Thread: Squat Myths page

SupermanRedSun is offline Junior Member

Squat Myths

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Squat Myths - Scooby's Home Workouts

I know there are going to be some people here who are going to roll their eyes at this but I was looking on-line and found this about squats on Scooby's website.

In my never ending battle to ensure no long term injuries I'm trying to find out if squats are good or bad for you. Any scientific studies about it on either side of the argument are always welcomed because lets be honest that's the one that proves it right or wrong.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Agree and disagree.

1) Everyone does have to do squats. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, I agree. And yes, people with back issues should either not do them or do them carefully as to not aggravate the issue. 100% agree.

2) Honestly, I disagree but this is semantics. There is no substitute for squatting in the sense that one exercise will be as effective. You would have to do multiple exercises to get the benefits you would be getting from squatting. Which is fine, if that's what you prefer and you can certainly do it even without a leg press (One leg squats, jumps, etc.). But no, there is not another exercise that covers as much ground in one movement. That includes front and overhead squats, which one can argue are more beneficial that back squats due to the need to keep the body more upright. Elliot Hulse has a good video one this that I agree with. Both will expose your weaknesses immediately.

3) Disagree. Leg Press is not as effective as squatting in the sense that the benefits from one movement (balance, full body recruitment, range of motion, the benefits of learning to actually to a squat which no one seems to be able to do). The leg press in combination with other movements is perfectly fine and will lead to strength an muscle gains. But no, it is not a superior movment. No machine movement is. I would tell some one to do Double Kettlebell Front Squats first.

4) Totally agree. The whole growth hormone/testosterone thing is overplayed.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You want science? I got your science right here: Starting Strength

Seriously though. If you want to be strong, and you can squat, you have to squat. Below parallel. With progressive overload and respect to Selye's General Adaptation Theory.

If you have back and knee problems, properly performed squats are the best way to actually correct them. Your body will adapt to the stimuli it receives, and will not adapt to stimuli that it is denied.

If you want to be a bodybuilder, listen to Scooby, but his silly lines about us being designed to be horizontal like a horse is evidence that he's not really entitled to an opinion in a discussion of biomechanics. Yeah, he's a swole dude. That doesn't make him an expert.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    There's a reason that Scooby always shoots his videos above the waist.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You want science? I got your science right here: Starting Strength

Seriously though. If you want to be strong, and you can squat, you have to squat. Below parallel. With progressive overload and respect to Selye's General Adaptation Theory.

If you have back and knee problems, properly performed squats are the best way to actually correct them. Your body will adapt to the stimuli it receives, and will not adapt to stimuli that it is denied.

If you want to be a bodybuilder, listen to Scooby, but his silly lines about us being designed to be horizontal like a horse is evidence that he's not really entitled to an opinion in a discussion of biomechanics. Yeah, he's a swole dude. That doesn't make him an expert.
    I do agree with the last part. Designed like horses? Um no. I've corrected back problems with belted front squats on a few occasions.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Squats makes people look like Uncle Donald and makes them stupid too! Just kidding, squat is a great exercise if you are built for them, but they are far from a “must” so Scooby is right about that. He forgot to mention that tall people with long femurs usually do not very well on squats and could replace them for leg press instead…

AtomicSuperMen is offline Junior Member
    I'm beginning to give up on the human body in general. It seems that just about everything is bad for us and can/will kill us!

Zach is offline Banned
    Whoever Scooby is, he needs PCT.