Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartburn while eating primal? page

Roberta13 is offline Junior Member

Heartburn while eating primal?

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to primal eating, only a week into it, and things seem to be going well - don't feel as bloated as I did before, feeling energetic, sleeping well, blah blah. But since dinner last night, i've had the worst gas pains in my stomach. I ate grilled chicken and asparagus for dinner, and it started after that and has continued all night, all day today, and still have it this p.m. Is this something others have experienced when starting out? Seems weird.

Any observations from more experienced people would be appreciated. Thanks!

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Two things that jump right out to consider is your ratio of acid to alkaline producing foods and a potential allergy.

I ate 100% Paleo and resolved long-term GERD. Every now and again though, I would get an episode of heartburn. Testing ended up showing sensitivity to eggs, tomatoes, and carrots - all which were staples of my diet. Although both foods you ate are relatively low on the allergen list, I do have a buddy who is sensitive to chicken.

With regards to acid-base balance, I tell people to use the palm size guideline for protein and then put the other hand next to it and that's the minimum amount of veggies you should have. In other words, a handful of meat, and two handfuls of veggies.

You also could be experiencing some rebellion by nasty gut flora or a candida overgrowth as you begin to starve them of their sugar smack. You may want to consider a high-dose probiotic intervention for a week or so and then taper down to a maintenance dose or up the fermented foods.
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 09-21-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Thanks for your reply. I did eat more of the asparagus than the chicken, so still can't figure out what's causing this. I'll have to note if i get the same reaction the next time i have chicken. I almost wonder if it's that I'm not eating enough food that actually "sticks to my ribs", so the stomach acids have nothing to do but tear it up on my stomach lining! We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Could also be something as simple as whatever the chicken and asparagus were seasoned with too. And if they were a little too "grilled" as well. My bro-in-law thinks it's not "done unless there is a nice, black coal-like crust to it (minor exaggeration but you get my point). Whenever we have grilled meat over there, I almost always notice a little discomfort vs. "properly" grilled meats.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Odd, but fibrous veggies cause me pain and gas, too. I don't about asparagus, I haven't eaten it in a long time. But, yes, vegetables are a known cause of bloating, gas, etc. for many with gut issues.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

it's baack! woke up fine this a.m., ate two small sausage patties (that i made from scratch, not bought) while waiting for coffee, and started feeling it coming on again. Maybe this primal eating isn't for me... if not, I guess i ought to just quit eating b/c grains and wheat didn't feel good either. Sigh.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I have it too with specific foods. banana's and too many eggs... but also since I eat primal I have an acidic feeling in the back of my throat. I think it has to do with rewiring your body.

Imagine this... your body lived on a SAD for a long time. All systems are attuned to that. Now you are throwing away all those things that it's used to in one week. all systems run awry and your body react in the only way it knows. It needs time to adjust.

I have a few things that I found out helped
    - don't eat too much natural fats immediately (cut back the use of coconut oil, olive oil and fatty foods like avocado's and salmon) Build them back into your diet slowly
    - eat salads and green leafy veggies for lunch with not too much meat, start slowly with building up the meat.
    - if you take dairy, drink full fat milk or take full fat yoghurt for breakfast. if it works like it does with me it will take away a bit of the acidity in your stomach for a while.
    - drink extra water! dilute the feeling... use natural teas if hot water feels better in your stomach.

I hope my tips might help you. I got rid of the acidity yesterday but it's back today because I snacked too much on coconut based things...

MarielGO - that does help - thanks for the suggestions. I agree that some of it might be just my digestive system not knowing how to act from not getting any grains. Also, I think I'm not eating enough b/c I haven't been to the store lately and I'm just not creative enough to figure out what to make that's easy, fast, and doesn't involve bread! I'm not starving myself b/c I'm not hungry, but I think it's still wreaking havoc with my stomach.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Yes, an empty stomach still produces fluids to deal with food. If it is doing that with nothing to work on your stomach content will get acid. I use to eat a dry cracker when I had that at night but now I try to drink extra water

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your body may just not be producing enough acid to deal with the protein content of large, meaty meals. Chris Kresser's website has an entire series on Heartburn/GERD and what you're experiencing sounds to me (not a doctor, no medical knowledge, don't listen to me ever or you'll probably spontaneously combust or worse, disclaimer over) like hypochlorydria, and I had great success with a Betaine HCl/Pepsin regimen as described therein. Chris Kresser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast