Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Shake page

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member

Protein Shake

Does anyone have a recipe for a truly primal/creamy protein shake that does not include dairy? I love my protein shakes, but I think they bloat me because of the processing. Any ideas?

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Whey powder. other than that could think about blending eggs into smoothies (when you mix them with say bananas they are actually taste amazing). Bananas and avocados are awesome sources of amino acids, easily digestable and some carbs for energy, green smoothies can be made with a decent blender, where dark leaves or for me, frozen brocolli are thrown in the mix - you dont notice them. Coconut milk will make any shake nice and creamy instead of regular milk. Spirulina is supposed to be the the highest quality protein from any plant source but its expensive for decent quantities
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I make my protein shake with a cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 2 scoops Jarrow unflavored (and unsweetened) whey protein powder and 1 tbsp of 100% cocoa powder. Very creamy, a little chocolaty, but not sweet. It's strawberry season here in MA so I'll be replacing the cocoa powder with 1/2 cup strawberries come next weekend.

I just drink flavorless whey haha. to lazy to bother with adding flavor

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

jeffb01 is offline Junior Member
    my morning shake:
    6 to 8 oz 'so delicious' unsweetened coconut milk
    3 raw eggs
    1 scoop or less whey powder (optional)
    2 tablespoons oil (some combo of flaxseed w/ lignans, concentrated fish oil, and evoo)
    around a teaspoon of concentrace trace mineral drops

It's good and creamy but not sweet at all.

I Don't add coconut oil because it's cold so the coconut oil will be like little chunks of floating wax in my drink.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Whey powder, coconut milk, cocoa powder, about a 2" piece of banana for sweetness (or Stevia if I must), some water to fill the glass. If I have coffee left over from my morning cup I pour that in. Very yummy, filling, and I'm not hungry for HOURS.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    steak and eggs.

okay, its not really a shake... but its protein!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Great question...

I am working on a Primal Smoothie Recipe book

They will contain various different foods and will be protein and fat rich with fruit for flavor. A lot will have whey protein. I also enjoy hemp in mine - good fat, good protein - just limited on quantity of protein.

Avocados and most forms of coconut (milk my fav for now) are excellent additions to protein smoothies.

I use 100% whey protein with no added flavor... I enjoy making smoothies where I flavor it with whole foods myself
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Doodman222 is offline Junior Member
    I usually use heavy cream to thicken it up, but you could try some vanilla/chocolate whey powder, a few berries, almond butter, water/almond milk, and some cinnamon. Pretty simple, and quick to make in the morning.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone for your responses....It seems like most of you use whey in your shakes. I was trying to avoid whey, but my question is in the past I have used Jay Robb or Elite Protein powder. Is there a more "pure" whey I should use? I think the other whey, including Jay Robb which is supposed to be very good and sweetened with stevia, has made me bloated. I don't do well with dairy - I'm wondering if whey in general is bad.

Let me know and thank you all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast