Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The consequences of eating Primal page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You have been propagandized by the evil ones. Check out the writings of Joel Salatin and his ilk for the truth on what really is going to leave this planet to starve. Or maybe more correctly, how non-CAFO food production may very well be our salvation.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You have been propagandized by the evil ones. Check out the writings of Joel Salatin and his ilk for the truth on what really is going to leave this planet to starve. Or maybe more correctly, how non-CAFO food production may very well be our salvation.

resources to feed humans + resources to feed the moving population of human farmed animals > resources to feed humans

This identity is as clear as the energy conservation law. Are there any second order effects I am missing? Unless the cattle are GMOed such that they can grow on negative calories.

Not to mention the huge karmic deficit. I give in there. May be that is an opinion not universally shared.
    Few but ripe.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Bollocks.
    Yea! I can dream can't I?
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    resources to feed humans + resources to feed the moving population of human farmed animals > resources to feed humans

This identity is as clear as the energy conservation law. Are there any second order effects I am missing? Unless the cattle are GMOed such that they can grow on negative calories.

Not to mention the huge karmic deficit. I give in there. May be that is an opinion not universally shared.
    Again brainwashed. You did not look up Joe Salatin, did you.

Seriously, if you want to live in harmony with nature you will live your true nature.

Feeding the humans with grains grains and more grains has CREATED the population problem, not solved it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Yea! I can dream can't I?
    I'll dream along with you...

However, primal or not there will be a point that the earth can no longer sustain humanity in their food demand.
    We are all waiting for the ax to drop, Mother Nature will strike back at some point.

It's a worry, it's a part of the thing that causes me to question if I should do it to a child to place it on this earth...

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    The idea that India and China becoming more American in their tastes, leading to catastrophe, is a fallacy. It is a very simple, perfect, and totally incorrect progression. Here is why:

Because a strange thing happens when you take a finite thing (meat production), add in long distances to transport it (these countries produce a tiny fraction of their consumption), and growing demand....

Prices go through the roof.

As this happens, as it already has begun to, the more traditional Chinese, Indian, Brazillian, etc, foods of a given country will heavily undercut the sale of beef and pork. Meat of "American" style will become something of a status symbol for the wealthy, and this changes the consumption equation.

Secondly, we are in absolutely no danger of the world's eating habits becoming "too paleo". This implies meat that is naturally-raised, lived well (and shortly), and is then eaten head to tail. For example, my neighbor has two cows that will be slaughtered on Nov 4. Both are only 4 years old, have lived on pasture their entire lives, calved, and will be leaving us soon. We will be using the hide for blankets and rugs, eating all but the gut organs which will go as dog food, and will be feeding about 8 people for over a year.

This is the future....not a way to further create efficiencies into a centralized system, but a gradual DE-centralization of food and meat production. Transport prices will necessitate it, and those that insist on STAYING centralized should get used to paying a king's ransom for beef or pork. This includes parts of the US that only know how to consume meat, and produce very little. The same is true for whole countries. The theme will be the same for the next few decades: Make it close to home or be ready to pay out the nose for it. Period.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    This is just a general thought, not directed at the OP or anyone in particular, but if you REALLY wanted to reduce "over population", feel free to make the sacrifice...
    I doing my part for the Earth by eating those horrid, evil cows who are filing our air with methane.
    Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Again brainwashed. You did not look up Joe Salatin, did you.

Seriously, if you want to live in harmony with nature you will live your true nature.

Feeding the humans with grains grains and more grains has CREATED the population problem, not solved it.
    what is your true nature? killing cows and pigs so that you can eat something tasty and supposedly nutritious? or you kill just because you can?
    why do you assume meat ought to be replaced with mountains of grains? is that the best you personally can do with your diet?

you know we also evolved a "reasoning ability" and an ability to feel "compassion" along the way. do you know we even have conventions to treat prisoners of war with dignity (how did our true nature get us this far?) and not execute/torture just because we can (and is probably more economical to dispose them off quickly)? not every thing needs to be evaluated on pure economics (e.g. slavery, oppression, invasions).
    Last edited by 70in2012; 09-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I doing my part for the Earth by eating those horrid, evil cows who are filing our air with methane.
    Just sayin'
    Good thoughts, but misplaced. Since you are eating, they are also force bred, farmed billions every year.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    The idea that India and China becoming more American in their tastes, leading to catastrophe, is a fallacy. It is a very simple, perfect, and totally incorrect progression. Here is why:

Because a strange thing happens when you take a finite thing (meat production), add in long distances to transport it (these countries produce a tiny fraction of their consumption), and growing demand....
    I agree with the part that prices help adjust supply and demand and that businesses will adjust the way they operate to make most profits (local supply vs transporting over long distances). That could also mean that transporting is more efficient price wise for some (lets see if some locally produced pork can compete with something imported from China!).

However, there is not doubt that aggregate meat demand, absent a significant change in people's eating habits, is set to go only one way. That is up. Hundreds of millions are moving up the wealth ladder in the emerging economies. What was once used to be a festival or special occasions food, is becoming once, twice or more a week affair.

My question is more fundamental. Why? Why do you need to eat so much meat? Americans in 2012 consumed more than 270 lbs of meat per head per year. That's a lot! No?
    Few but ripe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast