Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grok-friendly hiking fare? page

skookum is offline Senior Member

Grok-friendly hiking fare?

Primal Fuel
    I'll be spending 5 days over the Solstice doing what I love to do the most - hiking in the Olympic Mountains. This hike will cover 100 miles through two of the most amazing river valleys on the continent, many thousands of feet elevation gain and loss, and all the solitude I could ask for.

I find, however, that I am at a loss for food. What would Grok have carried with him? A few nuts, seeds, and dried mushrooms? I don't think that will do for me. I'm used to the instant oats for breakfast, carby trail mix throughout the day, and a big ol 2-person bag of mac-n-cheese or such for dinner while out on the trail. That won't do this time.

A couple of years ago, I tried the whole paleo hiking food thing, but I wasn't creative enough, and I left myself with nothing more than instant oats for breakfast and home-made pemmican with dehydrated mashed potatoes and veggies for the rest of my meals. By day 3, I was none too excited by eating, and was completely done with food by day 5, all while doing 20+ miles a day. It wasn't a recipe for a succesful and enjoyable hike, let me assure you. Fortunately, it was berry season.

So this time, I need to do better. Food needs to be highly portable, lightweight, highly nutritious, and PB-friendly. It's pretty darn early in a very late-to-start summer season, so foraging opportunities will be limited.

I do plan on making up a batch of pemmican to take along, but I was wondering if any of you Grok-stars out there can offer up any gems of advice? I was thinking of taking along a supply of my WPI powder for extra protein - thoughts? Do you have a favorite recipe you like to take along into the wilderness? How do you approach food when civilization is two mountain ranges away?

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Some organic grass-fed beef jerky could go quite a ways. Blackwing sells some great tasting stuff.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am actually working on some ideas for us, namely my husband who does a lot more hiking then I do. Here is where we are at currently:
    -Homemade Jerky
    -Nuts
    -Dried fruits (small amount)
    -Homemade dried veggies (zucchini, squash, sweet potato chips sort of thing)
    -Dehydrated eggs (You can buy powdered eggs, premade egg breakfasts some with bacon or ham but extra ingredients, or dehydrate your own)

There are some more organic or simple dehydrated meals that are not 'too bad'....you just have to really dig around and pick your poison so to speak....potatoes, rice, or other grains since most contain them. Maybe for one or two meals especially while doing heavy exercise it is not nearly as bad. Some of the soups and stews seem to fit closer. Its hard to find organic and non vegetarian, but you could consider adding dehydrated meat to a decent organic one.

Several companies sell dehydrated food 'components'. Like check out this link, you can buy meat and veggies dehydrated in bulk. You can then add your own seasonings, dehydrated onions and garlic, and create your own recipes. If you dig around, you can actually find a lot of ingredients NOT from backpacking food companies and get a better price...especially for things like onions, garlic.

If you are really adventurous, you can even dehydrate all your own food ahead of time...meat and all, and make your recipes that way. I checked out a couple books at the library to get some ideas....for now I am not ready to dehydrate meat outside of jerky....so I will buy bulk for now. Here are a couple books and you could sift through and find ideas (even if most of the recipes are high carb, there is great general advice on packing, planning, etc). If anything, they give you an idea on ratios and combining ingredients.

http://www.amazon.com/Fork-Trail-Mou...5854897&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourm...ref=pd_sim_b_2
    http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Food-Coo...ref=pd_sim_b_1

One last item, I have heard some folks drink yerba mate on the trail for extra 'greens', even though it is essentially just a tea. The sort of 'possible' added nutrients from it....which is debatable, but I still like it just as a tea.

Best of luck!!!
    Last edited by Meadow; 06-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    You could look into making your own "boil in a bag" meals. Sort of complete meals. The military does it, so there has to be a process. I think if you made something like stew or chili, then vacuum sealed it while still hot, it would keep? I think though, that I would check to see if that would be safe. I mean, you'd boil the shit out of it at camp. If it's vacuum sealed it should be ok?

My mother in law, she cans soups and stews and various types of meat in sealer jars, and they sit in the pantry for a while before she uses them. Could the same process apply to vacuum sealing?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    This is so cool, and my hubby used to do something similar with chili's and sauces etc when we would camp pre groklings. (we don't rough it quite as much with toddlers! )

http://pct-hike.randsco.com/Planning...s.html#recipes

Canned fish, jerky and dry cured sausage are also great.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    For backpacking, these are epic and amazing. Most of them have sunflower oil, but other than that, as long as you don't pick the ones that have rice and potatoes, they're pretty good. Combine these with some canned chicken and you've got yourself an awesome backcountry meal.

*NOTE ... I only use these when I'm gonna be gone more than 2 days. Depending on where you are and how cold it gets at night, any pre-cooked/prepared meal with meat/veggies might be ok for a couple days.

You could also bring avocados, they keep well for 3-4 days before they start to get over-ripe.

Homemade trail mix with nuts, seeds, and dried fruit (w/o added sugar) is another option.

Or, get a few organic green apples and a jar of almond butter (if it comes in a glass jar, just transfer it to a plastic/tupperware container).

Beef jerky, packets of tuna/salmon are pretty standard, and depending on how hot it gets, hard-boiled eggs will keep for 2-3 days.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If you can deal with cheese, mini BabyBels are individually wax-wrapped and can survive several days without refrigeration...

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    These mountain house wrap fillers popped up recently, not great still, but maybe an option for some who do not mind all the 'extra' ingredients. Looking over the choices, the buffalo chicken seems to be the least carbie option......don't put with wrap, and you have a plain meat and veggie dehydrated meal.

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.m...egory_Code=MHW

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure how to word this... but does dehydrating food reduce any of the nutrients? I think dehydrating vegetables to make chips for my work lunch sounds pretty cool, really.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You could hunt animals and roast them over a fire.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast