Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reps & Sets with Overhead Press page 2

John Watson is offline Member
    Dips are awesome...just have to be careful with them too. They can put an extreme amount of stress on the shoulders if your form gets sloppy/loose.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    Dips are awesome...just have to be careful with them too. They can put an extreme amount of stress on the shoulders if your form gets sloppy/loose.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    You and that article could say the same thing for any exercise. Thats why a certain idiot trainer subs in bulgarian spilt squats because squats are too dangerous.

I agree that form is important but dips and btn presses have been staples of every strong man for the last century.

OP. variety and volume and frequency is key to a strong OHP probably more so then any other lift. Micro loading helps i suppose but people like Dan John are against it saying just rep the fuck out of a certain weight until its easy then toss on some 25s (not 2.5s!) and start again.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You and that article could say the same thing for any exercise. Thats why a certain idiot trainer subs in bulgarian spilt squats because squats are too dangerous.
    I have a really confident guess who you're talking about, but to be fair, lots of idiot trainers sub BSS for squats because squats are "too dangerous."

I agree that form is important but dips and btn presses have been staples of every strong man for the last century.
    Especially presses. I do think behind the neck presses have lower reward:risk ratio than pressing in front of the head. But you still have to lockout over the scapulae, and I think a lot of people miss that point.

OP. variety and volume and frequency is key to a strong OHP probably more so then any other lift. Micro loading helps i suppose but people like Dan John are against it saying just rep the fuck out of a certain weight until its easy then toss on some 25s (not 2.5s!) and start again.
    Yeah, yeah. Paint the 5 lb plates pink and all that. Personally, I don't buy it. If you can add weight to the bar every time, you're getting stronger. If you're pressing once per week and add 2.5 lbs every time, you'll add 150 lbs to your press in a year. 1.25 x 52 is still 75 pounds, assuming you miss a couple workouts.

What did you add to your press last year? I would consider adding 75 pounds to my press work weight to be the best press training year of my life by a long shot. 150 and I'd write an ebook, sell a million copies, and retire.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I have a really confident guess who you're talking about, but to be fair, lots of idiot trainers sub BSS for squats because squats are "too dangerous."

Especially presses. I do think behind the neck presses have lower reward:risk ratio than pressing in front of the head. But you still have to lockout over the scapulae, and I think a lot of people miss that point.

Yeah, yeah. Paint the 5 lb plates pink and all that. Personally, I don't buy it. If you can add weight to the bar every time, you're getting stronger. If you're pressing once per week and add 2.5 lbs every time, you'll add 150 lbs to your press in a year. 1.25 x 52 is still 75 pounds, assuming you miss a couple workouts.

What did you add to your press last year? I would consider adding 75 pounds to my press work weight to be the best press training year of my life by a long shot. 150 and I'd write an ebook, sell a million copies, and retire.
    I agree. A few oldtime strongmen would micro load with ounces and it worked. It can be done either way. We all lnow linear progression only goes so far though. You may add 75lb in year one, 40 in year two and 10 in year three.

Also, klokov presses for boulder shoulders.

I agree. A few oldtime strongmen would micro load with ounces and it worked. It can be done either way.
    It can be for sure. I guess the question is what's more optimal for a particular trainee.

We all lnow linear progression only goes so far though. You may add 75lb in year one, 40 in year two and 10 in year three.
    Oh, definitely. Wouldn't dare suggest otherwise.

Also, klokov presses for boulder shoulders.
    Well, I do love exercises "named" for someone who was born decades or centuries after the exercise became popular.

Zach is offline Banned
    Well, I do love exercises "named" for someone who was born decades or centuries after the exercise became popular.
    Haha, for sure. Klokov for President!

Haha, for sure. Klokov for President!
    Of what country? I'd probably vote for him regardless.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Of what country? I'd probably vote for him regardless.
    Hopefully, here. After he whoops down Froning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12