Thread: Supplement Opinions Wanted page

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member

Supplement Opinions Wanted

Shop Now
    So, I've been primal for about 6 months or more, and I recently started to go all organic, or as organic as possible. Some meats aren't available, or are way too expensive for me. Also, even the organic options of some foods can lack nutrients depending on soil quality, as we know. So to make up for nutrients and maybe save some money (I still will buy as organic as possible, and maybe even invest more money in to the meats over time), I am starting to look into the supplements Mark offers. I want the Omegas, and I am trying to decide between the Damage Control and Advanced Health. Obviously the cost savings are apparent, but at what cost? The description says the Advanced Health lacks the expensive ingredients and tones down some of the dosages, but is this really a substantial deficit in nutrients? I'll most likely go with Advanced Health, but I wanted to know everyone's opinion. Also thinking about Primal Flora, because if I'm supplementing omegas, vits/minerals, why not add in gut flora too? I'm not sure if the flora is really necessary though with all the vit/min supplements though, since the essential kit offers only Vit D, omegas, and flora. Perhaps the essential kit doesn't throw in advanced health/damage control because the flora makes up in some areas? Open to all opinions!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I personally don't buy any supplements from Mark.

I supplement Potassium Iodide, Magnesium (+ Selenium from a Brazil nut) and Vitamin D3.

And we try to have lactofermented things like Kombucha as well, but I think of that as a 'for pleasure' thing the same as consuming animals.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Probiotics = fermented foods. Eat that shit like candy.

Selenium supplements are a waste of money. So are Brazil nuts (if that's the only reason you eat them that is). You'll be getting plenty of selenium from your meats, eggs, and dairy (if you swing that way).

Iodine = good ATLANTIC sourced seaweed (Pacific seaweed can potentially be radioactive due to several recent incidents).

Top three for me?

1) Magnesium citrate oil. Spray on skin, rub in. No exact dosage, just do LOTS of this to get your magnesium.
    2) Good vitamin D3 OIL (not pills) made with MCT oil or olive oil. Squirt under tongue, let it sit for three minutes, swallow. Dose as desired.
    3) Boron chelate pills. Boron is essential for proper utilization of vitamin D3 and calcium in your bones, plus it detoxes the toxic halides (fluorine, bromine, and chlorine) from your body. Take 3-9 mgs daily.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Drumroll, do you have sources to back up your opinions on selenium and boron? I've mostly read the opposite about selenium and never heard of supplementing boron.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Drumroll, do you have sources to back up your opinions on selenium and boron? I've mostly read the opposite about selenium and never heard of supplementing boron.
    Boron:

http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/e...hanKakongi.pdf
    Essentiality of boron for healthy bo... [Environ Health Perspect. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
    Boron supplement dosage, side effects
    http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/repr...ct05_Olree.pdf

Selenium is easy to get via regular diet. Yesterday I ate 250% of the RDA just in my meat and eggs alone according to Cronometer.com. If I added a Brazil nut to that on a daily basis I'd be in Selnium toxicity range.

Selenium toxicity:

Evaluating Selenium Poisoning
    JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Acute Selenium Toxicity Associated With a Dietary Supplement
    Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University (they list the upper tolerable intake of Selenium as 400 mcg a day to avoid toxicity and they list ounce Of Brazil nut as containing 500 mcg selenium. Hmmm...)
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Boron:

http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/e...hanKakongi.pdf
    Essentiality of boron for healthy bo... [Environ Health Perspect. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
    Boron supplement dosage, side effects
    http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/repr...ct05_Olree.pdf

Selenium is easy to get via regular diet. Yesterday I ate 250% of the RDA just in my meat and eggs alone according to Cronometer.com. If I added a Brazil nut to that on a daily basis I'd be in Selnium toxicity range.

Selenium toxicity:

Evaluating Selenium Poisoning
    JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Acute Selenium Toxicity Associated With a Dietary Supplement
    Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University (they list the upper tolerable intake of Selenium as 400 mcg a day to avoid toxicity and they list ounce Of Brazil nut as containing 500 mcg selenium. Hmmm...)
    Thanks. I'll check it out. Yeah, an ounce of Brazil nuts is a ton. I've heard recommendations of 2/day.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Yeah, an ounce of Brazil nuts is a ton. I've heard recommendations of 2/day.
    And ounce of Brazil nuts is only 4-6 nuts total depending on size.

And ounce of Brazil nuts is only 4-6 nuts total depending on size.
    Yeah, I usually see an estimate of around 100mcg/nut, so that jives approximately.

Yeah, I usually see an estimate of around 100mcg/nut, so that jives approximately.
    I got 300 mcg of selenium from my diet the other day when I had seafood for dinner. Two Brazil nuts as "suggested" sup puts me toxicity range.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just a thought.

I got 300 mcg of selenium from my diet the other day when I had seafood for dinner. Two Brazil nuts as "suggested" sup puts me toxicity range.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just a thought.
    Definitely food for thought.