Thread: Cooking with Tallow page

uint32 is offline Junior Member

Cooking with Tallow

Shop Now
    Good afternoon everyone.

Over the weekend I decided to purchase some beef suet and render some tallow to use for cooking.

The process seemed fairly simple but the end product seems awfully hard, it's like candle wax when cold! I was expecting the end product to be a little more like lard, have I done something wrong or should it be this consistency?

I oven fried some sweet potato wedges and after eating I could feel the solidified coating of it in my mouth.

Should I try again or is this how tallow should be?

Thanks.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Tallow will be hard if you're keeping it in the fridge. I usually keep a jar by the stove for cooking so it isn't so rock solid. I keep the rest in the fridge to keep fresh.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

I will remove it from the fridge tonight. Hopefully it will make it a little softer!

Will it keep out of fridge or go rancid?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Well... I don't really care for how it starts to smell after a few weeks of leaving it out. I think it's better to use it up fast or else bring it out a little ahead of time if you know you want it softer for something.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Tallow is more saturated than lard so it will never have that smooth oily texture. Indeed it's hard to use when cold so I keep it in the cupboard. Rancidity risk is very low due to the small polyunsaturate fraction--I've never had it happen and I understand the odor is unmistakable when it does.

Bad mouth feel might just be using too much, 1 melted tablespoon goes a long way IME.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I buy my tallow from Fatworks. I keep it in my cupboard for at least a month. I've never smelled anything distasteful, but they use more of commercial type of equipment and strainer so maybe it is easier to get out any impurities/brown bits with their equipment. It is quite hard. I use a fork to get it out of the jar.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks peoples.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Suet is harder than other areas of fat. A whole cow has loads of fat - try rendering some from another part of the animal. It will almost certainly be softer and easier to use.

The hard suet fat is excellent for making dumplings and pastry using - of course! - gluten free flour. Doves Farm gluten free self raising makes super dumplings.