Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: please help me... it's my hair page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

please help me... it's my hair

Primal Fuel
    I started eating Primal last spring. I have never been much of a fruit eater and so my carb levels were really low. I often had to eat avocados just to get to 50 carbs per day. I was enjoying the IF'ing too. I would often go without eating for long periods and would thrive. My skin and eyes are clear, bright and glowing. I really thought this was my pathway to health. Then all of a sudden my hair started coming out in clumps in the shower. When I brush it, it sheds all over the place. Right now, I am to the point where I am pulling my hair back in a bun everyday because I am so embarrassed by the condition of my stringy hair :*(

Does this undoubtedly mean I have a thyroid problem?

Last fall, pre-primal, I saw my regular doctor and blood tests showed a normal thyroid level. Now, desperate to do something to fix my hair, I started taking a 1/3 bit of an Iodoral pill daily. But what if I don't even have a thyroid problem? I don't know what to do. There is so much conflicting and scary information on the web regarding iodine that I can't even begin to sort through it all.

I am really in a pit.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    hi julie,

i too have/am experiencing this and think there are a host of things that contribute. Without trying to sound trite or blase, I'd say the best thing you can do right this second is take a big breath. Stress about and around this frightening symptom is only going to aggravate your cortisol.

be ready; people are going to ask you: what are your macros, iron, calories, a whole day of food breakdown and hormones. There are alot of informed folks who can speak more specifically to this so...take a breath. And I'm right there with you, trying to figure it out!

FWIW, I've noticed I was super-deficient in protein (even by minimum standards), was low on iron and probably had exacerbated my cortisol levels horribly. Also wasn't keeping an eye on my Omega 3's as I used to, nor was I getting solid iodine (I take kelp powder now). All of these things coupled w/ high stress for a couple years can make for the perfect storm.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Sending a huge hug... it feels so good to hear from someone who has been there. Thanks for the info.

How long has it been for you and how is your hair now?

Some extra info about me:

5' 4.5" 120 lbs

Macros:
    FAT- 67%
    Protein- 20%
    Carbs- 13%

IRON: I do not have levels but last fall (pre-primal) they were just barely on the low side of normal.

Calories: Weekdays I ate around 1200 calories. Friday evenings are date nights with husband where cocktails and excessive calories are always involved.

Hormones? Not sure how to answer this. I can tell you I've always been very regular but since Primal my periods are 2-3 weeks late.

I run 3-4 miles 4 or 5 days a week and resistance training 2-3 days.

I usually drink 3 cups of coffee a day.
    Last edited by JulieRUNS; 09-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Eat more. Especially liver. Aim for 3000 calories if you are actually, truly, somehow running this much. Run less.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-22-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Iron might be low. Eat more red meat. You are also eating wayyy too few calories. Hair and etc could suffer if your body has zero calories to maintain itself. Running 4-5mi probably burns... 500 cals? You should be eating closer to 1500-1600.

Get your thyroid & iron levels checked. Better to come back to this forum with definitive test results...
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I have iron-deficiency anemia and have been losing hair the same way you describe ever since. Do a thorough hormone and metabolic panel. You don't want to guess what's going on. Zone in on what it is to properly correct it. In the meantime, eat a diet that supports thyroid health.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Eat liver, shellfish and more carbs.
    I have gone through this and I understand the worries. Severe hairloss like that is usually a sign that there is some kind of stress going on inside our bodies. Undereating or consistently eating low-carb for prolonged amount of time are without a doubt stressors. Without meaning to sound harsh, you appear to have been doing both.
    In this situation I would seriously consider increasing carbs (that's what I did).

Having your hormones checked is a good idea too.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Iron might be low. Eat more red meat. You are also eating wayyy too few calories. Hair and etc could suffer if your body has zero calories to maintain itself. Running 4-5mi probably burns... 500 cals? You should be eating closer to 1500-1600.

Get your thyroid & iron levels checked. Better to come back to this forum with definitive test results...
    This. A friend has this problem recently and she was severely anemic and after talking to her I think she was eating too little in general. Check those things.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Some extra info about me:

5' 4.5" 120 lbs

Macros:
    FAT- 67%
    Protein- 20%
    Carbs- 13%

IRON: I do not have levels but last fall (pre-primal) they were just barely on the low side of normal.

Calories: Weekdays I ate around 1200 calories. Friday evenings are date nights with husband where cocktails and excessive calories are always involved.

Hormones? Not sure how to answer this. I can tell you I've always been very regular but since Primal my periods are 2-3 weeks late.

I run 3-4 miles 4 or 5 days a week and resistance training 2-3 days.

I usually drink 3 cups of coffee a day.
    *whistles* Everyone had already said, but I'll add my voice... 1,200 calories is WAY too low. Even if you were completely sedentary that would be low. If you're running and training on top of it, you're starving yourself. If you don't like fruits I would recommend potatoes and white rice. For that kind of exertion you could use more carbs. Red meat would be great too. Good luck!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast