Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmers Market Finally! page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Farmers Market Finally!

So finally the weather is warming up here in Colorado and the farmers markets are starting to get more local produce in stock. Here was our haul from the closest market this weekend.

Cucumbers, farm eggs, onions, asparagus, green lettuce, romaine lettuce, and freshly roasted green chilis (they were still hot when we picked them up).

Not a ton, but I shop both for price and for local resources, and there was still A LOT of stuff coming from California and Mexico. Nothing organic unfortunately, there was VERY little selection of organic. Still poking around for a good budget friendly organic produce source.

Big salads tonight and I think I will do some elk backstrap on the grill with green chilis inside and wrapped in bacon. Maybe grilled asparagus as well. Mmmm.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    This post just made me realize again how much I miss living in coastal Southern California. 6 days a week, 12 months a year, there's a farmer's market somewhere nearby loaded with organic foods that has to be sold NOW. The farmer's market out here in the so cal desert is a joke. A couple guys with vans drive to the wholesale produce mart in downtown LA and basically bring the same stuff that our grocery stores have. Meh.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Our CSA box started last week - lettuce, radishes, kale, turnips, chard, broccoli, green garlic, spinach, napa cabbage. Lots of big old green leaves to eat eat eat!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    The farmers market here just opened yesterday, too. Only open June to first of Oct. Not all organic, but definitely local stuff. Got some asparagus, lettuces, radishes, bison, sausages, organic free range eggs, and a free range chicken (described by the seller as 'happy chickens') that was lipsmackingly devoured for dinner today. Yum.

I just cooked up a fab dinner with half the items bought today.....I am going to have to hunt up more farmers markets at this rate!

Grol, entirely jealous. Colorado is a beautiful state, but it does not have much of a growing season like California. I am working on a few garden items this year.....hoping to put in larger boxes next year and MAYBE get the HOA to approve a cover so I can have some greenhouse items.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    thats some nice looking produce

Here are the after effects of our shopping (and an intense 3 mile hike/trail run that we tossed in for the fun of it)....

Grilled asparagus
    Side salad (tomatoes and red pepper were from grocery)

and the winner of the group

Grilled elk backstrap stuffed with fresh roasted green chilies, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. All I can say is YUMMO. They came out great. Think I will post the recipe on my site so I can remember that one.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I'm shocked your farmers market allows out of state stuff. The one I manage, we have to adhere to certain guidelines in order to get funding to promote the market. MUST be local, within 100kms.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Oh, Meadow, I got goose bumps! POST THAT RECIPE!!!!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    those kebabs look amazing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast