Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The consequences of eating Primal page

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member

The consequences of eating Primal

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I'm a critical Pagan. Living in harmony with nature (as much as living in a city allows me to do) and thanking mother nature for all that she is giving me... hence my following question popped up in my head...

Around this forum I see many people eating a lot of meat and eggs. Okay, I get it, that's what our ancestors use to eat. However back then there were a whole lot of less people walking around this earth. It was sustainable to eat all the meat you could because in ratio there were a lot more animals on the earth (and they had a lot more space to grow and reproduce)
    The second thing I notice is that everybody here is really enthusiastic about being primal and have converted a lot of people to primal. I find myself doing exactly the same thing.

However if so many people will convert to living primal and eat a lot of meat (a pound, 2 pounds a day) how long will the earth be able to sustain this... aren't there just too many people to feed without the grain production and industrialized foods?

Humanity is still expending and taking up space all around the world... yet we all want to eat grass-fed meat because it's better for us???

While health wise I know it's better to live primal... I just can't help but think about what an increase in meat intake from all of the converts will do to the world....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    where i live, alot of the land that has stock run on it wouldnt be able to have crops grown on it.

Myrtille is offline Member
    I have asked myself the same questions, did not find an answer. Sorry !

All I can say is :
    - I don't think primal eating is good for everybody. Some people do really fine with more carbs, even with a vegetarian diet.
    - Eggs are sustainable. Hens don't take so much room and produce quite a lot.
    - I am primal eat meat every day, but don't reach a pound most days.
    - Vegetables are important in the primal diet and I think they are better for the land than grains.
    - Modern agriculture leads to an ecological desaster with GMO and mono culture.
    - By eating farm meat and dairies, we do good for the agricultural economy.

But you're right, not enough for every body. Maybe if we get rid of packaging, prepared meal, chemical fertilizer factories ; And big supermarkets selling crap, we would have more room for beef to eat good grass !

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Pastorialism is actually really great for the environment and very much possible if more people are eating nose-to-tail, using broths/etc.

I mean, in all truth, I do not eat that much meat. I do eat a fair amount of eggs (21/wk on average, myself), but I mostly eat (by volume) seasonal veg and fruit. And a fair amount of fat from plant and animal sources.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    Okay, I'm a critical Pagan. Living in harmony with nature (as much as living in a city allows me to do) and thanking mother nature for all that she is giving me... hence my following question popped up in my head...

Around this forum I see many people eating a lot of meat and eggs. Okay, I get it, that's what our ancestors use to eat. However back then there were a whole lot of less people walking around this earth. It was sustainable to eat all the meat you could because in ratio there were a lot more animals on the earth (and they had a lot more space to grow and reproduce)
    The second thing I notice is that everybody here is really enthusiastic about being primal and have converted a lot of people to primal. I find myself doing exactly the same thing.

However if so many people will convert to living primal and eat a lot of meat (a pound, 2 pounds a day) how long will the earth be able to sustain this... aren't there just too many people to feed without the grain production and industrialized foods?

Humanity is still expending and taking up space all around the world... yet we all want to eat grass-fed meat because it's better for us???

While health wise I know it's better to live primal... I just can't help but think about what an increase in meat intake from all of the converts will do to the world....
    Hello, I don't think you should worry too much. Being primal is more than eating meat everyday, I would even say that the latter habit is not primal. Fasting and living off tubers, roots, fruits and even nuts to some extent is much more primal than 1kg of meat / day. A week-end meat party is more like it. Shellfish and fish, bugs, etc, on a daily basis, that's more like it. Things like pemmican, or traditionally processed meat / fat / berries for days without much hunted meat to feast on is the thing. If one thinks that being primal is going to the local farm or supermarket in order to buy tons of red meat, maybe this person has misunderstood something ... Just my opinion, you can disagree.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I don't think this is going to be much of a worry. A vast majority of Americans at least, are so locked into the CW/SAD way of eating that on a per person basis, we likely don't consume any more meat overall as our ancestors did.

Besides, the CW/SAD following people will die off sooner than the primal people and will stop consuming anything at that point. Maybe that will balance it out.

Also with the synthetic meats coming out, the CW/SAD people will reduce eating real meat and will consume the synthetic meat along with their other synthetic/processed foods.

Natural selection at work as far as I'm concerned.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    I love all the reactions...

French, I love your reaction. You are such an open and honest person and right. I think it's because I'm such a meat eater myself that I see only that part of the diet at the moment... Of course daily meat was never a gauranty with early human... hmmm... but what to eat than??? I really don't like veggies and fruits that much...

Texas, aaaah a Grok to my heart. you made me smile with your reaction. Yes, Natural selection... I love that. Synthetic food is being sold here at a food festival for the first time, why I like the idea of not having to slaughter animals for food I'm totally not sure about the healthy aspect of fake meat...

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I love all the reactions...

French, I love your reaction. You are such an open and honest person and right. I think it's because I'm such a meat eater myself that I see only that part of the diet at the moment... Of course daily meat was never a gauranty with early human... hmmm... but what to eat than??? I really don't like veggies and fruits that much...
    Yeah, I like meat too and am not super keen on veggies (real veggies I mean, not fruits "pretending" to be veggies like tomatoes, avocados, cucumber, etc). But see, good quality meat is really expensive so I go for organs which I like a lot, they are more nutritious than muscle meat, and I don't need to eat them every day + they are much cheaper. In-between, I do quite a lot of dairy (preferably fermented) and fruits / tubers / roots / fish (sardines, mackerel, cod, halibut, trout, etc). Like yesterday evening, I just did not feel like cooking, I had a late lunch with 3 mackerel fillets, butternut squash, potato cubes and red pepper-fruits sauteed in butter, garlic and onions, fresh tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella, cucumbers, etc. So I ended up cutting a big amount of regular fruits (apples, bananas, kiwis, plums) and mixed them up with full fat sheep yogurt and a touch of vanilla. I added some xylitol (NOT primal huh!) to add some prebiotic and sweetness to the mix and I shared that with my kids. I had already prepared some salty buckwheat pancakes the day before (called "galettes" in French) and had prepared "hot-dogs" by spreading some home-made red pesto and a beef sausage for the kiddies. So I just ended up having a dinner of fruits and delicious full fat sheep yogurt: no meat for me that day, no problem feeling full.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    I don't think this is going to be much of a worry. A vast majority of Americans at least, are so locked into the CW/SAD way of eating that on a per person basis, we likely don't consume any more meat overall as our ancestors did.

Besides, the CW/SAD following people will die off sooner than the primal people and will stop consuming anything at that point. Maybe that will balance it out.

Also with the synthetic meats coming out, the CW/SAD people will reduce eating real meat and will consume the synthetic meat along with their other synthetic/processed foods.

Natural selection at work as far as I'm concerned.
    Bollocks.
    Few but ripe.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    China's meat consumption doubled between 1990 and 2002. And they are still an "emerging economy".
    And count in all those young Indians wanting to live a western life style.

It s going to be a pure shit show. Literally indeed. What are you going to do with just the shit produced by tens of billions of these land animals every year?

All of this for what? some idiot can lift 50 lbs more in squats, show a six pack and as some say here "be awesome"?
    Few but ripe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast