Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first grass fed steak. page

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member

My first grass fed steak.

Primal Fuel
    It was a ribeye. Almost too good to eat.
    Just the smell of it raw was a thousand times better than store bought beef and the taste not even comparable.

There is apparently a grass fed cow farm just a couple miles from
    My house.

Washed it down with a glass of raw milk, also local.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Yay! I love the grassfed dry-aged rib eye from my butcher shop. SO DAMN GOOD.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A clean cow is a delicious cow. Happy you enjoyed it and have easy access.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Congratulations on such a wonderful experience! I always thought mine would be the same.
    But I'd like to know, how did you prepare and cook your steak?
    A few weeks ago I bought my first piece of grass-fed beef at Whole Paycheck, but the result was not so good. It was unbelievably tough (had to spit out bites after much chewing, it just wouldn't break down), and just not that mouth-watering good taste I was expecting.
    I don't have a functioning grill, so I had to use the broiler. I've used cast iron skillets (as per Alton Brown) in the past, but had unpleasant results.
    I know grass-fed beef is lean, but this first experience of mine doesn't bode well for future purchases, despite my yearning to eat corn and GMO-free fed animal products.
    I'd love to know what you (or anybody) have done so my next steak is as good as yours was.
    Oh, and when I do get more grass-fed beef, it won't be from that market, but from a smaller butcher specializing in grass-fed beef, in case that will make a difference.
    Thanks, and happy eating!
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    Congratulations on such a wonderful experience! I always thought mine would be the same.
    But I'd like to know, how did you prepare and cook your steak?
    A few weeks ago I bought my first piece of grass-fed beef at Whole Paycheck, but the result was not so good. It was unbelievably tough (had to spit out bites after much chewing, it just wouldn't break down), and just not that mouth-watering good taste I was expecting.
    I don't have a functioning grill, so I had to use the broiler. I've used cast iron skillets (as per Alton Brown) in the past, but had unpleasant results.
    I know grass-fed beef is lean, but this first experience of mine doesn't bode well for future purchases, despite my yearning to eat corn and GMO-free fed animal products.
    I'd love to know what you (or anybody) have done so my next steak is as good as yours was.
    Oh, and when I do get more grass-fed beef, it won't be from that market, but from a smaller butcher specializing in grass-fed beef, in case that will make a difference.
    Thanks, and happy eating!
    Buy fattier grassfed and cook it medium rare. Ribeye is a good fatty cut.

Or braise some cheaper grassfed beef ribs.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I remember my first grass fed experience, it wasn't unlike popping a cherry. Guess I didn't cook it long enough.
    nihil

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    Try lamb chops next!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I have tried beef and lamb from 3 different farms and pork and chicken from 2. I don't think grass-fed/pastured is the only variable that matters, because some have definitely been better than others. Breed and handling of the meat after butchering are two things that come to mind...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    It was a ribeye. Almost too good to eat.
    Just the smell of it raw was a thousand times better than store bought beef and the taste not even comparable.

There is apparently a grass fed cow farm just a couple miles from
    My house.

Washed it down with a glass of raw milk, also local.
    Awesome. The taste difference is amazing and was what inspired me to seek out raw milk as well. Both items taste so much better than supermarket quality that it really is hard to believe.

ShaunP is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I have tried beef and lamb from 3 different farms and pork and chicken from 2. I don't think grass-fed/pastured is the only variable that matters, because some have definitely been better than others. Breed and handling of the meat after butchering are two things that come to mind...
    This is very true. I have dexters cows as they are so tasty. I know other breeders that hard feed there cattle and say it produces a different type of fat than that produced on grass alone. So mine are kept on grass only!!! The other ting that makes a difference is how long the carcass hangs for after killing. In the UK if you buy supermarket vac pac it is probably been hung for a few days. I had mine hung for 28 days and it produces an amazing taste and texture. Commercial producers dont have the space to hang for that timescale.

I am so lucky to be able to produce my own meat but I know how much it cost for me to do so. If you can find a farm producer then buy direct and cut out the wholesale chain. My problem is going to be that the local abattoir has just been taken over by a large food group and will stop doing home kills. It is like a conspiracy against small producers as the majority of consumers are brain washed for cheap food with no thought to what it was fed. You are what you eat. So if a eat only grass fed beef, does that really make me a vegetarian???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast