Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is too much protein bad for weight loss? page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Is too much protein bad for weight loss?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As the thread title says, will to much protein be bad for losing weight? My ratios yesterday were 70% fat, 29% protein and 1%carbs. I had about 2,200 calories (I'll probably start eating more, as I still felt hungry eating this much). According to fitday I ate 151 grams of protein! Is this to much? I'm a girl, (5'5, 'bout 140 lbs.) in case my username didn't give you any hints, but I enjoy exercise, and on any day I might walk up to 9 miles (I have a ridiculous amount of free time, and I don't like to sit down for too long), and I lift weight 3 times a week, along with some random intervals of cardio, although not for any extended amounts of time, as I'd rather saw my legs off with a rusty fork than run for more than 10 minutes at any given time.

This is pretty much how I eat every day, although my fat to protein may fluctuate a little bit depending on what kind of meat I ate that day. Today I had a bunch of skinless chicken breast, so It will likely be even more protein XD

But what do you guys think? Is it time to start eating plain egg yolks, or am I fine where I'm at?

EDIT: Emmie, I'm not worried about being above calories. I have a speedy metabolism
    I actually want to eat MORE calories. I can lose 2 lbs a week on a CW high carb, 1,800 calorie diet, and before PB, I probably ate something like 2,200 (I regularly consumed over 3,000 calories, I believe) of pop-tarts and potato chips, and I wasn't overweight, although I could have stood to lose some fat/gain muscle. Which I am currently accomplishing ^.^ I've hovered around 140 lbs now since I was 12, which is also when I stopped growing taller.

Also, thanks for the responses, guys. I'll try and adjust my protein intake a bit, and raise the fat.

Double edit: Holy cow, I've eaten 3,000 calories today (And am still kinda hungry) XD My percentages are about 30 percent protein and 70 percent fat, but I've had over 200 grams of protein :O
    I really hope this isn't going to set me back. I'm not worried about calories, though. I am currently finding it impossible to gain weight eating only 5ish carbs a day. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep my calories high enough to satiate my big appetite, and still keep my protein down to 100. It seems like I'd have to start eating tubs of plain butter and chugging olive oil straight to accomplish this. Any tips? Please? I've eaten so much, and I still feel like I could eat more, but all the tasty food has protein, and I already have eaten enough of that to satisfy even the biggest of weight lifters. HELP ME STOP EATING THE PROTEIN LEVELS OF COMPETITIVE BODY BUILDERS, AND YET STILL STAY FULL, MY FELLOW FORUMS GOERS! It's difficult to eat over 3,000 calories and keep protein down to 100

Or does it matter, even? My percentages themselves seem acceptable, they're just sort of in...large quantities. I refuse to eat less. I cannot live off of 2,000 calories, no matter what any stupid BMR charts say >:U
    Last edited by Beefsister; 06-06-2010 at 11:15 PM.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    No, that's fine, plus, protein as a thermogenic effect i think, it takes calories to digest it, and it also satiates you very well, especially when you eat it with fat. Your diet sounds solid.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I'd be inclined to drop your protein down to about 100g assuming that you are active. I believe it can prevent weight loss in some people. Generally go for about 1g per kg of lean body weight, perhaps more if you are very active.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    yeah, no more than 1 gram per lbs of weight
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Lyle says that it can indeed. I'm kind of inclined towards that belief myself.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Too much of anything can inhibit weight loss! The body will convert to fat anything above its energy needs. If you find yourself not losing, I'd lower the protein because your requirement is probably closer to 100g.
    Last edited by emmie; 06-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Too much of anything can inhibit weight loss! The body will convert to fat anything above its energy needs.
    I don't think protein can be converted into fat... otherwise there wouldn't be such thing as the rabbit starvation. That being said, I don't think it can be converted into glucose very efficiently either.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Protein gets converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis and when faced with excess protein, a bunch of it is bound to end up as glucose which is going to be the equivalent to simply eating carbs. That's how a 0 carb diet works when about 25% of the brain still needs glucose in ketosis. Either that or it gets synthesized from glycerol left over from fat we eat, but to a lesser extend than the protein.

In Jimmy Moore's inteview with Ron Rosdale he mentioned that his weight loss plan is adequate protein and high fat because compared with fat it is detrimental to those with some degree of insulin/leptin resistance. Dr. Eades started out as a proponent of more protein and then decreased his recommendation but kept the name since "Lard Power" isn't as attractive. In the absence of any carbs at all I'm not sure how it all works out but that's a good rationale for foregoing fat for protein. Not to mention amino acids elicit an insulin response themselves and if there's gluconeogenesis going on and a bit of hyperglycemia that can pose problems.

Griff would be a good guy to ask about this, he was mentioning something about being stalled and lowering his protein.

30% doesn't seem like too too much to me. How's the omega 3:6 ratio, general nutrition, sleep quality and stress level?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    I'm on my summer break, so I pretty much get to sleep how ever long I feel like it. I have virtually no stress in my life except for being dive bombed by nesting birds during my walks

I believe I am getting adequate nutrition. I'm not eating any veggies at the moment, but certainly plan on it once I reach my goal weight. Omega 3 to 6 is probably decent. My family would have trouble affording grass fed meat, but I do get my mom to buy omega 3 eggs. I mostly have to deal with generic, conventional meat, however. I live in an area literally surrounded by farms, and the entire area is pretty rural, so I could probably locate a place with good, cheap, local meat if I looked around.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If your only source is eggs then it's definitely not very good. Even if the animals you eat are raised well it's still probably not going to be that great. Chicken and pork are never going to have a very good ratio and the best you can expect from beef is close to .5:1, however beef doesn't have much omega 3 or 6 so it's not going to make up for all the other omega 6 you're getting. Humans evolved on a lot of fish and definitely ate animal brains and I can almost guarantee that your tissue concentrations are leaning in favor of omega 6 if you're trying to drop some fat. So it may be a good idea to eat a good deal of oily fish or take some fish oil.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast