Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Really Hungry (Well sort of?)! Should I just shove my face for a while? page

LiamT is offline Member

I'm Really Hungry (Well sort of?)! Should I just shove my face for a while?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

These last few days I've shifted into a pretty low carb range in my diet, I haven't been counting but the only dense carb food I've had is one banana eat day. Everything else has been meat, vegetables (the low carb kind, tomatoes, celery, etc no potatoes), eggs, nuts, olives and fats like olive oil and butter. I've also had a bit of tuna and salami (<--- not perfect but not a huge sin either).

Today (I'd call it day three I guess) I was VERY tired at 12 - 4 and I got home and drank some bullion then I ate a tin of tuna, several slices of salami with butter on top, a handful of nuts and finally a banana. I don't feel energetic but I do feel more alive than I did before I ate it. I guess this is a pretty normal thing when I'm eating basically no carbs and my body isn't used to breaking down fat yet.

Actually I'm not hungry like I remember being in the past but I have the continual desire to eat. Not carbs, I don't have any sugar withdrawals. Just the urge to shove my face. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do about it? Did it go away after the first few weeks? Would you suggest I just shove my face with the right foods and not stress about it or enforce some will and go without? I'm planning to have a daily banana to keep my carbs up a little but that'll still leave me in a low range as it is my only dense carb source. Would you suggest some more carbs than that?

Thanks for all of your advice in advanced. One final thing, I'm lean and wouldn't hurt putting on some weight. I'm not eating Paleo to drop pounds but to eat an optimal diet so that might flavour some of your responses.

Liam

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    You might not be overeating at all. Tuna and vegetables have a lot of volume but less energy than pasta, soda, etc. Folks who are naturally lean tend to eat more frequently and more carbohydrate so I would be unafraid of potatoes and possibly rice and peas.

If the appetite is intrusive I would plan proper meal courses, e.g.:
    soup/salad -> protein/starch -> fruit/fat
    Looking forward to that is better than drifting from one snack to the next IMO.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Strife is offline Member
    You should be fine increasing your consumption of healthy foods. I usually drink a cup of coffee with heavy cream to quiet my food cravings, but I've also used sunflower seeds in the past, too. Or try avocado.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're lean and could stand to gain, stuff away.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Give yourself a break! Your body is hungry because it's looking for carbs. Your body figures that if you shove your face enough, some of that shove stuff will be carbs. Don't give in to carbs! Shove away, but keep it low-carb. Better yet, shove with butter and fatty meat. That will fill you up quickly. When you break the carb addiction, the urge to shovel should fade over a couple weeks.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Thats probably because you are hungry. Replacing carb heavy items with vegetables or lean protein will likely reduce your calorie intake.

ConnorBryant is offline Member
    Basically, if you're hungry and you're eating good food, eat away.

Don't eat carbs at this time. But eat your fill of meaty goodness.

Alternatively, I like to exercise my willpower, but only in a limited way. I like to tell myself that I'm going to eat, but after half an hour, or whatever time limit is practical. I do this for a few reasons; 1 - I had problems with willpower in the past and like to feel in control
    2- It's a good chance to exercise your willpower
    3- Hunger is the best sauce!

You don't have to deny natural hunger, but you can have your steak and eat it too!

70in2012 is offline Senior Member

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Yeah eat plenty of food and don't go hardcore on the exercise. Also don't go low carb indefinitely, a month long low carb stint is great for reducing your reliance on exogenous glucose.

After the month, cycle your carbs. If you can balance out your glucagon and insulin secretion your golden

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

LiamT is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

My calorie intake is definitely not lower since cutting out carbs, I counted it today and it is actually significantly higher when I listen to my "shove my face" urges which I have decided to do while my body gets used to burning fat. I haven't been eating grains for a couple of months (just a bit of rice here and there) so really the main change I have made is removing potatoes and rice which has dropped my carb intake to a very low level. So presumably my body is just getting used to that which I hope happens quickly.

Today has been better, I am still really tired, foggy, have difficulty concentrating and am a touch irritable. All symptoms of "carb flu" which aren't ideal as I'm an English teacher so it does make work a bit of a grind. Also I have noticed my level of Italian has dropped from conversational to just coping, again because I can't concentrate. However, I'm not crazing sugar or grains at all. Just food in general. So while it probably isn't the healthiest thing in the world I've allowed myself to be an eating machine and I'll start worrying about portions and overall calories once my brain fog has lifted. For example, earlier I nipped into the supermarket next to work and there was a small tub of (locally produced) mascarpone on special for €0.99 which I ate with my daily banana. That alone was in excess of a thousand calories (and 100g of fat) so I'm definitely not shying away from the fat. By the way mascarpone tastes AWESOME with sliced banana but I'd suggest about 100g not the 250g I ate today. With some nuts and coconut flakes it would make a pretty great high fat snack.

Anyway, I guess I'll just plow on and wait until I get over the initial symptoms of needing to digest the fat better.

I'm not exercising beyond cycling to and from work, after I've become fat adapted I'll probably look into carb loading days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast