Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ratio of veggies to meat/eggs page

kalewoman is offline Member

ratio of veggies to meat/eggs

Primal Fuel
    Forgive me if the answer to this question is somewhere else. I couldn't find it.

Do we know what the ideal ratio is, generally, of non-starchy veggies to meat/eggs, either by volume or by calories?

I'm new to primal eating, and was previously on a vegan diet ("eat to live"). I like primal so far, but it feels like a lot of meat and eggs. How much can I get away with increasing the ratio of veggies to meat? I don't want to eat too many veggies and thereby get too many carbs or too little protein, but on the flipside I don't want to eat too few veggies and miss out on the vital micronutrients they supply that cannot be obtained through meat.

what I've noticed is it tends to be diff for everyone. some eat tons of veggies others eat absolutely no carbs. I'm no expert but I'd say to try at keep fat at least 50% of your diet

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I think youd have a hard time eating "too many" veggies on a regular basis. And unless your trying to lose a significant amount of weight, I wouldnt recommend it. Eat all the kale you can kalewoman, its my favorite!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    I think youd have a hard time eating "too many" veggies on a regular basis. And unless your trying to lose a significant amount of weight, I wouldnt recommend it. Eat all the kale you can kalewoman, its my favorite!
    Mine too! I just finished posting in my thread about my favorite restaurant creating a kale cocktail for me;p

My sig line has some links about produce/potassium

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing there's no narrow "sweet spot." We're not doing The Zone here. :-) I eat veggies to my heart's content, but you may want to cut back on roots and tubers if you are looking to lose fat. Experiment a bit and see what works best for you.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    OTOH you can't really eat too much meat, especially if it's good quality grass-fed and you include organ meats like liver. It has a brilliant nutrient profile and you won't be 'missing' anything.

If you're concerned, it might be worth using FitDay or NutritionData to track your foods and keep an eye on things.

Thanks for the replies. Tracking nutrients is a good idea - I'm going to try that. I'm glad to hear there's no exact ideal ratio. It's very encouraging to hear that there are really no restrictions on veggies, except not to allow carbs to get too high. I do tend to feel best when I'm eating LOTS of vegetables.

After posting my question, I kept searching on the blog, and finally found the Primal Food Guide Pyramid in this post: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/, which also helps to answer my question.

Primal Nutrition is the BOMB! I'm really stoked to get the food aspect down so I can delve more into the exercise! During the past few days, I've actually felt a natural desire to do weight training - something that has NEVER happened to me in all my years of mostly-veganism. Very exciting!

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    As rok out says, it's dif. for everyone. My weight stalls if I eat too many veggies. I'm cutting back till I reach my goal, then I'll up 'em till just short of beginning to gain. It has to do with insulin resistance for me -- if I'm gaining weight I'm eating too many veggies.

primalpatty, thanks. Do you gain weight when you eat too many veggies, even if you minimize the more carb-rich ones (potatoes, sweet potatoes)?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    Primal Nutrition is the BOMB! I'm really stoked to get the food aspect down so I can delve more into the exercise! During the past few days, I've actually felt a natural desire to do weight training - something that has NEVER happened to me in all my years of mostly-veganism. Very exciting!
    This is my favorite part. I used to force myself to workout. Now my body asks for it.

BTW I always feels better when I eat lots of veggies (to go with lots of meat) If i restrict veggie consumption I get all backed up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast