drumsticks .
    I need to be better about that! I have maybe three half-filled bags of freezer-burned bones and carcasses in my freezer that I intend for broth, but eventually rediscover and throw out. Bad, bad, bad.
    Madam von Sassypants is journaling and shiz.
    Frequently found there: links to delicious recipes, overenthusiasm, swear words, constant conflict from working for a craft brewery, and overall, the perspective of a lady who's been primal for over two years and is finally tackling an 18-month-old plateau.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    ^ Do you find that freezer-burn affects the taste of the broth? I've always used the bones, even if they have a little burn but I haven't noticed a difference in taste. I tend to wait till I have pounds of bones so I can make one HUGE batch instead of a bunch of smaller batches, so maybe the mix of fresher stuff helps.

During the summer I stock up on drumsticks bones-I BBQ so much and drumsticks are quick, cheap, and easy. I save the bones till I have a couple gallon freezer bags full and then make broth. Sometimes I have to simmer longer or reduce more to get it gelatin-y than when using a full carcass. When I remember to I pick up a bag of chicken feet and toss one in with drumsticks to add more cartilage/gelatin goodness.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener