Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which saw for bones? page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i have used a pruning saw on venison leg bones and i also axe them. a good bone saw would be rather nifty. bones from the shop, i ask nicely and get them to saw up for me.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    First thing that came to mind for me was using an autopsy bone saw but that is just the way my mind works....sorry.

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

my only concern with an autopsy saw is it prob doesnt stay sharp as long as a more mundane saw as i bet they only use them once. i def need a bone saw. had to axe the end off a venison hock today to fit it in the slow cooker. who knows where the axe had been either. thinking about it, i can disjoint an animal with just a knife. you just need to cut the joints in the right place. and i reckon a $10 hand saw from the local hardware store would prob do the trick for any bones you need to saw up.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    First thing that came to mind for me was using an autopsy bone saw but that is just the way my mind works....sorry.

It would work.... as, that is it's intended purpose......

Owen is offline Senior Member
    The autopsy and butcher's saws are in some ways similar...... I'm thinking of getting the small hunter's one as I only occasionally need to do this -after I've cooked a large joint on the bone and want to then use the remaining bone for broth

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Ha ha this thread is taking on sinister qualities but then I did call it 'which saw for bones'.

I've ended up finding a really cheap little hacksaw in a diy store, didn't know they could be that cheap. Now to defrost one of my legs of lamb.....

Out of interest, what I do is do a meat on the bone roast, then once the meats been eaten I cut up the bone for broth, I find that although its already been cooked once, it still makes awesome broth.

i make broth from my left over roast bones and carcasses as well as fresh bones.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i make broth from my left over roast bones and carcasses as well as fresh bones.
    Yes I find that if you cook a whole fish in the oven, then set aside the head and backbone you can make a fantastic broth with that too - worthy of just drinking on the spot

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    my only concern with an autopsy saw is it prob doesnt stay sharp as long as a more mundane saw as i bet they only use them once. i def need a bone saw. had to axe the end off a venison hock today to fit it in the slow cooker. who knows where the axe had been either. thinking about it, i can disjoint an animal with just a knife. you just need to cut the joints in the right place. and i reckon a $10 hand saw from the local hardware store would prob do the trick for any bones you need to saw up.
    I doubt autopsy saws are disposable, they look heavy duty. They probably just clean them well between uses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast