Thread: It will be interesting to see the results... page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

It will be interesting to see the results...

Primal Fuel
    I've been Primal for three years now

Pre-primal history of digestion issues, hormone imbalance(endometriosis,hyperplasia, PCOS), almost gestational diabetes with each of my pregnancies.

Primal- healing and weight loss began, blood sugar under control, arthritis gone, cholesterol great, 30 lbs lost, muscle gained.
    Discovered H Pylori & high cortisol, got treated. Feeling great. Went off birth control to see if my body will regulate on its own now that I've healed in so many other ways.

I gained almost 10lbs in two months. Had appt with NP and she suspects it's the PCOS/ blood sugar. I'd be very surprised. My at home fasting blood glucose was 79 this morning. I got fasting blood glucose, insulin and HbA1C tested at lab this morning.

I'm very curious about the results.
    There is definitely something off balance. We'll also be looking into methylation pathways and hormone levels.

I'm 38 and really wanting the weight gain to stop after I've come so far.

Anyone out there have a similar journey?
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    What is your diet and workouts like? Do you sleep well? Is there a lot of stress in your life?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

My diet is 100% primal. I have carbs below 100. I focus on nutrient dense foods. Bone broth and organ meats included.

Workouts are 2-3 x per week of strength/cardio -kind of like CrossFit WODs. At home. I do 5k mud obstacle runs so I try to keep running in there once a week, sometimes not as often. Lots of walking for the stress relief and enjoyment.

Sleep is ok. Not the best. Unusually in bed by 11 up at 6. I have three kids so it can be interrupted often.

Biggest stress in my life is kids and homeschooling.

I really do think it comes down to hormone imbalance, detox issues or PCOS making me resistant even with the great food going in.

My Journal

Some results are in:
    Chris Kresser's recommended numbers:

http://chriskresser.com/handouts/CHD_testing.pdf

MarkerIdeal
    Fasting blood glucose (mg/dL)<86*
    OGGT / post-meal (mg/dL after 2 hours)<120
    Hemoglobin A1c (%)<5.3

His Fasting Insulin recommendation: <5

My numbers:
    Blood glucose 85
    HbA1c 5.1
    Insulin 6.9

My 1hour post meal numbers are between 82-128

So it looks like in spite of my diet I may still be insulin resistant. Hmmmm.

My Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am going to be 38 tomorrow & have one child (soon to be 7). I have been experiencing endless weight gain after stopping to starve 1 year ago, last October. Overall I gained about 10-15 lbs. 3 months ago in attempts to stop the weight gain I stopped BCP. It did not help, but I have not gotten any periods yet. Despite best efforts, as soon as I buckle up and drop to 133 lbs, I gain right back up to 135 +. I gained 2 or 3 sizes.

I do aikodo 2x a week, hapkido 1 x a week, swim ~ 1-2 x a week, lift bar (but just switched to KBs) 3 x a week (switched to 2x a week), walk at least 30 min a day. Started sprinting again yesterday.

It's frustrating, but I am not sure there is a remedy for being a 40 yo woman inclined to plumpness save for starvation. I have tried a lot of things over the years, and the bottom-line is that eating comfortably is simply no good for a lean figure. Maybe it's a consequence of giving birth too late in life. I dunno.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I'm sorry for your frustrations Leida. I'm convinced we aren't supposed to starve ourselves. Yet I am also having to let go of the expectation of being the willowy, super lean, super woman. I was just beginning to accept the size 8 that I got to, but now it's inching its way back to a size 10.

I know it's not a matter of calories in calories out. It's about hormones. I'm focusing on giving my body the nutrients it needs to be healthy. It's just beginning to look more and more like I am among those whose genetics are winning and I need the extra support. I'm considering going back on slow release Metformin.

I will of course continue the Primal lifestyle. My health has never been so good! I'm sad I didn't know about it sooner. But I will do my best to help my body recover from the years of following conventional wisdom.

My Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    See, I am not sure if we are supposed or not to starve. Starvation and far shorter life-spans were prevalent throughout the human history and are still prevalent today. Eating to comfort levels and living 60+ years is just not typical for a natural human. I also know that taking hormones ain't natural. Seems weird to avoid conventional beef or chickens because of the hormones, and then pop a pill every morning. Starving is much more natural that supplements, drugs and full tummy every day... and I would do it too, if I did not turn into a wreck whenever I try to fast for 12+ hours. Look, I dunno, I am going in circles around it... just wanna tell you are not alone!!!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.