Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Now? page

wattfood is offline Member

Where to Now?

Shop Now
    I have come to you all out of total frustration!

Over the past year i have pretty much just been counting calories, mindful of eating as fresh as possible.
    I have lost 20kg (still another 20 to go) but over the past 4 months i have lost nothing, so i went to a nutritionist and she pretty much put me on a diet of two serves of dairy a day (200ml or 200g each), 1 serve of fruit, 1 serve of fat (1/4 avocado or 12 almonds), 3 serves of protein (100g each), 2 serves of carbs (bread, potato, rice, pasta etc) and as many non starchy veg as i like (mainly spinach, broc, cauli, beans, zucc, squash)

Since going to the nutritionist i have still not lost any more weight, ive actually put some one! you can imagine my anger at paying someone $125 to give me a diet that put weight on me!

I have been reading and reading and reading, no DEVOURING Mark's wisdom over the past week and a bit and it is now making so much sense to me, i am actually hitting myself a bit that someone from a science background (i work in pathology) did not understand all of this earlier!

My question now is what should i do? obviously, follow the principles Mark lays out, but how much?
    i am sorry if this seems like a silly question but my mind is so muddled up now and i am confused and i need of direction before i fall off the band wagon, i am proud of my weight loss and want to keep it going.

Some vital stats..

5 Foot
    32 yr old
    currently 85kg
    want to be between 65 and 70kg
    willing and able to exercise

How much protein should i eat a day to lose weight?
    What else should i have? (non starchy veg? any fruit? how much oil?)
    I still have a lot of organic protein powder (WPI), does that fit into this diet?
    Are supplements still allowed? my PT has me on CLA and L. Carnitine

Thank you for any and all advice
    it is so very much appreciated!
    x Claire

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Claire, I can really sense your frustration. I'm glad you've found primal, it really does make so much sense when the info falls into place. Good on you for the weight loss so far. I am a little taller than you (5'4") and quite a little older (49), but I was easily able to reach my goal weight with this way of eating and have continued happily for over a year.

My inclination would be base each meal around protein and non starchy veg, with a little wholesome fat (eg olive oil, avocado, butter - no processed seed oils), and limit fruit to one or two per day in the meantime. Eliminate grains (bread, pasta etc) but you can have starchy veges such as pumpkin, carrot, kumara in modest quantities.

For example, Breakfast two eggs and silverbeet omelette, or cottage cheese with almonds and a piece of fruit. Lunch big salad with chicken and olive oil dressing. Dinner steak with broccoli and carrots. Snacks berries or apple or almonds.

I also did some weight training exercise and general walking.

I don't see that supplements will hurt. The protein powder is prob ok as well but real food is better IMO. I don't feel like I eat protein to lose weight but to maintain my body (and to build/rebuild muscle after exercise). It's also very satisfying. So if you eat enough protein, not too many carbs and make up the difference with a little dietary fat and lots of stored body fat, you should lose weight. Good luck.
    Last edited by Annieh; 09-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.

wattfood is offline Member
    thank you for your kind words of support
    even though i havent started yet (still making my way through all the info), i am already feeling "better" having found a logic to eating right for life, im sure hoping it helps me lose weight but above all a return to natural health will be the top score!

i probably wont buy more of the protein powder but since i do have quite a bit of it (a bit of hemp pro powder and vege and pea pro powder too) i figure i may as not let it go to waste if it is still okay to use.

when you say you have chicken or fish, how much are you actually having? 100g? 200g? eating till full?

is there a golden number for protein and fat i should aim for?
    i will definitely be keeping the protein below 50g

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Hi Watfood, it might help to consider that you don't need to count or measure anything if you are staying withing primal/paleo foods - you can just eat according to hunger. If your main food groups are meat and vegetables, with some fruit, then your body should conform to its genetic 'blueprint' and become leaner. Hunger is the best measure of what, in terms of quantity, you should be eating. This can be difficult to adjust to after a lifetime of controlling food intake, but is also a freedom you will quickly appreciate.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Eating according to hunger doesn't work for everyone, some people's satiety cues are broken.

I would suggest you keep a food diary online. You're just starting out now so stick to the basics, then you can tweak your calories, macros, etc to fit your needs.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I don't tend to measure either, but indeed there is a formula for calculating the amount of protein. It is related to your lean body mass rather than your total actual weight and I think is up to 1g per pound depending on activity level (I find that it's very confusing because the measures are not both in metrics).

But anyway, I think 50g sounds awfully low, even though you are not tall. You could probably safely double it. I have two eggs and sometimes bacon as well for breakfast, and tonight I had a really substantial portion of chicken, I mean we ate a whole one between three of us. I have no idea what it would weigh, and in any case the weight of the chicken is not the same as the weight of the protein in it.

Sorry if that is too vague, perhaps someone else will be a bit more specific. I see no reason to be afraid of eating protein, it's usually the most expensive part of the meal so self-limiting in that respect. If you don't get enough you will be hungry no matter how much else you eat.

Regarding fat, you want to train your body to use fat for energy, in particular the stores already in place on your body I did this by keeping carbs relatively low and eating good quality fats like butter and olive oil but in small quantities initially. If you go too high you won't lose weight, but at least you won't gain unless carbs are also too high. Well that was my experience for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Annieh; 09-22-2013 at 04:25 AM.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    At the beginning I probably overate on primal foods also - but crucially it didn't derail the overall process of improving health and weight loss - the satiety cues are going to return quickly if your diet is clean, even albeit with some overeating.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Claire,

You can go Primal for the full 100% but you can also do it 80/20... it's more about what your body tells you than what is written in stone. Try the 100% for 30 days and see how your body reacts, if it doesn't feel right you can up the the carbs with low sugar things.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    You've lost a lot of weight. I'd stop trying to lose weight, start lifting weights, add some muscle, then lose more weight. You are going to get to a point where you have to cut a bunch of calories because your metabolism runs down.

I had a stall for a while and watched my calorie intake diminish with no results. I focused on exercises, put on 5-6 lbs, went down a dress size, but most importantly went from maintaining on 1500-1600 calories a day to closer to 2000-2100 calories a day. Now, when I go to focus on losing fat, I can (hopefully) cut calories to a more reasonable level and see results.

Adding muscle is something people don't think about, but hey, we are losing weight to LOOK better, not have a lower number. I do workout very hard but I don't need to be so stressed about my eating, so the trade off works for me.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I don't tend to measure either, but indeed there is a formula for calculating the amount of protein. It is related to your lean body mass rather than your total actual weight and I think is up to 1g per pound depending on activity level (I find that it's very confusing because the measures are not both in metrics).
    I thought it was 0.7-1.5g per kg of lean body weight? I agree it's confusing. And for most people lean body weight is an estimation anyway. I settled on 0.5g per pound of total weight at goal - which for me meant 60g - as a minimum. Most days I'm more like 75g. My only real exercise is yoga 2x/week.

I completely agree with Annie that <50g seems like too little. OP, is there a reason for that?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast