Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday treat for someone with IBS page

ksagle is offline Member

Question Birthday treat for someone with IBS

Primal Fuel
    I have a colleague who suffers from IBS, and it happens to be her birthday this week. She mentioned her love for cupcakes once, so I was thinking I'd love to bring in some kind of yummy treat for her.

I don't know much about IBS, although I understand that Gluten and Dairy typically need to be avoided. So I'm wondering, if I was to make some sort of Paleo dessert (cupcakes using coconut flour, etc.), is there any other ingredients that I should most likely avoid?

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I would not use coconut flour because it has a lot of fiber, and for some with IBS it can cause a flare.

I would sub coconut oil for the butter in recipes. Bob's Red Mill makes a great chocolate cake mix that is gluten/dairy free. We have used it successfully. You could make a swiss meringue frosting (egg whites, sugar, vanilla) and that would be tasty!

ksagle is offline Member
    Hmmm. Ok, that's helpful! I'm looking at a few Paleo recipes online and most include coconut flour. I wonder if I could use almond flour instead....

For example:
    ¼ cups Coconut Flour
    ¼ cups Cacao Powder
    ¼ teaspoons Celtic Sea Salt
    ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
    4 whole Eggs
    ¼ cups Coconut Oil
    ⅓ cups Honey

Any other issues in there?

ksagle is offline Member
    Actually, this one looks even yummier!

cupcakes:
    1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    Seeds scraped from half a vanilla bean
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup honey

icing:
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    Tiny pinch of salt
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee

thoughts??

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Coconut flour is very fibrous so that can be bad too, but honestly, I think it'll be less disastrous than a regular cupcake.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Just make flourless chocolate cake...

Or coconut cream ice cream.

You can also look at vegan desserts such as a cashew "cheesecake" with coconut oil and medjool date crust.

Note: Gluten-free flour is better than coconut or nut flour for someone with IBS. Too much fiber otherwise.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    +1. I've taken a flourless chocolate cake recipe and made mini cupcakes before, it worked well. The minis would likely be better than full sized cupcakes, though - the cake is so dense and rich a big cupcake would be too much, whereas two minis would be just right.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post

Or coconut cream ice cream.

You can also look at vegan desserts such as a cashew "cheesecake" with coconut oil and medjool date crust.

Note: Gluten-free flour is better than coconut or nut flour for someone with IBS. Too much fiber otherwise.
    Good ideas. If by gluten-free flour you mean rice/tapioca/potato mix, that is probably true. I am just a special flour who can't deal with starches (and probably not their flours either).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought "fecal transplant donation?" Lord, I hope so. There's probably something wrong with me.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would find out what their diet is like now. There are some really delicious gluten-free/grain-free brownie recipes out there. I'm also a fan of King Arthur gluten-free cake mixes. They are seriously better than any gluten cake I have ever had (I use coconut oil to make them)

Anyway... IBS is a vague term. Could be anything from acid reflux to explosive diarrhea and a million things in between and virtually unlimited triggers. Oranges could upset one person's stomach while another might react to eggs or coffee or milk or gluten or... you get the point. I would ask.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast