Thread: Omega 3s and Too Much Fat page

maurapprimal is offline Member

Omega 3s and Too Much Fat

Primal Fuel
    Good morning all,

So recently I had my weight loss stall a bit, re-evaluated (and read Mark's book again!), and have gotten everything back in gear again over the past week or so. A few days ago I started tracking my food in paloetrack just to align myself with the carb curve. Carbs are in the right place, all good, but then I noticed both my protein has been unusually low (barely hitting 75 on average), my fats seemed a bit high in comparison (66% of calories) and my omega ratio was pretty awful.

Now protein I can fix fine (moar bacon/beef), and fats I'm ok with as I think they are keeping me satisfied all day (I'm rarely super hungry anymore). But I definitely want to fix that omega ratio. Now, I know what to cut back on to improve it (darn you yummy almond flour baked goods), but I was wondering what other things I could wiggle into my diet to up the omega-3s. I take a fish oil (300mg), as I really don't like fish all that much. Eggs, as well, I need more of.

What do you guys do for your omega-3 fix?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    more beef, less bacon. fixed!

Childeric is offline Junior Member
    krill oil

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Too bad you don't like fish because sardines were sent here from God to nourish all people of the world into perfect health.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurapprimal View Post
    I take a fish oil (300mg), as I really don't like fish all that much.
    Honestly I'd keep trying--anchovy in a dressing or dip, herring or mackerel in an omelet, smoked trout, sardines with dijon mustard. Fish have too many nutrients to list.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

maurapprimal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Honestly I'd keep trying--anchovy in a dressing or dip, herring or mackerel in an omelet, smoked trout, sardines with dijon mustard. Fish have too many nutrients to list.
    My tastes have changed a lot since going primal, maybe I will give it a go again. I can't stand salmon, and I've had it cooked to perfection. But I do like scallops & crab (not "fish" I know, but yummy), shrimp. Trout I don't mind but fresh caught the bones are annoying. I feel like I need to go try a wider "variety" of fish now...

DFord is offline Member
    Are you eating cage free eggs, grass fed meats? I don't believe paleo track factors this in. So it throws off the omegas a bit. I'd try and find a fish that you like and eat it once per week.

Quote Originally Posted by maurapprimal View Post
    My tastes have changed a lot since going primal, maybe I will give it a go again. I can't stand salmon, and I've had it cooked to perfection. But I do like scallops & crab (not "fish" I know, but yummy), shrimp. Trout I don't mind but fresh caught the bones are annoying. I feel like I need to go try a wider "variety" of fish now...

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    smoked salmon is way nicer than fresh salmon IMO. fish really needs to be fresh and by fresh, i mean within 24 hrs of swimming not "fresh" as in been frozen out on the boat when it was caught, defrosted and frozen and packed again and then defrosted and filleted for sale.