Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great new book out! GRAIN BRAIN by Dr. David Perlmutter page 2

ConnorBryant is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Grains absolutely impact mental health, as the grain brain points out.
    Research has shown that. It leads to further addictions, cravings and lower willpower/discipline too.
    BOOKS for LEARNING THE STEEL | Learning The Steel

youtacolot is offline Member
    Dr. Perlmutter came across as very intelligent and well spoken in the podcast with Wolf. I read Grain Brain and he basically advocates Primal/Paleo but steers the boat towards very low carb. The Doc does a great job addressing the diet-heart hypothesis and showing why eating healthy saturated fats and cholesterol are good for brain function. His supplement recommendations are I think a little bit different from those in the Paleo Solution or Primal Blueprint. I was surprised in the Podcast when he recommended that Robb give up his sweet potato after intense exercise. Overall it is just great and surprising to see someone with so much mainstream credibility jump on board with this lifestyle approach.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I finished it. I enjoyed reading it and I liked the emphasis on brain health. I was not entirely thrilled with the diet part of the book, though. I think that his idea of 30-40 grams of carbs for the first month followed by 60 a day thereafter would be very difficult for most people to follow. Also, I think that some people just don't thrive on a ketogenic diet, which is what he seems to feel is ideal for everyone. And some of the foods he allows are things like amaranth and legumes. How can a person possibly make 30-40 grams of carbs a day eating beans? *shrugs* Still, it was a book worth reading. I won't be following his nutritional advice though.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I kindled it last night, read some, skimmed some so far. It pretty much sounds exactly the way I ate on the first few months if me starting PB. I was more strict then and had zero sugar and starchy carbs. I have never counted anything, but I must have clearly been very very low carb. I added starchy carb to keep my weight up as it was dropping too low. But I think I felt better on it. Not sure what I should do now.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

About the low carbs....I've done next to zero (only what trace amounts are found in meat) for long periods of time and have had nor problems at all.
    Took massive discipline to do but ended up giving me massive discipline in turn, as detailed.

Started reading the book now. Interesting so far. Lines up with some of the research I've done and that kinda filters trhough on site and book

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I find it to be pretty much low carb Primal, pretty much the strict version of what I already do.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

youtacolot is offline Member
    Looks like Chris Kresser doesn't buy the "Carbs cause alzheimer's"
    hypothesis Do Carbs Kill Your Brain?
    Although he agrees very low carb is therapeutic for it.

Barefoot Golfer is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

I read the book and found it to be very interesting. I absolutely love the push to eradicate gluten from the diet, and increase saturated fat and cholesterol. Not just that, he provides some great evidence, in a simple to understand way, that shows why we, in fact, require saturated fat and cholesterol to maintain homeostasis.

However, he does advocate for a VLC diet (<60g / day), which may not be best for everyone. Just because it is therapeutic for metabolically broken individuals, does it mean it is best for the general healthy primal/paleo community? Probably not. That being said the 300g /day SAD diet is clearly way too much, but then again we need to take into account carb type and individual exercise level and ability to digest starch. A great post by Chris Kresser came out today discussing this same thing.

Do Carbs Kill Your Brain?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post

I liked the point that Robb made: It seems that it's not necessarily the case that a high carb diet alone causes brain dysfunction/disease (see Kitavans and other groups that eat high carb and are free of "diseases of civilization") but a low carb diet seems to have benefit after these diseases have manifested.
    From what I see around here, this observation seems to hold somewhat for weight loss as well. Low carb primal seems great for overweight people who feel good and lose weight that way. Once people become normal weight again, then some issues develop (for some people). Healthy weight, active people don't talk about liking low carb nearly as much.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12