Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who did your parents teach you to hate? page 2

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    My parents didn't teach me to hate anyone either. That doesn't mean I'm not (extremely) opinionated, but the opinions are my own.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Luckily I don't respect my parents, so I didn't assimilate any of their bigotry.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    My mom was born in the deep south in 1930, and left home at 16.
    She made it a point to keep any overt fears or hatred out of our home.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    No one. Growing up with a small business and large extended family with thousands of people to interact with, I was never taught to hate anyone. Just the opposite; I learned how to get along with just about any rational person. My parents were too busy to be hateful towards any specific group of people.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    They didn't teach me to hate anyone... But they sure do a lot of stereotyping.

(They are pretty racist. I was going to write some anecdotes but I don't want to offend anyone...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My dad, I've learned as I've gotten older, is very innocuously racist. It wasn't until I grew up, moved out, and got more perspective (met more people) that I realized how many awkward comments he has about other cultures. It was surprising to me. I just didn't expect that from him. I don't think it really rubbed off on me though, aside from having very little exposure to other races. That was just a result of our community.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    My grandparents used to drop a lot of racist and anti-Semitic garbage into what had otherwise been perfectly nice conversations. Even a small child, however, I realized they were ignorant and lacked understanding. I think that was one of my first awakenings to the fact that adults didn't know everything.

My parents, on the other hand, did a good job at reinforcing that idea that racism and anti-Semitism were wrong. My brother was a rubella baby, with some cognitive disabilities and developmental delays, so picking on anyone with any kind of disability was out of the question. I think he's a big part of the reason why I've always sided with the underdog.

However--my father was a narcissist, and part of building himself up meant tearing others down. If I learned to hate anybody from him, it was myself. And I did take a lot of that self-blame and self-loathing out on other people before finally coming to grips with it and getting over it.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was taught that Mormons were a cult and believed in secret magic underwear, and that at some point my best friend (who was a Mormon) would try to convert me. One day she asked me if I wanted to come to some church activity and my parents said see, told you so, and then I wasn't allowed to be her friend anymore.

I was also taught that Catholics were misguided. Protestants, especially Lutherans and Methodists, were the only true religion.

They didn't say anything about race. Only religion.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was a Mormon, and I was taught that we were the only true church. We were above all other churches and had been selected directly by God and Jesus. Glad I questioned everything, and wish now I had questioned even more. I was never taught to hate anyone though, but believing your are better, chosen or above others is almost as bad.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast