Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take for thyroid meds to work? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

How long does it take for thyroid meds to work?

Shop Now
    I went off thyroid meds and I immediately gained weight, started sleeping in very late without meaning to, feeling very exhausted all the time. I started taking medication again but this time wanted to try out Armour thyroid. It has been about 3 weeks and am wondering how long it takes to kick in and restart my metabolism, as nothing has changed in my weight. I even started doing more exercise and eating even cleaner but nothing!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    It takes 6 weeks to have its full effect. You're doctor should have instructed you to come back for blood work at 6 weeks, then your dose can be adjusted if need be. Be patient, adjusting thyroid meds is a delicate process - and it can take 6 months to a year to get it right.

I started on Armour about year ago - I felt better after a couple months - but it did nothing for my weight.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Thyroid meds take around 6 weeks to reach full affect. That does not mean you will see an improvement in metabolism or weight in that time. It can take a some time and meds may need to be adjusted before things improve. The body needs time to heal and, IMO, trying to lose weight during the healing process is an exercise in frustration. Increasing exercise during the healing process may add more stress than the body needs.

When is your next blood test to see where your freeT4 and freeT3 are?

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I went off thyroid meds and I immediately gained weight, started sleeping in very late without meaning to, feeling very exhausted all the time. I started taking medication again but this time wanted to try out Armour thyroid. It has been about 3 weeks and am wondering how long it takes to kick in and restart my metabolism, as nothing has changed in my weight. I even started doing more exercise and eating even cleaner but nothing!
    I started on Armour 9 months ago. I'm taking something different now though. I noticed a drastic difference within a week but my T3 was super low to begin with. My dose was raised at 3 weeks. Around the same time I started a strenuous lifting program. That was a huge mistake! My adrenals crashed and I've been working to correct the thyroid/adrenal problem ever since. I'm just now starting to make progress.

With that being said, be careful with the exercise. My heavy lifting, running and sprinting have been traded for walking/jogging and shorter sessions of heavy weights (like 15 minutes) as that's all I can take.

What dose of Armour are you on? I know it takes 6 weeks as the others have said but, IMO I think you should at least notice a little more energy. When do you go back to your doctor?

I am going to do a blood test on tuesday for all of my levels. I am just frustrated because I have been on thyroid meds for 3 + years now, never had problems really with my weight and then the second I go off them for 4 weeks I gained 10 pounds in an instant. I just was hoping my body would quickly adapt back to the thyroid meds

I do notice better energy and I am not sleeping in so late anymore and feeling so drained. I am on 4 grain, he started me off on 2 1/4 grain and I have worked my way up. Prior to going off meds, I was taking a compounded medication of t3 at 160 and t4 at 200 mcg. That was the dose that worked for me before. Seems that I am on a higher dose of armour but havent noticed any negative side effects, so after this blood work I am going to see if I need to increase the dose or not

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    That's a lot of armour to be taking in the first 3 weeks! I had worked my way up to 4 grains of Naturethroid after 5 months and people acted like I was on a huge dose. You may have some kind of thyroid resistance. Have you had reverse T3 checked?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I do notice better energy and I am not sleeping in so late anymore and feeling so drained. I am on 4 grain, he started me off on 2 1/4 grain and I have worked my way up. Prior to going off meds, I was taking a compounded medication of t3 at 160 and t4 at 200 mcg. That was the dose that worked for me before. Seems that I am on a higher dose of armour but havent noticed any negative side effects, so after this blood work I am going to see if I need to increase the dose or not
    By "worked for me", what do you mean? What were your tests and results on that dose?

My reverse t3 is fine. I mean what worked for me, meant that both t4 an t3 were within range on my tests

I know it seems really high, I seem to feel fine on it though!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast