Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A world in which fat is forbidden... page

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member

A world in which fat is forbidden...

Primal Fuel
    Imagine our world in the future. Fat has been banned. The only cooking oils that you can find are fat-free cooking sprays and margarine. Eggs have been made cholestrol free, but even that makes the lady/man at the cash register give you a stern look. And a lecture on how you should have bought egg-substitudes. And how you shouldn't cook with margarine, because it still has some fat on. Because it your products have fat in them, you have to pay 30% tax extra. The meat on the shelves are all lean, and the most common meat is horse meat, with less than 2% fat. You get another lecture for buying beef and lamb ground beef. And another lecture, with a bit of worried sympathy, because you didn't get any carbs. Accompanying your plastic bag is a folder about CW, on how a "balanced" meal should be over 50% carbs, 35% of vegetables, 10% of protein and 5% of fat. You ignore it, with a shake of your head. Skinny fat people stare at you as you leave the grocery store.

You decide, feeling sad, that you'll never buy anything from the grocery story again. You drive to your local or nearest farmer's market and find out, to your horror, that they are required to make their meat as lean as possible. Anything above 10% fat cannot be sold and if it is, the entire market is at risk of getting a fee. Including the visitors. You try to pursuade a merchant to give you some lard, but all the lard is picked up every morning to be destroyed. You leave, feeling even more miserable.

On your way home, you pass a fitness centre specialized in cardio and an employer tries to convince you to join them. You decline, politely but saddened and see all the skinny fat people running at a pace that isn't walking but not a sprint either. You wince as you can hear their joints and muscle scream in your imagination, thinking to yourself: It doesn't have to be like this. There is another way! but books about Primal and Paleo eating have been banned. You suspect that there are a few left, safely hidden, but you've given your copies to the government because you have a family and you didn't want to be charged with hiding illegal goods.

You come home and see your wife massaging her feet with a pained frown on her face. You ask "What's wrong?" and almost recoil in shock as your wife tells you that one hour of cardio is obligatory at her office, or else she could lose her job. Now her joints hurt, and her muscles scream for a good sprint or two, but her personal trainer wouldn't allow her, because her heartbeat would get too high. She dreads going to work tomorrow, because the cardio is required for at least three work days.

You begin cooking dinner, using what little macademia nut oil you have left. You can't buy more, because the fat tax makes it too expensive, and the grocery store is going to dispose of them. You cook the tiny cuts of beef steak you bought, which is hardly enough to sustain your family. You realize that you'll have to start buying the lean meat. Together with the veggies it makes a meager meal, and your kids complain about being hungry half an hour after dinner. You hunt through your cabinets, squealing with joy when you find a 70% dark chocolate bar. You feel eternally grateful that chocolate hasn't been banned. Yet. Your kids scarf it down, and you feel somewhat sad that there isn't any left for you and your wife.

You get a call from your boss. She informs you that, at lunch time, all employers and employees are required to eat a "well-balanced" lunch consisting from carbs, veggies, fruit and a small amount of low-fat meat. You almost break out crying, and she stammers an apology, knowing that you are very passionate about Primal eating.

A week later, you and your wife have an arguement. You are gaining a wheat belly and your wife is packing on pounds like a bear preparing for hibernation. Your kids complain of feeling groggy, lethargic and getting chubby. You want to quit your job and take your family to the wild: you've heard of people migrating to Africa and Madagascar, where there are still tribes that live off the forest and the animals that live there.
    Your wife thinks that it's immoral and wrong, even though she agrees that it would be healthier. She thinks that it'll destroy your children's future. You give in and try to make the best of it, limiting your carb intake as much as possible. Your kids, though, eat bread every morning and a salad for lunch. Dinner is often some kind of starch, lean meat and cooked-to-mush-vegetables.

You manage it for three months. Your doctor has put you on cholestrol meds, and you've been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. You throw your meds away, kiss your kids and wife goodbye and tip-toe out of your house, with a bag filled with tools to make spears and bow-and-arrows. You catch the next plain to Africa. The next morning your wife finds a note at the kitchen table and weeps, burdened with the task to explain your kids that Daddy couldn't live like this, forced to eat food that made him feel bad. You have a hard time to convince your kids that the food they eat isn't poison, and hate that you're lying to them when you tell them that the bad effects will go away and that their bodies will get used to eating carbs. Technically, it's true, but you also know that those are signs of fading insulin resistance.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Did you enjoy the read? Did you gasp in horror and yell: "Dictatorship!!!" "Oppression!!". Yes, that's in the little story.

Of course, this is the absolute extreme example. I hope it'll never happen, but one can never be certain.

Now let's get to the point: What would you do? What would you do if/when fat is shunned and banned, through laws? When cardio and carb-laiden lunches are mandatory for you to keep your job?

Is it possible to find a way to get enough fat in? Or would you have to turn back to carbs for your health (meaning: Not getting into starvation mode, not losing muscles etc.)?

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Horse meat? Never happen. We are ridiculously sentimental about horses... Very amusing though.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Some thoughts:
    1. Hypothetically speaking, are fish, pork, butter and cream banned foods? What about cheese?
    2. Is it possible that because everybody else buys food you can buy fat in the petfood section?
    3. Are special interests allowed? For example, if you are a 'reenactment' person, is it possible for you to recreate authentic pemmican?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    You get a call from your boss. She informs you that, at lunch time, all employers and employees are required to eat a "well-balanced" lunch consisting from carbs, veggies, fruit and a small amount of low-fat meat. You almost break out crying, and she stammers an apology, knowing that you are very passionate about Primal eating.
    I'm happy to have fruit and veges and lean protein as a lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    A week later, you and your wife have an arguement. You are gaining a wheat belly and your wife is packing on pounds like a bear preparing for hibernation.
    Why are you gaining a wheat belly? None of the above restrictions require you to eat wheat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    i thot this already happened in the 80's?

of course, without the ban

anyone remember the book Fit or Fat by Covert Bailey?

THE FAT YOU EAT IS THE FAT YOU WEAR

idjiot

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Aw Derp. You are so cute.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I've looked better, you caught me on a bad hair day
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I've looked better, you caught me on a bad hair day
    I have seen your good/excellent hair.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    i thot this already happened in the 80's?

of course, without the ban

anyone remember the book Fit or Fat by Covert Bailey?

THE FAT YOU EAT IS THE FAT YOU WEAR

idjiot
    Technically, thats true.

Here we go.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast