Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Shakes on PB page

spursberry is offline Member

Protein Shakes on PB

Primal Fuel
    Hi

New here! Day 1 of PB for me - although been researching it for a while

I've been recommended to take protein shakes due to the amount of intolerances I have and work that I do

I know PB have their own shake, but ignoring that for now... ;-)

I was advised to take Impact Whey Protein

Is this okay on the PB way of life?

If so, and we can't have milk (I think thats right, as I say, I'm new to it!) what's best to mix it with

Thanks in advance - and sorry if it's a daft questions

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Milk is out if you want to do strict, Loren Cordain-style Paleo. Lots of us here do dairy. If you don't tolerate dairy well, it may make sense to cut it out, and the only way to know for "sure" is to do an elimination experiment, then add it back in.

I think the whey is the least problematic ingredient in most whey protein products. I use an unflavored, unsweetened version, to avoid artificial sweeteners, colors, and other general chemical junk that those things are often full of.

But it depends on your goals. Why do you need the whey? Are you having trouble getting enough protein from actual food? If so, I say go for it. Just pay attention to what else you're taking along with the whey, and know that some people have bad reactions to WPC and do better with WPI, but for others, both are pretty near equal, and WPC can be cheaper.

spursberry is offline Member
    Thank you Rich

Fast and informative!!

Yes I'm not getting enough protein from my food - partly because I'm restricted by what I can eat and buying and eating chicken/turkey all the time is not financially possible for me - or much on the variation front!

I work two jobs, day and night, 6 days a week, of which one of the jobs doesn't have a fridge so storing cooked meat - or milk etc - is out of the question

So it's just trying to keep up my protein levels while I loose weight and get in shape

Thanks

cheryl is offline Member
    I use a Isopure low Carb Protein mixed into my kale smoothie and my husband who is a "grab and go to work have no time to make anything", type drinks EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control shakes. You can get them at Walmart or Publix. They have no sugar, carbs are only 4, and taste like Yoohoo. If you don't have time to make your own these are good

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl View Post
    I use a Isopure low Carb Protein mixed into my kale smoothie and my husband who is a "grab and go to work have no time to make anything", type drinks EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control shakes. You can get them at Walmart or Publix. They have no sugar, carbs are only 4, and taste like Yoohoo. If you don't have time to make your own these are good
    I'd rather drink one with sugar than the artificial sweeteners those doubtless contain.

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    I've been having great success lately incorporating some whey protein and/or sugar free protein bars (sweetened with sugar alcohols) into my diet, while sticking solidly to Paleo/PB. I found I was not getting enough protein in my diet to support my fitness goals. I use Whole Foods brand Vanilla Whey and find it tastes good, mixes well and has a fairly good ingredient list and macro nutrient profile. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by spursberry View Post
    Hi

New here! Day 1 of PB for me - although been researching it for a while

I've been recommended to take protein shakes due to the amount of intolerances I have and work that I do

I know PB have their own shake, but ignoring that for now... ;-)

I was advised to take Impact Whey Protein

Is this okay on the PB way of life?

If so, and we can't have milk (I think thats right, as I say, I'm new to it!) what's best to mix it with

Thanks in advance - and sorry if it's a daft questions

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I make smoothies with coconut milk (not the heavy, full fat stuff). It works fine.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RMF5630 is offline Junior Member
    I get my shake at the gym, they use a low-fat peanut butter in the Vanilla Bean I get. That and 1/2 cup of brown rice after weight workouts are two of the three non-primal things I eat each week.

The third is a pint or two of Guiness on the weekends, sorry for somethings there are no substitutes. I am going to Ireland next month and I will indulge in Guiness at St James Gate and Jameson's in Dublin, as I said for somethings there are no substitutes so why even try?

I truly belief Grok would have left Guiness as it is...

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Get some natural whey protein powder and some canned, full-fat coconut milk. Mix together in a glass and you're good to go.

Read the ingredients. Avoid anything that has preservatives. Avoid artificial sweeteners -- if it's a choice between sugar and aspartame/sucralose/acesculfame K, pick the one with sugar (it should be a menial amount anyway). Of course, if you can find one sweetened with stevia, that's the better option.

The ingredient list should look something like this: whey (concentrate, hydrolysate, isolate, etc.), sweetener (stevia, sugar, cane juice, fructose, xylitol, etc.), natural flavor (vanilla, chocolate, cocoa powder, etc.), and maybe some natural binders/fillers (xanthan gum, guar gum, soy lecithin, etc.). Anything else is probably not worth your money and may halt weight loss.

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I mix mine with half water, half unsweetened almond milk. Very satisfying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast