Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu Shot page

AbbyCK is offline Member

Flu Shot

Shop Now
    Hey Everyone,

What is your opinion of the flu shot? I have some friends who always get it... and then others who will not due to bad experiences.

Specifically, my friend ended up in the ER two days after the flu shot with severe chest pain and loss of sensation on one side of her body. Now, today A. is in the ER... two days after the flu shot.... with the worst headache of his life.

Coincidence? I wanted to get the primal community's take.

Thanks!

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I don't take any of the following:

• Vaccinations
    • Over the counter medication
    • Prescription medications
    • I don't have 'regular checkups"

I shun almost everything that modern medicine has to offer and, I don't get sick!

I should predicate this by saying that most of my work has been overseas in developing countries. I eat from roadside food places often, drink the water on hand, travel in airplanes with recirculated air and germ producing passengers.

I'm a firm believe in the "hygiene hypothesis".

Now there is a place for modern medicine. Acute medical care, such as trauma care, is needed. You won't heal compound fracture with good diet and herbs.

But most of modern medicine is focused on treating pre-diseases and it is done with chemicals (prescription and OTC drugs), medical procedures, etc.....all high-profit of course.

However, that is just me. Your mileage may very.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I take them because my cardiologist demands it off me. He says the risk of getting the flu are worse than issues with the shot.

However I am really suspicious of vaccinations. The flu-shot always makes me sick for a few days and I'm pretty damn sure that my heart issues were caused by a bad hepatitis shot.

My advise (and believe me I have researched this extensively)
    If you don't have any issues with your health right now, don't take the shot. Only take them when you are at greater risk of a flu killing you (like elderly and chronical sick)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    we dont do vaccines.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's really your decision based on your research and your thoughts about it.

we do not get the flu vaccine. we never have, and unless there's a very compelling reason to do so, we probably won't. DS has had one vaccine on the schedule: DTaP due to what I perceived to be a real risk.

like texas.grok, we also don't do over the counter medications (no need), and we don't have any prescriptions (no need), and while we do get regular check ups, it's generally just preventative. We get physicals every 2 years; gyn exam every 3rd year. It's only dental that I do every year (one dental, two cleanings). I'm also considering some laser-dermatology work in the coming years, but otherwise, it is basically healthy eating, lots of sleep, good water, and exercise.

yup. keeping healthy.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Haha there are literally thousands of flu strains in societal circulation at any one time. The drug manufacturers take only a few of these strains and make a vaccine from them, this process takes about 6 months. So you are vaccinating yourself against less than 10 strains that where from a different part of the country/world that where active last flu season.

Not very effective if you ask me. Especially when you consider all the preservatives and foreign substrates that come with a basically useless injection

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    There are some segments of the population that it might make sense for them to take the flu shot... the elderly, the very young and those with an impaired immune system, as those segments are the ones most likely to suffer adverse effects (i.e. death) from the infection. People with a healthy immune system are less likely to have a bad out come from the flu....

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I might ad that my boyfriend works for a company who develops tests for vaccines. My distrust of them isn't helping his job...

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I get free flu shots at work so i get them sometimes and I've never had an adverse reaction but I'm also not sure it's actually done anything for me the years I've taken it.

The flu vaccine is of limited use because they are really guessing what strains will be going around. I forget what the probability is but it's midrange I think.

I think vaccines in general though (mmr, smallpox, polio etc) have been a huge public health success. And the flu can very deadly in certain population or with a virulent strain (1918).
    Last edited by lea; 09-23-2013 at 05:43 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Haha there are literally thousands of flu strains in societal circulation at any one time. The drug manufacturers take only a few of these strains and make a vaccine from them, this process takes about 6 months. So you are vaccinating yourself against less than 10 strains that where from a different part of the country/world that where active last flu season.

Not very effective if you ask me. Especially when you consider all the preservatives and foreign substrates that come with a basically useless injection

Sent from my iPhone
    This is why I don't bother with them, either. "Flu" isn't a thing, it's a lot of things.

M.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast