Thread: Never too old ... I hope page

durgawalker is offline Junior Member
    After much relocating and many years in Europe and Baja, I've landed in Licking, Missouri

Never too old ... I hope

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! I have a long history with low-carb (going back to the 90s), and I have no trouble eating this way. In fact, I love it! Fitness is the missing piece for me, and I need a lot of TLC in that area.

I'll be 62 at Christmas, and I'm a woman, so that tells you a lot right there. Over the last several years, without having changed the way I ate, I managed to gain back half of the 40 pounds I'd lost on a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet. It just won't come off again. I'm convinced now that the problem lies with lack of movement as much as with female age.

For the last few years, I've been working as a staff writer on a small-town newspaper--a job that's mote sedentary than I'd like it to be. In addition, I have a very temperamental back. I find that movements like the plank are not possible for me. I've solved this one by performing it against a wall, which seems to work. Other such movements I have to perform almost as isometrics. I do believe that, with time, my muscles will strengthen and my limitations will decrease.

So I'm taking up the 21-day PB challenge, as much to integrate movement as anything else. Are there any other oldies-but-goodies out there who are facing similar challenges? I'm here to get and give support!

Durga

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Durga, first of all you should be so proud of yourself to do this at your respectable age. My mom is 10 years younger and refuses to do anything to improve her health. so big thumbs up from me...

Now, of course it's never too late to start working out. Especially at your age it would be so good for your bones to do low impact muscle training. I would suggest swimming because of your back to start with. it's one of the best things to do if you are just starting to work out.
    Also if you downloaded Mark's fitness book you should try that weight training schedule. it starts at a level everybody can do. (I'm also at starting level)

After much relocating and many years in Europe and Baja, I've landed in Licking, Missouri
    Thank you to you both. The articles were very inspirational! And Marielle, thanks for your encouragement. It's nice to think of 61 as a "respectable age." :-)

I'm looking at the PB fitness book as we speak. I'm going to pull out all the pages relating to novices and see where I can start. I find the weekly routine page to be especially helpful. I have learned over the years that there's always a place to start if you want to do something, and that place is right wherever you happen to be.

So you're at a starting level, too? How do you plan to begin?

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Durga, well I have spend a week in the hospital in April and haven't been able to start up again since a week ago.
    I had a good basis stamina from playing tennis and walking 2 hours a week so I don't have to start completely anew.
    right now this is what my week looks like:
    - 2 times an hour of tennis (I start slowly with a lot of breaks and stretching in between
    - 3 days I walk for about half an hour. (grocery shopping, the supermarket is half an hour walk from my work.)
    - two days I do weight training. wall-push ups (I can do only 19 now), wall-squats (can only do 10 in one round) and knee-hand planking, (can only do 10 seconds per try)...
    - if I can manage I switch one of my walking days to go to the gym and do extra cardio and weight work.

Besides that I have two young kittens who demand play-time and me racing after them up and down the stairs.

I just started to Mark's work out two weeks ago but after never having worked a muscle in the last 7 years it's not going all that spectacular.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Durga, I firmly believe you can make some dramatic over all health improvements by gradually building you fitness. Don't be in a rush. Start easy and slowly build intensity as you adjust and don't think about exercise as a means to loose weight, your goal should be a more holistic approach to better health. The Primal exercise program as outlined by Mark is a good starting point, but don't feel discouraged if you need to begin with something less. In order of importance - 1)begin with some basic strength training using body weight and light dumbbells 2) Make walking a cornerstone of your daily activities 3) Work on your flexibility and mobility by taking some beginner yoga or pilates classes. I am a 61 year old male in good shape and perhaps not a good role model as I have always done some form of exercise, but I work with many people in their 50's thru 80's helping them employ the Paleo/Primal diet and exercise approach with great success. I know you can do it...Wishing you the best in your journey to better health!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    You'll do great; no worries.

My mom is currently 62 and loves her weight training. It's definitely something that's good for you! Way to go!

Also, you might consider different desk options. We have (in our office) a standing desk, a sitting desk where we can go between a chair or a ball. It's just good to have variety because you do get tired being in one position. We also have a little writing desk on the floor -- so we can sit there. I know it makes us sound crazy, but we just move the lap top and continue on.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What great encouragement! Thanks to everyone!

I've let myself get very weak over the last few years, not just because of age but because I'm nervous about hurting myself. It's inspiring to see folks in such great shape, but I need to build everything from the ground up. However, I do believe it's possible--people do it every day.

All right. This is where I'll start, soft and gently, and build step by step: Some weight training (including my own body weight), some walking, and a return to Tai Chi (which I really enjoy) for flexibility and balance. And more moving around at the office!!! I can do this.

You know, it sounds so simple, but when you're in the middle of it, it's not so clear. I always feel like I should be doing pull-ups in the trees. But I'm just not there yet!

Thanks for everyone's patience. I'm taking all your words to heart.