Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Peaks! page

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member

High Peaks!

Anyone climb adirondack high peaks? Conquered Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge today in 7 hrs flat to mark my 8 and 9 high peaks. Been primal for a while now, and wanted to share that out of 13 athletes in my group, i completed the hike the fastest (also took breaks for them to catch up), and with the least food. I live four hours from the peaks, so I woke up at 2:00am and fueled up with 1lb of pork shoulder. All i ate on the trail was two oranges and a banana with a lil bit of homemade jerky. Got home at 9:30pm, cooked a 4.5lb chicken and feasted on it. Felt great all day, and not once was i hungry. Fat is fuel.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
    Anyone climb adirondack high peaks? Conquered Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge today in 7 hrs flat to mark my 8 and 9 high peaks. Been primal for a while now, and wanted to share that out of 13 athletes in my group, i completed the hike the fastest (also took breaks for them to catch up), and with the least food. I live four hours from the peaks, so I woke up at 2:00am and fueled up with 1lb of pork shoulder. All i ate on the trail was two oranges and a banana with a lil bit of homemade jerky. Got home at 9:30pm, cooked a 4.5lb chicken and feasted on it. Felt great all day, and not once was i hungry. Fat is fuel.

We did Cascade and Porter last week - they are considered the easier ones. Planning to do Giant in a couple of weeks. How much longer did it take for you to add Rocky Peak? With days getting shorter, don't know if we can do both in one day. I'm mid 50's so I move a little slower. Many of the 20 yr olds were passing us (LOL).
    Also, had no energy problems and packed a primal lunch.

Applegirl, I really cant give you an accurate time frame for rocky ridge. We were in a big group, and my lead group took a few 10+min breaks to let the rest catch up. I think its 1.2 miles (2.4 round trip) to rocky ridge. You descend 800ft and then climb 600ft over that 1.2mi. If you want to get both, I suggest allotting 10 hours to be safe. From giant back to our cars took less than 2 hours.

Thanks! I think we've decided on Phelps, as I know that we can finish and be off the mountain before dark. It makes me sad that it's now getting dark at 7pm.
    I definitely want to tackle both Giant and Rocky Peak in one climb - next spring, I guess.

I agree with your original post about being hungry. We ate eggs and vegi for breakfast, had a lunch of chicken with greens and sweet potatoes on the summit and then didn't eat again until we got home that night after 9pm. We were fine. Really didn't need any more food, and even dinner at home was light.

Thanks again for the info, and here's to your 46ing!

I havent done Phelps, so I let me know how that goes! Its getting cold up there so bring layers for the summit! I was inside a cloud on the peak of Giant!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    That's really awesome. I thought this was gonna be a thread about biceps!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That's really awesome. I thought this was gonna be a thread about biceps!
    That is too funny!

I'll report in on Phelps, when we're done. It will be the first weekend in Oct.
    Plan to do some hiking this weekend too, but we won't be near the high peaks.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Are you working your way through this list? Adirondack Peaks

I remember one time my boyfriend and I were backpacking and we were hiking slow and steady past a peak to get to a campsite a few miles away when a couple showed up wearing running attire. They were part of the 100 peaks club and were working on 3 6000+ft peaks that day since there were 3 pretty close to each other in this area. Later we heard them arrive at our campsite at something like 9pm after having summitted all of them. They got water and then rode their bikes the 10 miles out to the nearest road in the dark and freezing cold wind. I was pretty impressed, but never did become a peak bagger myself. I'll always remember them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

My husband and I have begun working on our 46 peaks (there are 46 peaks in the Adirondacks that are above 4000 ft. If you finish them you are a 46er). I believe there is a 100 and 200 club for the tallest peaks on the east coast.

We're looking forward to working on them. We're not spring chickens. I believe DeltaC is working on his 46er badge too.
    We've hiked for years, with lots of mountains, but now we're doing this as a project. Will probably take us a couple of years.
    I love the Adirondacks.
    Another View from Porter.jpg

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What a great achievement!

I just do my usual hike, about 1 1/2 hours up our mountain to the lodge where I had a leisurely stop and my first meal of the day. We are coming into summer but there were still a couple of snowy patches to cross. Back down by a longer route, for about 4hours total outing (maybe three hours or so walking). Returned the car to my dh and decided to walk home so that gave me another hour's walk.

I'm mightily impressed with your efforts and wish you success on your future challenges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast