Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great new book out! GRAIN BRAIN by Dr. David Perlmutter page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Great new book out! GRAIN BRAIN by Dr. David Perlmutter

Primal Fuel
    Very excited to see more educated docs out there.

A great resource. Am 1/2 way through reading it and will review it on my blog soon!

Here's the Amazon Kindle linkalso available in hardback, etc.)
    Amazon.com: Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers eBook: David Perlmutter, Kristin Loberg: Kindle Store

ConnorBryant is offline Member
    Awesome. Will be keen to check it out!
    The more research like this that comes out the better.
    http://learningthesteel.com/books

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbaconandeggs View Post
    Check out Dr. Perlmutter interviews on Robb Wolf's and Jimmy Moore's podcasts. Great stuff.
    Can't listen to Moore. Would rather stick burning matches in my ears.

I heard the Wolf interview and found it interesting when they were talking about a keto diet for athletes and the Dr. Basically told Wolf he didn't do it right, or long enough to become fully keto adapted.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

dahuojigg is offline Junior Member
    Perlmutter interviews on Robb Wolf's and Jimmy Moore's podcasts. Great stuff.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Hi Dragonfly,

Did you finish the book yet? Can't wait for your review. I need to add to my collection
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I heard the Wolf interview and found it interesting when they were talking about a keto diet for athletes and the Dr. Basically told Wolf he didn't do it right, or long enough to become fully keto adapted.
    Haha, yeah, I got the feeling that Dr. Perlmutter didn't know Robb's full story/history/depth of knowledge on biochemistry/physiology.

I liked the point that Robb made: It seems that it's not necessarily the case that a high carb diet alone causes brain dysfunction/disease (see Kitavans and other groups that eat high carb and are free of "diseases of civilization") but a low carb diet seems to have benefit after these diseases have manifested.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Really interesting, thanks for the heads up. Podcast was long and good. I wonder if he covers in his book what you can do if being low carb is keeping your weight too low. I have had to add back in potato and odd rice etc.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your location this might be a better option for a hard copy:
    http://www.bookdepository.com/search...arch=Find+book
    Last edited by Misabi; 09-27-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I'm about half done the book. I'm not sure about his ideas for a very low carb diet... he recommends 30-40 grams of carbs initially, then around 60 later. That seems awfully low to me. The information itself is quite interesting, I'll post an update when I'm finished.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I'm about half done the book. I'm not sure about his ideas for a very low carb diet... he recommends 30-40 grams of carbs initially, then around 60 later. That seems awfully low to me. The information itself is quite interesting, I'll post an update when I'm finished.
    I am so tempted to kindle it. but seems like nothing very new to us Paleo folks, and I agree, 60 would be the minimum I would need to not lose too much weight. I cut the carbs yesterday, felt better, but now down to 95. Seems soon as I lower my carb my weight goes down, even though I added a lot more fat. I am already convinced again........after seeing all the peat threads and adding back sugar.......... that no sugar is best for me.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast