Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variety in meals........What do you do? page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Variety in meals........What do you do?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I'm curious to know how varied people's meals are. There are so many great recipes out there it can be overwhelming to choose one. For me, I enjoy cooking but I keep it very simple and hardly vary what I have, which I don't mind because I love what I eat.

I usually have:

Roast chicken or roast beef

Roast vegetables

Banana and egg pancake

Dark chocolate

Salad

What do you do?

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    I follow Stalkerville - Recipe Sharing Site for Paleo Inspired, Real Food and try to get inspiration there.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I get obsessed with a food item and eat it a ton for a period of time. Then I move on to another food item. Right now that item is bananas.

Currently it is:
    -lamb shoulders, cuts of beef (ribeye, beef ribs, liver) eaten with eggs & sauerkraut. I get fancy in how I prepare this though.
    -bananas. Not sure why I love them so much right now but I do!
    -bone broth soup made with chunking some neck bones (which has meat on them) in there.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

andreoilin is offline Member
    I'm the same as turpuoisepadssion, with a tendency to get obsessed with one thing, eat it for a while, and move on.

That said, I've never gotten tired of bananas. All throughout college breakfast for me included a banana pretty much every single day. I don't think I could ever get tired of them.

My current obsession is pumpkin purée, in accordance with the season, though I'm trying not to go too wild with it so I don't get sick of it.

What I'm attempting to do currently is follow some seasonal eating (summer had a lot of homegrown courgette, summer squash, cucumbers, peaches, etc), now autumn will have more winter squash, soups and stews, apples, pears, leeks, the garden is still producing tomatoes, fall harvests of spinach, cabbage, and beetroot are en route too.

Overall, I have consistent staples and go-to's, but I try to mix it up and be adventurous with new things, recipes, cuts of meat, once or twice a week. This week marinated and grilled chicken hearts are the new item on the menu. Thinking about skewering them with some Brussels sprouts - they're great on the grill.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I bought a 30lb "freezer filler" of pork which is pushing me to cook different cuts and new meals. Plus, I try and eat seasonally, so tonight is pork shanks with apples and onions. YUM!

During the week, I keep it simple, something grilled and some veggies.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I get obsessed with a food item and eat it a ton for a period of time. Then I move on to another food item. Right now that item is bananas.

Currently it is:
    -lamb shoulders, cuts of beef (ribeye, beef ribs, liver) eaten with eggs & sauerkraut. I get fancy in how I prepare this though.
    -bananas. Not sure why I love them so much right now but I do!
    -bone broth soup made with chunking some neck bones (which has meat on them) in there.

Sort of do the same.

If there's a tv programme or a new cook book I have or restaurant I been too get abit obsessed with that kind of food.

But generally always vary.

If I had fish for lunch it's meat for dinner and other way also . Veg always vary and carbs it's either rice or potato at the moment.

From London England UK

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I mix it up. Beef, salmon, lamb, goat, squid, chicken livers, grass fed hot dogs, and bison are staples. Pork and chicken occasionally (though decently sourced pork has become easier to find recently for me).

I try new things. This year, I've purchased goat milk products. I've cooked beef heart, Brazilian Cheese Bread, marrow bones as a meal, deli style beef tongue, goat, pork belly, lamb and bison liver (I still like chicken livers best), and made my first batches of gravlax.

My veggies are more boring, but I'm working on it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    As well as seasonally, there is the old fashioned idea of a weekly cycle: no-holds barred sunday lunch, Monday leftovers, midweek offal / cheap cuts, Friday fish etc. etc.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    I buy whatever meat is on offer/reduced, and fruit and veg I mostly buy seasonally. So my meals are pretty varied
    The only real staples are chicken, I roast a chicken most weeks and get a few meals + bone broth out of it, bananas, bacon and eggs.

SteveRB is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I make vegetable soups often. I buy organic vegetable broth from Trader Joe's because it's inexpensive and I'm too lazy to make my own. Never the same recipe, mix it up. Also chicken and rice soup, chicken with vegetable soup, beef with vegetable soup.

I learned to cook Chinese food from books by Fuchsia Dunlop (Land of Plenty, Revolutionary cooking) and Grace Young (Stir-frying to the Sky's Edge). Mostly stir-fries with meat and vegetables, but also stews and braised dishes. Other than the condiments it is fairly primal...meat/fish/rice/vegetables/garlic, ginger, spices, cilantro. Recipes are just a template, you can get creative with them.

Taco salad. Chili. Pan Sauted or broiled fish. Grilled chicken kabobs with bell peppers and onion. Eggs and bacon. Salads.

I get so sick of my own cooking. Thank god for Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Persian, and Mexican restaurants. I love cheat meals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast