Thread: POLYSORBATE 80 - good...bad...? page

Kris T is offline Senior Member

POLYSORBATE 80 - good...bad...?

Primal Fuel
    Bought some liquid smoke that has polysorbate 80 in it. Looked it up on Wikipedia and it sounds questionable.

Anyone have better information about using it??
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, is this something you would seek out for your cupboard and put in your food? If you wanted to emulsify your food with things you would recognize as food, what would you use? Egg yolks, probably.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I did a project on Erythropoetin injections and polysorbate 80. it is an emulsifier but at least for erythropoetin drugs, it allowed the plastic packaging of the drug to leach into the IV drug solution. (You might be able to find the study...polysorbate 80 and epoetin leachates) NOT GOOD for IV injections and caused the particular epoetin to be outlawed in Europe.

It probably also allows plastic packaging (and BPA from cans) to leach into the food solution more readily. I wouldn't personally want more plastic in my food...
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-21-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    Bought some liquid smoke that has polysorbate 80 in it. Looked it up on Wikipedia and it sounds questionable.

Anyone have better information about using it??
    To paraphrase what someone else once said, would your grandmother or great-grandmother recognize it as being "real food"? If the answer is no, then you have the answer to your question.

Eat real food, not chemicals (said the guy that is working in the petrochemical industry, um, me).
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/