Thread: Fall Vegetables and Paleo Soups and Stews page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Fall Vegetables and Paleo Soups and Stews

Shop Now
    I focus on eating seasonally and getting my fruits and vegetables as local and fresh as possible. The fruit season has passed and now its time to harvest those wonderful fall vegetables - Endives, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Pumpkins, Spinach and Zucchini. I love the fall and look forward to making some great Paleo stews and soups. My base is usually pastured beef and bacon sauteed in coconut oil with onions, garlic and jalapenos, then into the big pot with some red wine and whatever vegetables I can lay my hands on to slow cook. The aroma that permeates the house is amazing, especially on those cool fall evenings. The great thing is you can make up a large batch and have it for the next week of dinners (or lunch or breakfast!)

Does anyone else do this and perhaps you could share some recipes. Happy eating everyone!
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Pumpkin soup. Pumpkin (organic, but canned), butter, cream, curry powder. I just play 'til it tastes right. I've used chicken stock to thin it if it needs it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Pumpkin soup. Pumpkin (organic, but canned), butter, cream, curry powder. I just play 'til it tastes right. I've used chicken stock to thin it if it needs it.
    Sounds great! Think I'll give it a try.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Butternut squash soup

Butternut squash, peeled and seeded
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 cups chicken stock
    Nutmeg
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut squash in chunks. Melt butter in large pot. Add onion and cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add squash and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove squash and place in a blender and puree. Return squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Irish stew: Family reicipie, very simple but totally reliable and foolproof

Chucksteak / beefskirt
    Good quality beef stock (ideally bone broth)
    Mixture of winter veg - carrots / potatoes / swede / parsnip (whatever your preference)
    Celery
    Parsley, thyme, rosemary
    Splash of red wine
    Dash of worcester sauce
    Salt / pepper
    Optional (large spoonful of butter)

1) Cut the meat into chunks and boil in water - scrape of any scum that forms on the top

2) Chop half of the potatoes and add to the meat with the chopped veg (not the celery yet), the bone broth and half of the herbs finely chopped

3) Boil until the potato begins to soften and can be broken down in the stew as a thickener.

4) Add in the rest of the potato plus the chopped celery, wine, worcester sauce and any other personal preference ingredients (I don't use any but you can add a little cumin or garam masala for an interesting twist)
    Simmer until the meat becomes tender and stew is a nice consistency (varying times needed for this depending on size of stew) Toward the end add in the rest of the herbs and season to taste. For extra richness, stir in some butter!

I also do this with a leg of lamb - so I roast a leg of lamb, then make a stew with the leftover meat and bone - using all the same ingredients.
    Last edited by Owen; 09-22-2013 at 04:54 AM.

SteveRB is offline Junior Member
    Picadillo-

brown some ground beef and saute garlic (or use garlic powder)

in a pot/pan/dutch oven- add:

tomato sauce (8 oz for every 1 lb of beef)
    chopped onion
    bell peppers
    chopped green olives
    diced potatoes
    little water
    little olive oil

Season with cumin (cumin is a must in this dish), black pepper, oregano, and salt. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Serve with rice or alone. Cuban picadillo also has raisins, but I leave them out.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Butternut squash soup

Butternut squash, peeled and seeded
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 cups chicken stock
    Nutmeg
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut squash in chunks. Melt butter in large pot. Add onion and cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add squash and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove squash and place in a blender and puree. Return squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
    Done this today for lunch.

But roasted b squash wedges . No skin . Also no onion .
    Once roasted in blender added ginger garlic salt pepper , then added stock to thickness I wanted .

Also with the peeled skin .
    It's perfect to make a crisp.

Oil salt pepper & roast for 15 mins be careful they do catch a little but you want them crispy

From London England UK

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Done this today for lunch.

But roasted b squash wedges . No skin . Also no onion .
    Once roasted in blender added ginger garlic salt pepper , then added stock to thickness I wanted .

Also with the peeled skin .
    It's perfect to make a crisp.

Oil salt pepper & roast for 15 mins be careful they do catch a little but you want them crispy

From London England UK
    I love this stuff when theres a chill in the air. Sometimes I'll add some hot peppers to spice it up a little.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Just threw a stew together tonight that turned out so well...

Chopped an onion and four cloves garlic, browned in a pot with some coconut oil. Threw in 2lbs ground pork, browned it as well. Added a jar of bone broth, a cubed turnip, parsnip, half a red kuri squash (was new at the store, thought I'd give it a try). Topped up the pot with some chicken broth I had open in the fridge. Seasoned with sage, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, salt and black pepper. Brought to a simmer, added torn leaves from 2 stalks of kale. Simmer till it's all softened, season a bit more to taste. So easy, and so good