Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best Fermented Food? page

healthyeater is offline Junior Member

What is the best Fermented Food?

Primal Fuel
    I want to include one fermented food in my diet for probiotics. I have a Whole Foods by me and they have the real fermented Pickles, Sauerkraut, Tempeh, and Miso. I have absolutely no taste preference. If you were only going to have one of these, would any in particular be best? Does any one have more probiotics or health benefits then others?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables are the easiest to use--a couple forkfuls as an appetizer goes with any meal. Curtido and giardiniera are my favorites. Tempeh and miso are "safe soy" but the probiotics disappear if you heat them. A dab of miso in salad dressing can be tasty. Raw cheeses are also good (roquefort, gouda, etc.)
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I really like kimchi.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    I eat tons of fermented foods and feel that sauerkraut or kimchi are best. I eat these plus kombucha, fermented ginger/tumeric tea, and sometimes raw goat yogurt, fermented coconut water and coconut yogurt. I make all of this homemade and would also eat pickles but have never gotten them to come out right. Dr. Mercola feels it is best to eat a wide variety of fermented foods though, but if you can only do one thing, sauerkraut or kimchi is probably best.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Saukerkraut is easy to obtain for me. Kimchi is my favorite in terms of taste though.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry, Bob, but the correct answer was "fermented donuts". You don't get the prize and we're not sending you and your family on an all expenses paid trip to Primalcon 2014. Thank you for playing anyway and tune in again next week.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    On a less serious note, I'd scratch tempeh and miso off the list as they're made from soy beans. A tad here or there might not kill ya but I wouldn't make them dietary staples either.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Out of your list OP, I would probably have to say sauerkraut.

However, ideally, you should eat multiple types of fermented food, as that way you introduce multiple types of bacteria to your gut (as different fermentation processes and different foods require different bugs to work). Though it seems like fermented food works best as a side dish to meals, as opposed to the whole meal.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The best fermented food is wine. I don't think it has the probiotic properties you are seeking, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Bubbie's pickles are delicious. I love sauerkraut on grass fed hot dogs. Get some yogurt from a farm, and you've got a nice selection so you don't have to treat your food like medicine by eating X amount of one food every day.

But if I had to pick only one, I'd pick sauerkraut just because it's so versatile. Having to eat pickles or yogurt every day would quickly turn those foods from ones I like to ones I don't like.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast