Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Activities for PB'ers? page

wattfood is offline Member

Gym Activities for PB'ers?

Primal Fuel
    hi all

so i still have around 6 months to go on my gym contract and it is close to work for me so if i can still utilize something i have to pay for that will be a bonus. my question is...

- what gym activities can i do that are as close to PB recommendations as possible?

off the top of my head i am thinking..

- brisk walking on the treadmill - 30mins?
    - steady pace rowing - 15mins?
    - moderate level weight lifting - 10 reps x 3 sets?
    - squats with or without dumbells for added weight?
    - dead lifts?
    - machine assisted pull ups?

thank you!
    Claire

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength. Buy the book. Keep the gym membership. Lifting heavy things is one of the PB laws. Otherwise, walk outside if you can as much as your schedule permits, preferably somewhere outdoors with fresh air and some trees. And sprint occasionally, but you can hold off on that until you've acclimated to the progressive resistance provided by the SS program.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, do real barbell weights. I am a 48-year-old woman and I do barbells. The most I've ever squatted so far is 140 (I weigh 135.) The most I've ever deadlifted is 165. My groceries weigh more than the dumbbells most women I see lift. Also, use the exercise bike for your sprints. It's easier than running because you won't trip and fall.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, do real barbell weights. I am a 48-year-old woman and I do barbells. The most I've ever squatted so far is 140 (I weigh 135.) The most I've ever deadlifted is 165. My groceries weigh more than the dumbbells most women I see lift. Also, use the exercise bike for your sprints. It's easier than running because you won't trip and fall.
    Good point on the exercise bike. Easier on the joints too.

wattfood is offline Member
    how many squats are you doing at that weight?
    at the moment i am squating with a barbell of about 66lbs and i do 10 to 14 reps for 3 sets
    pretty much the same for dead lifting too.

i dont mind doing the treadmill for sprinting, i just put about a 30sec sprint into every 4 to 5 mins of brisk walking... sound okay?
    i also love the cross trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by wattfood View Post
    how many squats are you doing at that weight?
    at the moment i am squating with a barbell of about 66lbs and i do 10 to 14 reps for 3 sets
    pretty much the same for dead lifting too.

i dont mind doing the treadmill for sprinting, i just put about a 30sec sprint into every 4 to 5 mins of brisk walking... sound okay?
    i also love the cross trainer.
    Doesn't sound like it's heavy if you're lifting it 10-14 times. Sets of <5 are great for stimulating strength gains. Sets of >5 are better for stimulating hypertrophy gains. Since each reinforces the ability to make gains in the other, sets of 5 are really highly recommended.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    - brisk walking on the treadmill - 30mins?
    stick it on a hill program if you do use a treadmill.

if you are squatting or doing any other movement, make sure you do the full ROM. i pretty much just deadlift and do good mornings with the barbell. i use dumbbells alot too for things like walking lunges, benchpress, OH split squats and so on. machines i generally use the leg press for single leg presses and the cable machines for flys and cable cross overs and the like. ooh and not forgetting stiff arm pushdowns!

+1 on the exercise bike for sprints. altho you can do them on the rower too or the cross trainer.

re:machine assisted pullups. i have always been told the machines dont help you do a pull up. our gym doesnt have an assisted pull up machine so i never tested the theory. we do have a pullup bar and i started doing static hangs at the top position and controlled negatives and then plyo pull ups.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I can only do one squat and 3 deadlifts. Who cares?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I can only do one squat and 3 deadlifts. Who cares?

Get a lighter bar. You'll see better progress if you start at a weight you can handle for 3 sets of 5 and add weight, even if it's in tiny increments (1 lb or even less) every workout.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Get a lighter bar. You'll see better progress if you start at a weight you can handle for 3 sets of 5 and add weight, even if it's in tiny increments (1 lb or even less) every workout.
    Okay I'll try it. I sort of liked hefting one weight (and looking cute doing it).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast